Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TFN still the same?

TFN still the same?

Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default TFN still the same?

Back in 2005 I acquired a TFN number while on a WHV but (oh the folly of youth) spent the whole time sunbathing and didn't do a days work. Now in my more mature early 30's my wife and I are emigrating on August 12th and such a care free life will not be possible alas! Anyway, does anybody know if the TFN I had then would still be the same? If it is God knows what it is?! Or do I need to apply for a new one once the 176 visa is validated once we land in Aus?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

liliho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TFN still the same?

I also did WHV in 2003 and was issued with a non-resident TFN. I kept the original letter and it says you only need one TFN, regardless of changing circumstances.

Not sure of this applies to changes is residency status; guess I'll find out in July when I go back (457 visa).
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liliho
I also did WHV in 2003 and was issued with a non-resident TFN. I kept the original letter and it says you only need one TFN, regardless of changing circumstances.

Not sure of this applies to changes is residency status; guess I'll find out in July when I go back (457 visa).
Once you have a TFN then its yours for life, you keep the same one. There's a link somewhere on the ATO website for how to find out what it is if you've forgotten
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Once you have a TFN then its yours for life, you keep the same one. There's a link somewhere on the ATO website for how to find out what it is if you've forgotten
I've got the one they gave me when I was here on a working holiday visa in the late 80's, when they brought TFNs in. It's a really low number.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I've got the one they gave me when I was here on a working holiday visa in the late 80's, when they brought TFNs in. It's a really low number.
TFNs have actually been around since the 1930s. The TFN system was enhanced in the late 80s to become a pseudo ID number when the Australia Card plan was dumped - but they existed before then.

I've had the same TFN since 1979 and my OH has had his since 1968.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
TFNs have actually been around since the 1930s. The TFN system was enhanced in the late 80s to become a pseudo ID number when the Australia Card plan was dumped - but they existed before then.

I've had the same TFN since 1979 and my OH has had his since 1968.
Ah, OK. When I was here in the late 80's all of a sudden all us backpackers had to get a tax file number, maybe they changed the law that employers had to get your TFN as opposed to giving you tax stamps, like they did when I first arrived.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

I also was here in the late 80's on a WHV, i came back 3 years ago, went to the tax office and got set up with an ABN as i would be working self employed and thought nothing more of it, did my first year tax returns, 2nd year tax returns, then suddenly recieved a bill from the ATO for unpaid tax for the 3 years previous to my return to Australia, strange i thought, how can i owe tax when i wasn't even in the country. Called them up and worked out what had happened was my original TFN was still active and was the one i was now using, the computers picked up i had not paid any tax since 1990 and started to back tax me not sure how long they would have kept going back if i had of paid but was glad to hear the women say not to worry and she would delete the bills and everything was sorted.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A TFN should be for life, however if records are completely lost (both yours and ATO's) then you might end up with a new one.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I ended up with a brand new tax file number. I was first here in 1999 , under my maiden name. It seems they couldn't find it, even though I gave them my previous name and I got a new one.