Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telling parents your leaving

Telling parents your leaving

Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Telling parents your leaving

I was planning on getting married abroad next year, but have booked a church instead. My parents want me to get married abroad and are trying to brainwash me so they will get their own way. Slagging off my plans etc, guess it's making me feel stronger about emmigrating. Just feel like they're living my life in a way, or am I being forced to live theirs? it sucks either way.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough

Hi all
i start to well up everytime someone mentions my mum, my dad died years ago when i was younger, she has since remarried. shes has been great and really supportive as she feels there is nothing left for me here!. she agrees with me that it is harder to regret something that you havent tried than regret something that you have . To take her mind off things she keeps coming around and saying "oh when you go to australia can i have that and that ( mainly my clothes and bits of furniture) my inlaws really dont talk about it perhaps they think it may not happen but as the house is up for sale and we have a case officer and are expecting outcome shortly, i suppose it is going to happen.

back to my mum, i know she is really upset deep down, ( but as she keeps saying the world is gettting smaller and its only a day away. shes ace my mum

Last edited by jopaul; Feb 13th 2007 at 6:29 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:25 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough

I really can't understand why some people have this problem with their families. It's astonishing to me that parents would offer anything but heartfelt support for such a venture. My parents have given me nothing but encouragement since we told them our plans right at the outset - I never once felt I had to hide our intentions, even though it could be argued that we are taking thier granddaughter away from them.

I genuinely feel for those of you who are faced with guilt trips from families but I believe that your life is your own and the decision is yours. How that decision is influenced by others is up to you - some people consider the opinions of thier families to be paramount, while others go their own way on their own terms. Families who don't support you in a venture that could affect your life positively are only being selfish - they should try to see things from your point of view.

I have no doubt that I will miss my family terribly when I go, even though we're not particularly close; and I'm sure they'll miss me as much, but I see emigrating as an opportunity and it's one I don't intend to pass up.

No-one says saying goodbye is easy, but don't let that stop you.

CMR
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

CMR Quote "I really can't understand why some people have this problem with their families."
Quote "even though we're not particularly close" Maybe thats why!! Some of us have been fortunate to have close families.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:42 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eileen35
hi sue,
just asked you on my thread if you had kids, oops sorry.
my eldest is staying behind too ,hes 17. 18 in march. its college,pals and mainly i think g/f thats keeping him here. my parents are letting him live with them too.and i think my mum will feel in a way better. though i know she,ll never be off his back worrying when he goes out etc.
that being one of the main reasons we are leaving due to worry about kids when they are out here.
im leaving him flight money though incase things dont go to plan here for him,that way he can join us if things work out for us.
i think its going to be scary enough leaving the parents,but really dreading leaving my son.
but i do think we have got to give it a go for the sake of my other two kids and for our benefit too.
sue has your family been over yet?
thanx eileen xx
Hi Eileen,

My son was the same age as yours when we left over a year ago. He is 18 now and stayed for the same reasons as yours. He is doing well at college and it would have cost around $8000 per year for him to do the same course here. He has a girlfriend who he is mad about too and friends he has known since he was an egg !! I miss him like mad but he is doing really well and my mum absolutely loves having him there and also the fact that we keep in touch daily on msn or email so dont feel too far away. The other kids miss him but they do love it here so no regrets. He came out at Easter last year and is doing so again, my sister lives in Tokyo and she is coming again with her hubby and kids. Mum and Dad retire at easter so they want to come later in the year. We have just bought a house and move in two weeks so everything is just slotting into place now.....
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:24 pm
chippy

premkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the rough

my mum and dad were over the moon for us both, they go to aus every two or three years to visit rellos. MIL has a tear in her eye every time i visit. she knows the kids will have a good life, but is to old to visit. she has at the last count 22 grand children and 5 great.

my parents will spend 6months here with my sister and 6 in aus with us, if we get the visa!!!!
wish there was an old verse or saying for the parents who are giving you a hard time, just to say this is the biggest decision you will ever make and one that has not been thought over quickly.

good luck
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Well, look at it this way..... The ten o'clock news headlines tonight stated that British kids have the worst quality of life of all children of industrialised nations.
So, it's official.
What do they want for their children/grandchildren?