Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telling parents your leaving

Telling parents your leaving

Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all
Default Telling parents your leaving

poor wife!! had the wonderful job of telling her parents of our plans to move yesterday. Dads reply "no your not". Mothers reply "not discussing it, don't want to know" so that went down well...... just her brothers and sister to tell now. Mine died a few years back so i've got it easy.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:01 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling parents your leaving

Originally Posted by Malcs66
poor wife!! had the wonderful job of telling her parents of our plans to move yesterday. Dads reply "no your not". Mothers reply "not discussing it, don't want to know" so that went down well...... just her brothers and sister to tell now. Mine died a few years back so i've got it easy.
I'm dreading telling my parents. They'll be quite upset so we've decided to say we are just going for two years.
We have told my sister in law and she's said she won't come and visit because she doesn't like spiders
Oh well - we're going anyway
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

Hopefully after the initial shock they will see the reasons behind it. How close are you leaving it before telling them?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:32 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, it is horrible having to tell family that you are leaving to go to the other side of the world, we told my mum just a wee while ago we were officially going (she knew we were thinking about and had been on holiday) but she took it really badly saying we were making a huge mistake and she wouldnt come and visit - the usual guilt trip stuff, however I think she is accepting it now also our house is now in the market. Now I wish I had told her earlier as she has handled it better than expected (believe me we were expecting major arguments), when we told her we were thinking about it she had a massive sulk, fell out with us, her boyfriend and my brother so this is actually okay. As for hubbies family they have been grand, we never see them anyway and they are happy for us. Hope you wifes siblings are alot more supportive. Good luck when you go anyway.
Clairex
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

StopDreamingStartDoing is an unknown quantity at this point

Told mother in-law quite upset but ok with it, told sister in-law again upset but ok with it, told my dad 'uh huh' ????? don't know what to make of that, told my gran went very quiet but told us she will start saving for plane ticket and it will be best for kids, still have my mum and father in-law to tell..... save the bet 'til last

Richard
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:45 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully after the initial shock they will see the reasons behind it. How close are you leaving it before telling them?
We're going end of october and I'm planning on telling them in June sometime.
It's a bit difficult at the moment as Dad is not well.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

I am really wooried about telling my in-laws (my family all know and, to my face, are fine about it). MIL is very sensitive and takes everything to heart. She also tends to take things very personally . It was always going to be difficult to tell her and FIL (who will also be very upset) as my husband and his parents are very close and we have the only, much longed-for, granddaughter but in December their other son died (there is a daughter too).

How on earth do we tell them that, having lost a son in December the other one is going to move to the other side of the planet, taking their granddaughter (and me!) with them?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
I am really wooried about telling my in-laws (my family all know and, to my face, are fine about it). MIL is very sensitive and takes everything to heart. She also tends to take things very personally . It was always going to be difficult to tell her and FIL (who will also be very upset) as my husband and his parents are very close and we have the only, much longed-for, granddaughter but in December their other son died (there is a daughter too).

How on earth do we tell them that, having lost a son in December the other one is going to move to the other side of the planet, taking their granddaughter (and me!) with them?
Oh, that's a difficult one. Just hope they understand why you're doing it & genuinely want the best for YOU and NOT what's best for THEM.
Good luck
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Malcs66;4389910]poor wife!! had the wonderful job of telling her parents of our plans to move yesterday. Dads reply "no your not". Mothers reply "not discussing it, don't want to know" so that went down well...... just her brothers and sister to tell now. Mine died a few years back so i've got it easy.[/QUOTE

My parents were at first a bit upset but they have come round, the OH folks were totally fine. With technology todayI think it is much easier i.e webcams, e.mail etc etc.......
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:19 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Telling parents your leaving

My inlaws are fine about us going, infact when our son joked he'd changed his mind MIL moaned we still had to go as she was looking forward to the holiday!! Haven't really talked to my folks about it but figured i barely see my mum now so it won't matter if we're half way round the world. My brother in law has said he wishes us all the best and admits he'd love to go but my sister won't leave my mum.
The way i look at it is "you only get one life so grab it by the balls and enjoy, life is not a dress rehersal".
Good luck x
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Well Malcs

she is not alone. I told my parents back in August that my hubby had been offered a job in canada and that we were going to go. To say that she went ballistic is a bit of an understatement

Here I am in Feb with my hubby in Canada waiting to start his job tomorrow and she still cant talk about it and all i get is sarcastic replies to everything I say about our new life - so your wife could be in for a great time with her parents. Hubby flew out last sunday and she still hasnt asked if he got there safely !!!!!

Good luck and dont let anyone spoil your dreams as peeps are doing to mine.

Gayx
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:28 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere

Wow, I wouldn't like to be in your shoes...I told my mum about 5 months before we went. I have a sister who lives in Japan and then having to tell her I was moving away too with the grandchildren, she wasn't impressed. My eldest boy stayed behind with her to carry on his studies and she was over the moon and kept asking me to let him stay, so that has eased things a bit for her...everything has turned out ok now though...anyway best of luck and just remember you are doing it for you and your family, dont feel guilty !!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:33 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you, i remember that conversation well !!!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:46 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at some of the parents' reactions described here, it's probably a good thing that people are getting away from such negative controlling influences in their lives.

My parents have always been of the "it's your life, make of it what you will" attitute - for which, seeing how different it is for other people, I will always be grateful.

Sure, they were sad when I moved to oz (where their first grandchild was born), but they understand and respect my own decisions.

Good luck.

Big.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

mine all chipped in for my ticket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.