Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

Got a 2nd interview tomorrow morning with prospective employer in Brisbane and have a list of questions as long as my arm, would anyone who's made the move care to venture 10 quick questions they feel I must ask?

Obvious are package related - salary, private healthcare, pension, relocation expenses etc

Next obviously are Visa related, working or permanent etc

Would appreciate any guidance on others
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ten Questions to ask prospective employer

I wouldn't dream of asking about salary, pension helathcare in a second interview. In a second interview I want to continue to market myself and find out about the roile. I would ask about that kind of stuff once I know they are going to offer me a job but not before.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I wouldn't dream of asking about salary, pension helathcare in a second interview. In a second interview I want to continue to market myself and find out about the roile. I would ask about that kind of stuff once I know they are going to offer me a job but not before.
really? I'm not thinking about moving around the world for a laugh, if the salary isn't right I'm not going.

email says "The second interview will be a bit more formal, and will give Rob the opportunity to ask some more questions." Someone from HR will be on call this time, I can only assume they've not asked someone from HR along to investigate my engineering knowledge some more. But your comment is appreciated, I'll rethink my interview strategy.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It would be top of my "things not to bring up at interview" list. And I am not saying you would move halfway round the world without asking at all obviously. You asked what should you do at interview. When I have been interview by Human Resources they have asked me competency style questions and I have asked them about corporate culture, appraisal process, training, opportunity for internal progression. Of course if they asked me about expectations I would tell them, but I would not bring it up unprompted.

When you are at the final stages make sure you know if super is included or additional and what your leave entitlements are, that can be a shocker for somebody coming from the uk.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 11th 2010 at 9:26 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Got a 2nd interview tomorrow morning with prospective employer in Brisbane and have a list of questions as long as my arm, would anyone who's made the move care to venture 10 quick questions they feel I must ask?

Obvious are package related - salary, private healthcare, pension, relocation expenses etc

Next obviously are Visa related, working or permanent etc

Would appreciate any guidance on others
I wouldn't ask about salary either and I'd only ask 3 questions max.

I normally ask about staff turnover - how long people stay etc.

What the existing team is like.

What is an average day like in the office?

I sometimes ask about their charity work, as in most of my jobs I usually help out with fundraising and organising of events.

When they offer you the job then is the time to discuss salary and benefits etc, then you can decide whether to accept the position or not.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I wouldnt ask salary stuff, you can negotiate that once they are hooked.

Be interested, ask why the interviewer likes working there, or if they are fairly new, what attracted them to the company. Ask what a typical day would be like for you. Ask if its a new opening or if you would be replacing somebody, see if you can find out why the old person left. In my role, I always ask how much travel is expected. I also ask about career path and where they see the role going. I also always always ask what makes them think I would be unsuitable for the role - that gives me a chance to close by countering any doubts they have, if that makes sense.

Remember when you interview you need to be happy with the job and company too. If you are moving half way across the world, you want it to be right job. Once they like you and they want you, then negotiate on the offer.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The trickiest thing will be to convince them you are not another fly-by-night Pom who is just after as much cash as he can get.

The Brisbane market will inevitably not compete on salary with Sydney (say) so if you are seen to be chasing cash they will probably summise you'll be moving south at the drop of a hat and therefore not a long term proposition.

Getting Aussie experience is the most important thing, hence the reason a lot of people take short term contracts to begin with.

Just my perspective given I have some friends who are in HR.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Ask them how long your lunch hour is.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:28 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Ask them how long your lunch hour is.
A close second is "Your systems are so out of date compared to the UK, how do you ever survive?"
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

1. Ask about probation period and notice period after resign
2. Ask how does the company factor employee feedback in defining its coroprate policy and employee policies
3. Does the company have 360 feedback sessions between the teams (these are important for the growth of your soft skills)
4. Ask what trainings and sessions will company arrange to foster your soft skills and technical skills
5. Do they have senior person/expert who can help you grow and who can answer your queries when you are stuck.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's all gamesmenship at the end of the day.

HR is normally a fit thing where they will very proudly tell you how inclusive they are..(I'm only partly kidding) and also gives them a chance to field someone else who can make a call about your suitability. There may be openings where you can slip in a quick question if you think it is the right time.

I never play 20 questions with them. Comes across as tedious. Perhaps a good one to make yourself look awake. Most half-decent companies play ball with all the training and stuff. If they don't use them as your 'local' experience and move on.

Of course, it's a good idea to know exactly what the package is but often the agent can confirm that.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
1. Ask about probation period and notice period after resign
I wouldn't ask this. It would be in the contract. Most are about the same and protect you as much as them - which will be probably be fine considering you are both undertaking a new venture where there is some sort of risk on both sides. EDIT It might be different on a 457 of course - there is much more risk on your behalf.

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
2. Ask how does the company factor employee feedback in defining its coroprate policy and employee policies
3. Does the company have 360 feedback sessions between the teams (these are important for the growth of your soft skills)
4. Ask what trainings and sessions will company arrange to foster your soft skills and technical skills
5. Do they have senior person/expert who can help you grow and who can answer your queries when you are stuck.
I'd only ask one of these. Combine them all under 'training' (without being too pushy). Asking all of them makes you sound like a worrier or makes you sound less independent.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

You should try and read it a bit, if they asked a lot of what I think of as typical interview questions, then they might be expecting some questions back, but if it was more informal then you have probably asked your questions already. Ask the agent what style they prefer and if they like you to have prepared some questions in advance, if so what sort.

Of course you should know exactly what the package is before accepting, but I still think you should wait until after the interview to ask these questions - or ask the agent, who will probably deal with the negotiations on your behalf anyway.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
You should try and read it a bit, if they asked a lot of what I think of as typical interview questions, then they might be expecting some questions back, but if it was more informal then you have probably asked your questions already. Ask the agent what style they prefer and if they like you to have prepared some questions in advance, if so what sort.

Of course you should know exactly what the package is before accepting, but I still think you should wait until after the interview to ask these questions - or ask the agent, who will probably deal with the negotiations on your behalf anyway.
I agree. There are some companies who like to ask 'interview questions' at the first one in any case. The most tedious ones are STAR like ones which they often have been told to do by HR - and an interviewer may roll his eyes as s(he) reads them to you..watch him or her write down your answers - he or she will jot a few notes and can't possibly record the answer exactly. The important thing is to have an answer and sound switched on. It's how you respond...

(I've had people really struggle looking for the perfect answer. Just a simple answer will suffice!)

What impresses me is people who look prepared. So a small notebook with a couple of lines in it, even a folded sheet of A4 and a pen. If the interviewee looks down at it, that's enough for me. I often look down at my 'questions' when asked if I have any at the end, and say 'That will be all - it's already been covered' (and often it has), or something. This shows I am prepared but am not going to spoil the interview by being tedious. It shows a bit of tact and savvy.

If they have 10 questions and proceed to ask them all then then I might change my mind!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I agree. There are some companies who like to ask 'interview questions' at the first one in any case. The most tedious ones are STAR like ones which they often have been told to do by HR - and an interviewer may roll his eyes as s(he) reads them to you..watch him or her write down your answers - he or she will jot a few notes and can't possibly record the answer exactly. The important thing is to have an answer and sound switched on. It's how you respond...

(I've had people really struggle looking for the perfect answer. Just a simple answer will suffice!)

What impresses me is people who look prepared. So a small notebook with a couple of lines in it, even a folded sheet of A4 and a pen. If the interviewee looks down at it, that's enough for me. I often look down at my 'questions' when asked if I have any at the end, and say 'That will be all - it's already been covered' (and often it has), or something. This shows I am prepared but am not going to spoil the interview by being tedious. It shows a bit of tact and savvy.

If they have 10 questions and proceed to ask them all then then I might change my mind!
I hate those interviews - I always think, I probably dont want to work in a company like that anyway. I don't think a checklist of 10 questions is a good idea, but just some thought at the end to show you are interested but also that you are not just going to take any job, that you are a bit selective.

Of course when its your first job over here, you probably are going to take anything, but they dont need to know that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.