Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tescos coming down under?

Tescos coming down under?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all
Default Tescos coming down under?

Carrying on from the Tesco vs Coles thread, can anybody confirm the rumours that Tesco is going to come down under as I have been hearing a few, although since I am in Queensland it would probably take another millennium for a branch to open up here. Even then it would only be able to open for business between the hours of 7 and 8 on a Wednesday morning, so as to comply with the wonderfully up to date trading by laws they have here. Also it would not have a booze section as shoppers here it seems cannot be trusted to shop for alcohol and food at the same time just in case they might try and combine the two in some weird and mutated way (Vodka Baked Beans any one?). Perhaps even the entire stock of the supposed future stores would be made up of only Coles and Woolworths brands, so as not to provide unfair competition to the afore mentioned companies (This is probably one of the requirements that has to be met for Tescos to open up down here). If or when Tescos do open up down under you can see the headlines now, (especially in the Courier Mail) "POMMIE BASTARD SUPERMARKET TO OPEN HERE, WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!"

To conclude then, I have probably answered my own question but never the less since living here (specifically in Queensland) I do rather miss 24 hour shopping, the convenience of being able to get everything under one roof, decent ready meals and a little bit more variety..... Oh dear probably gone a bit too far with this one! I am married to an Australian however and I do love this country honest!!! The quality of meat is a 1000 times better down under that’s for sure. If Tesco do come then it might perhaps open the flood gates, just Imagine M & S coming down under, the head lines then might read "POMPUS POMMIE BASTARD DEPARTMENT STORE TO OPEN HERE..".
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default Re: Tescos coming down under?

ROFL:rof l:
You sure you're not in WA, it's just the same here, even Aldi haven't made it this far yet.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:00 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
Carrying on from the Tesco vs Coles thread, can anybody confirm the rumours that Tesco is going to come down under as I have been hearing a few, although since I am in Queensland it would probably take another millennium for a branch to open up here. Even then it would only be able to open for business between the hours of 7 and 8 on a Wednesday morning, so as to comply with the wonderfully up to date trading by laws they have here. Also it would not have a booze section as shoppers here it seems cannot be trusted to shop for alcohol and food at the same time just in case they might try and combine the two in some weird and mutated way (Vodka Baked Beans any one?). Perhaps even the entire stock of the supposed future stores would be made up of only Coles and Woolworths brands, so as not to provide unfair competition to the afore mentioned companies (This is probably one of the requirements that has to be met for Tescos to open up down here). If or when Tescos do open up down under you can see the headlines now, (especially in the Courier Mail) "POMMIE BASTARD SUPERMARKET TO OPEN HERE, WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!"

To conclude then, I have probably answered my own question but never the less since living here (specifically in Queensland) I do rather miss 24 hour shopping, the convenience of being able to get everything under one roof, decent ready meals and a little bit more variety..... Oh dear probably gone a bit too far with this one! I am married to an Australian however and I do love this country honest!!! The quality of meat is a 1000 times better down under that’s for sure. If Tesco do come then it might perhaps open the flood gates, just Imagine M & S coming down under, the head lines then might read "POMPUS POMMIE BASTARD DEPARTMENT STORE TO OPEN HERE..".
this kind of thread rears its head every so often only to be squished like a bug on a fast travellening windscreen

Last edited by steve`o; Feb 25th 2010 at 12:08 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackier
You sure you're not in WA, it's just the same here, even Aldi haven't made it this far yet.
Jeez we're not as bad as Perth

Coles Opening Hours
Mon - Fri: 08:00 - 21:00
Sat: 08:00 - 17:00
Sun: 09:00 - 18:00

Not 24 hours but usually enough for most
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Jackier;8374032]ROFL:rof l:
You sure you're not in WA, it's just the same here, even Aldi haven't made it this far yet.[/QUOT

Oh yes there are Aldi's in QLD however they are not allowed to sell any Cream Crackers (choking hazard apparently). No talking and no shopping either....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Originally Posted by fish.01
Jeez we're not as bad as Perth

Coles Opening Hours
Mon - Fri: 08:00 - 21:00
Sat: 08:00 - 17:00
Sun: 09:00 - 18:00

Not 24 hours but usually enough for most
Stop making me jealous, it's the one thing that really bugs me about Perth, especially since it's the Nationals (countryfolks) party who stopped the legislation to extend opening hours last year and yet country shops can open way longer hours, AND THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT, go figure!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

A bit paranoid ....we don't hate you more than Germans....Aldi spreading though Brisbane just got the "thankgod for more competition" treatment from most...M&S POMPOUS...in its dreams...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Stop making me jealous, it's the one thing that really bugs me about Perth, especially since it's the Nationals (countryfolks) party who stopped the legislation to extend opening hours last year and yet country shops can open way longer hours, AND THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT, go figure!!!!
why the hell can country shops open longer? bl#$dy nationals!!!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=exsquaddie;8374082]
You sure you're not in WA, it's just the same here, even Aldi haven't made it this far yet.[/QUOT

Oh yes there are Aldi's in QLD however they are not allowed to sell any Cream Crackers (choking hazard apparently). No talking and no shopping either....
No Cream Crackers, no talking and no shopping...wot kind of shop is that where you're not allowed to shop .....bl@*dy nationals!!!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:37 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

More likely a monkey will fly out of your butt sing halla looo ya , than that happening ........mm
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
More likely a monkey will fly out of your butt sing halla looo ya , than that happening ........mm
the only person worthy of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3-_DbEYe7A
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand this as Warnbro Coles is 7 days a week ( same with Woolies ) 8 - 6 thursday till 9 sunday 10 - 5
IGA Port Kennedy 8am - 8 pm 7 days a week
Is NOR that much different ?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mulben
I don't quite understand this as Warnbro Coles is 7 days a week ( same with Woolies ) 8 - 6 thursday till 9 sunday 10 - 5
IGA Port Kennedy 8am - 8 pm 7 days a week
Is NOR that much different ?
Just the same except only IGA open sundays. When I first arrived I thought, yeah that's ok, but 21/2 years later trying to get to the shops around a 12 hour working day (if you count the commute into the city) it's not easy to work around. BTW, we're currently looking to move closer into town, but by the time we've managed it, Joondalup will be classed as a "tourist precint" and the shops will be open 7 days a week till 9am (new legislation just going through Parliament) Bloody typical
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the headline prediction. Check this out.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...971360163.html

"Now Tesco is gearing up for a Coles bid". Not a single pommy in sight.

Anyway. I would be surprised if they were thinking about now after turning it down in 2007. Maybe the current state of the GFC changed their minds. I would have thought their best bet would be to buy an existing company like Metcash.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I would be delighted for Tesco or even an asda to come to Australia,just for my selfish reasons

Bluekipper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.