Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
I hate those interviews - I always think, I probably dont want to work in a company like that anyway. I don't think a checklist of 10 questions is a good idea, but just some thought at the end to show you are interested but also that you are not just going to take any job, that you are a bit selective.

Of course when its your first job over here, you probably are going to take anything, but they dont need to know that.
:-)
You can appear a discerning interviewee by how you conduct yourself in the interview.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
:-)
You can appear a discerning interviewee by how you conduct yourself in the interview.

It would have to be a very short interview for the interviewer to mistake me for discerning!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

I would agree with not talking money. I got an interview and they offered my sponsership on the 457. We have still yet to talk money but they are already planning my arrival so hopefully we both come to an agreement becuase if the cash ain't decent I will be staying put with the rain and cold
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It would be top of my "things not to bring up at interview" list. And I am not saying you would move halfway round the world without asking at all obviously. You asked what should you do at interview. When I have been interview by Human Resources they have asked me competency style questions and I have asked them about corporate culture, appraisal process, training, opportunity for internal progression. Of course if they asked me about expectations I would tell them, but I would not bring it up unprompted.

When you are at the final stages make sure you know if super is included or additional and what your leave entitlements are, that can be a shocker for somebody coming from the uk.

What is the normal yearly allowance of holiday over there? I am hoping you are going to say 28 days per year or so but me thinks you might be about to burst my bubble
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
What is the normal yearly allowance of holiday over there? I am hoping you are going to say 28 days per year or so but me thinks you might be about to burst my bubble
Based on a random sample of two (Mr BS and I), twenty days annual leave is normal.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Based on a random sample of two (Mr BS and I), twenty days annual leave is normal.
Yikes...20! That is not a lot. Might have to throw in a few sickies here and there
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

I would agree with not talking money....
It seems that all of you agree with this. I 'm not sure about it...

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I have a family to support and let's say our budget requires around 80K per year.

Now if you take IT, you can find senior roles from, don't know, 60K to 120K.

Why would I be bothered and waste my time (since I would need a job fast when I arrive!!) to go to the 60K interview?

OK, networking, or maybe I'd get a call once a week (ekys!), beggars cannot be choosers....but if I'll manage to get a few interviews I would surely won't go to the 60K ones, not that I am after money, but after stability and supporting my family.

Cheers
B1K3R
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by B1K3R

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I have a family to support and let's say our budget requires around 80K per year.

Why would I be bothered and waste my time (since I would need a job fast when I arrive!!) to go to the 60K interview?

OK, networking, or maybe I'd get a call once a week (ekys!), beggars cannot be choosers....but if I'll manage to get a few interviews I would surely won't go to the 60K ones, not that I am after money, but after stability and supporting my family.

Cheers
B1K3R
Yeah you make a good point. If it was a recruitment agent then I would defo talk cash. If it was the employer I would leave it till the latter stages. Most of the time it will be brought up by them. I agree it is tricky though.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Questions I would not ask include "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?" and "Would you like fries with that?"
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes...20! That is not a lot. Might have to throw in a few sickies here and there
Might as well, most Australians do.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice folks, I think I'm coming round to the view of not bringing up salary. I'll reel them in first, let them reject the others then stick 20k on to what I want.

I'll stick to bog standard questions about training and career progression.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R

Cheers
B1K3R
But you would have established the band for the job beforehand, many job adverts would give an indicative range in advance and if the interview is through an agent they would certainly have found out the range.

The advice on here, is not to try and hammer out the details of the package during second interview. I have done a lot of recruiting in my time and I can assure you if somebody asked me about pension, healthcare, annual leave, relocation assistance, lunch hours etc during their second interview that they would have talked themselves out of that role on account of being deeply unprofessional.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

But you would have established the band for the job beforehand, many job adverts would give an indicative range in advance and if the interview is through an agent they would certainly have found out the range.

The advice on here, is not to try and hammer out the details of the package during second interview. I have done a lot of recruiting in my time and I can assure you if somebody asked me about pension, healthcare, annual leave, relocation assistance, lunch hours etc during their second interview that they would have talked themselves out of that role on account of being deeply unprofessional.
Yes, I agree with that
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I never asked about salary when I interviewed for my position with QLD Health. You'll find out salary when you're offered the position...thats how I see it. You then have the opportunity to turn it down or negotiate it from there. But you should know what the position should pay so that you have something to bargain with (along with your experience).

Questions I asked - when they expected to make a decision. Hours. I think I may have even asked how many people were in the team.

I didn't ask about superannuation or leave time or anything along those lines.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the third question they asked me was about salary expectations, so I didn't even get a chance to ask my 3 about competence, training, staff turnover etc

I'll have the offer by the end of the week apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.