Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ten Pound Poms- Timewatch tonight

Ten Pound Poms- Timewatch tonight

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Ten Pound Poms- Timewatch tonight

Just thought you might like to see this tonight. It's probably the one shown on ABC a while back.
8.20 pm BBC2 Saturday (Tonight)
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ten Pound Poms- Timewatch tonight

1982 they stopped the £10 Poms, what a touch for people that only had to pay that, compared with todays prices .
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

i misseed it

anyone know when or if there is a repeat???

yeah wish it cost us a tenner!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

My mum and dad were 10 pound poms. They went over on a very dodgey boat, and all their wedding presents were ruined cos the ship took on water. Apparently most people were lording it up on the boat, but mum and dad had hardly any money, just enough to live on each day and the 100 pounds they needed to land with.

Some of the stories they have about the boat trip over and great. Apparently it was the luck of the draw for the type of accomodation you got. so some lucky people got the presidential type suits, mum and dad got a room with bunk beds, below the sea level. some unlucky people were split up and mothers and the kids were put in one big room, and dads in another room.

Once they arrived they were given assisted housing for a week (I think) then they were on their own. It was a really big move to do in those days. Phone calls home were too expensive, and definatly no visitors.

It was a very different way of moving country!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:21 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Great programme, what shocked me the most was the old dear who had spent 50 down under and came back to uk to die! left all her family in oz.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:25 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Yes we watched it too made me feel quite emotional really. My uncle is a £10 pom as are my cousins but they have been there for around 50yrs now. My cousin says people still call her a pom even though she only spent a short time of her life in the uk and to me she is an aussie
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I was a 10 pound pom, so was OH ...I flew over with Qantas and he sailed on the good ship 'Britanis'...if fact he still has the menu and says everyone was treated like royalty
We didn't have to have to have a specific amount of money, in fact I only had 30 pounds ...a long long time ago but those times in between have been terrific