Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tell me about Adelaide

Tell me about Adelaide

Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tell me about Adelaide

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If you want a true small town experience, you can always head up to the hills.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived there for a couple of years and I enjoyed it, looking back I have more good memories of my couple of years in adelaide than I do of my 4 years in perth.
I did make the mistake of being close to the main front at glenelg which meant there was always noise at night, groups of drunk people staggering past shouting till 4am at the weekends. In hindsight I would have gone further away from all the bars/clubs but at the time wanted to be near the beach.

Adelaide has a more english, old world feel than perth does. For me perth felt more like what I imagined australia to be. Adelaide was a bit to similier to what we had left behind in the uk and that was why we left in the end. But it is has a lot more going on, more people, more events, longer opening hours than perth but it does feel older and dirtyer.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I lived there for a couple of years and I enjoyed it, looking back I have more good memories of my couple of years in adelaide than I do of my 4 years in perth.
I did make the mistake of being close to the main front at glenelg which meant there was always noise at night, groups of drunk people staggering past shouting till 4am at the weekends. In hindsight I would have gone further away from all the bars/clubs but at the time wanted to be near the beach.

Adelaide has a more english, old world feel than perth does. For me perth felt more like what I imagined australia to be. Adelaide was a bit to similier to what we had left behind in the uk and that was why we left in the end. But it is has a lot more going on, more people, more events, longer opening hours than perth but it does feel older and dirtyer.
Just come from Glenelg. It's buzzing tonight

Not somewhere I'd live either though! way too noisy on a night time. I think Glenelg is actually busier than the city most weekends!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

I like Adelaide too.

We should have "like" buttons on here like Facebook has, as there are some great posts on here from people who have took the time to share their knowledge.

Big thanks peoples!!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Heljay2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all very much. We will just wait for a response from the agencies and see where we go from there.

Lets hope this is the start of our new beginning
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:33 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I should have been more specific in my distinction between northern and southern suburbs. The northern area north of Gepps Cross (Paralowie, Salisbury, Smithfield, etc) is more Elizabeth than Adelaide, and on a socio-economic scale is probably about the same as the area to the south of the hills - Hackham, Lonsdale, Christie Downs, etc. The inner southern suburbs (Unley, Mitcham, Mitchell Park, Colonel Light Gardens) are (subjectively) quieter than their northern counterparts (Croydon Park, Woodville, Hampstead Gardens) because the industry tended to go north rather than south - presumably because of closer proximity to Port Adelaide. South Road, Port Road and Main North Road are heavily industrialised and not places I would live close to.

There are also the western suburbs fronting the Gulf - Henley Beach, Grange, Tennyson, Semaphore - which have a good community feel about them. Port Adelaide was a very rundown working class area 30 years ago but has smartened up with the establishment of the Maritime Museum and a new shopping centre and is now quite trendy.

Adelaide is an easy place to find your way around as every road and street runs either north-south or east-west, so as long as you know which direction you're heading it's very difficult to get totally lost! The main exceptions are Diagonal Road (go figure!), Glen Osmond Road, Anzac Highway, Port Road and Main North-East Road. And the suburb of Colonel Light Gardens is unique in having its streets laid out in a diamond pattern rather than squares.

I love Adelaide, and my children and grandchildren still live there so we get down as often as we can. My favourite suburb is Blackwood which still has a village atmosphere, although the rapid expansion around it is making it a traffic nightmare.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Feb 20th 2012 at 8:43 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

I live in Blackwood and just love the feel of the place. Your right though, something needs to be done about the traffic before we become gridlocked in Blackwood.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Really agree with all the replies on this thread......... Only one other thing to add... the whole place seems to be brown and dusty 9 months of the year!!! I never realised it until a visitor pointed it out to me!!!!
Still loved the place.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tell me about Adelaide

A few photos...

19th Century houses in Adelaide:

Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Hahndorf:

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 21st 2012 at 9:36 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:34 am
Fighting my corner

Yatala Vale:

Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:43 am
Fighting my corner

Our house in summer:

Autumn (taken before we installed the veggie garden):