Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tescos coming down under?

Tescos coming down under?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all
Default Re: Tescos coming down under?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And Creatures's funny butcher, candlestick maker comment.

You know me - I am a not a supermarket tragic.

Frankly, if Tesco or Sainsbury arrived on these shores I would use them in a fit of curiosity. I would only continue to use them - in this order - if they were alot cheaper, (min 30pc) , closer, or carried a few things I found that piqued my interest. Distance has proved to be a big factor for us, not price or choice. Distance because I don't like driving along suburban roads and through lights when there is only 1 set between home, an 80k road and our current, brand new, (recently opened) Woolworths.

Until that time, I really couldn't give a monkies. I'm also, too busy - and fortunately, in economic terms, highly elastic when it comes to grocery shopping. But some groceries are expensive when compared to other markets, like the US, for example.
But that Woolies is cheaper than the one in Berwick due to an ALDI being parked next door. We need more competition!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:47 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's not market resistance, that's just a competitor's advertising campaign!

Market resistance = resistance from consumers, not snide remarks from competitors. Specsavers has been enormously successful in Australia.

And rightly so - the optical market here was crazy when I arrived in 2006 - The local optician in Balmain wants $30 for each extra coating on the lenses - UV, Scratch resistance and anti-reflection, which many budget retailers offer as standard.

Stupidly I went back to him this week for an eye test - which was offered as bulk billed, and I was entitled to having not had one for 2 years. When handing over my Medicare card at the end he informs me that he will ONLY bulk bill if I buy glasses from him - He wouldn't give me my prescription so that I could shop around for glasses unless I paid the private consultation fee.

I wouldn't have objected had he told me up-front - I was a little peeved that he waited until I had no choice in the matter...

S

S
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Tescos coming down under?

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
I am just a lay consumer and am probably ignorant of the larger economic issues involved but it does seem a shame and to the detriment of its retail culture that this country is not open to foreign brands.
It is open to foreign brands.

It's their choice if they want to come here or not. Nothing's stopping them.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It is open to foreign brands.

It's their choice if they want to come here or not. Nothing's stopping them.
Oh, come on. We could have bananas that taste far better than the QLD ones and cost less, and apples from NZ that are streets ahead of Oz ones, but for the protectionism masquerading as quarantine regulations. Not the same as supermarket competition I grant, but the attitude is similar.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Oh, come on. We could have bananas that taste far better than the QLD ones and cost less, and apples from NZ that are streets ahead of Oz ones, but for the protectionism masquerading as quarantine regulations. Not the same as supermarket competition I grant, but the attitude is similar.
That's what I meant. I have noticed a definite resistance to non-Australian products - not from the consumers but from the media and possibly the government too ?

This isn't an attitude I've encountered in other expat destinations.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:19 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I meant. I have noticed a definite resistance to non-Australian products - not from the consumers but from the media and possibly the government too ?

I remember when Ibuprofen finally became available in Australia. You had Herron Blue, who didn't have anything good to say about their product - the whole marketing strategy was simply don't buy Nurofen - it's all foreign and nasty.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:35 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yet thousands of foreign owned products are available to buy, how does that fit in with your statement?

There is a 'buy Australian' campaign - I ignore it but have no problem with it.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I remember when Ibuprofen finally became available in Australia. You had Herron Blue, who didn't have anything good to say about their product - the whole marketing strategy was simply don't buy Nurofen - it's all foreign and nasty.
But that's just a marketing strategy. It's no different from any other company rubbishing a competitors product, Herron just decided to use the 'it's foreign, don't touch it' route instead of Advil saying that their tablets get to the heart of the pain faster than Nurofen (both of whom are foreign owned).

Obviously the government want to keep stuff Australia owned and produced, but there are stacks of international companies here selling their products successfully and just as many international companies who don't want to expand into Aus at great expense for a relatively small market. Swings and roundabouts.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But that's just a marketing strategy.
Of course it is...but it's clearly one they think would have some sway with the general public. They could've concocted some nonsense about nano-particles or micro-chromosomes and retinol pro B - accompanied by some sciency graphics.

I think they would've been better off with the latter tbh. A lot of people talk the talk when it comes to buying Aussie made, I know plenty...but the same folk go out of their way to go to Crazys or the Reject Shop to buy a tube of Colgate imported from the Phillipines with an English language sticker on it to save a buck!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:39 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course it is...but it's clearly one they think would have some sway with the general public. They could've concocted some nonsense about nano-particles or micro-chromosomes and retinol pro B - accompanied by some sciency graphics.

I think they would've been better off with the latter tbh. A lot of people talk the talk when it comes to buying Aussie made, I know plenty...but the same folk go out of their way to go to Crazys or the Reject Shop to buy a tube of Colgate imported from the Phillipines with an English language sticker on it to save a buck!
That's you isn't it??
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by kporte
That's you isn't it??
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

You can take the Scot out of Scotland.......
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yet thousands of foreign owned products are available to buy, how does that fit in with your statement?
I think there are relatively few foreign-owned products on sale here compared to other countries I've lived in.

It's not a huge deal and I can easily live with it (there's always online shopping from Europe or the US!)

Just a surprising (and slightly disappointing) observation from a newbie.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are relatively few foreign-owned products on sale here compared to other countries I've lived in.

It's not a huge deal and I can easily live with it (there's always online shopping from Europe or the US!)

Just a surprising (and slightly disappointing) observation from a newbie.
I disagee, I reckon there are loads of foreign owned products/services for sale - from Apple to Zurich.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:35 am
ABCDiamond

Almost everything is foreign made from what I see, expect for Meat and fresh fruit and veg.

A couple of examples from Woolworths:
tinned whole potatoes - made in Belgium
tinned Mandarin segments - made in China
Vegeta chicken stock - made in Croatia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.