Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there an Aldi or equivalent in Perth?

Is there an Aldi or equivalent in Perth?

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default Is there an Aldi or equivalent in Perth?

We will be landing with nothing but clothes to wear until our container arrives. We were hoping of buying some 'discount' goods to help keep us going - and also some cheap groceries!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all
Default Re: Is there an Aldi or equivalent in Perth?

Hi All,

My sister who already lives in Perth tells me Big W is a good and cheap place to shop, I'll be discovering this when we move out end of October - we're camping too until our container arrives.

Good luck.

Thanks all

M
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by MANDS14
We will be landing with nothing but clothes to wear until our container arrives. We were hoping of buying some 'discount' goods to help keep us going - and also some cheap groceries!!
I live in Perth and i haven't seen an Aldi at all. Just the usual, Coles, Woolworths and IGA.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

No Aldi...they have them in Melbourne though so hopefully it will cross the borders one day!

Big W and kmart for Cheep clothes, look out for the specials in various shops for cheapest grocerys. you will also find chaper bread in some bakers rather than supermarkets. the markets are also cheaper for fruit and veg as well (but only open on a weekend).

good Luck
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is anything like an Aldi here but I think there is in other states(which does not help you very much!)

Big W,Target and K-Mart are all good value for clothes and household things.Food shopping is expensive here.Sue.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For cheap groceries go to a farmers market or fruit/veg barn. Much cheaper and better quality than from the supermarkets.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MANDS14
household things - kmart, homeart, BigW, fresh veg/fruit etc I recommend Wanneroo market if you are headed NOR.

If headed NOR, send me a PM could offer to lend a plug in electric blow up queen mattress thats stands off the floor and a single one too. And a few other minor essentials.

Paula
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

WA government wont let aldi in as it's more competition ...... a rip off ....................as is much of WA, go to coles or woolies but not on a sunday and never, never, ask about daylight saving.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:15 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ :[/QUOTE]

Seems to me supermarkets here definately need cut throat competition like the UK....too monopolized here.

Hmm

Dave
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems like there is a bit of a lack of choice when it comes to shopping!

Downies- thank you very much for the kind offer! Have sent you a pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

I didn't realise that Aldi's was blocked by the WA Govt. As even the Ozzies say, they NEED competition in their supermarkets to bring prices down and get some decent competition going. They do like their protected markets. Look at the price of cars !!
Very old fashioned I'm afraid. Maybe one day they'll be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century !!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

SOR - Freo market is v good for fresh fruit and veg, incl 1 organic stall... and a few other things. Good fish stall (better than the wholesaler on Sth Terrace and the shop/restaurant on the waterfront). Coffee, Indian foods, arts & crafts. Open Friday - Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays.