Reload this Page >

Tell me about Adelaide

Tell me about Adelaide

Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Heljay2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tell me about Adelaide

Hi,

We have decided to give this emigration thing a go and have sent OH cv off to a few recommended agencies. The only we we could do this is employer sponsored but we are in no rush so just seeing what comes of it.

We have chosen Adelaide as OH has a friend there and after some research it looks like this is a smallish place which we are used to and less expensive than some other places.

Would like to hear from people who live there, especially with families as we have a 3 year old and a 12 year old.

His friend lives in Fulham Gardens so I have been looking around that area at properties, schools etc. Does anyone live in this or surrounding areas? what is it like?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tell me about Adelaide

I don't live in Adelaide or have children but I have been there for a week or so at a time a number of times. I liked it. I think all the major cities Melbourne/Brisbane/Sydney/Perth/Adelaide are all very similar in many ways but each of them has a very distinct vibe to it. I like the vibe in Adelaide, it's hard to explain but it was somehow less up-it's-own-arse that the other cities.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It isnt that small. It is the same size as greater Manchester. It can be very rough too. My husband who used to drink every weekend in Manchester, and does most here says he sees far more violence here. He even managed to get headbutted once here! I work out north, and find the people mostly are rough and not very well educated. I live south and it is better south for sure.
I always thought oz would be great for bringing up children, but since being here I think the uk would have been better.
Weather is great (as long as you don't live in the hills) and many areas are very pretty.
Have you visited before? Good luck finding a sponsor, it often is very hard (unless you are a dr or nurse).
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:43 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Adelaide for 15 years on and off and have two daughters who live there with their young families.

Adelaide is a unique city in that the CBD is surrounded by parklands so there is a distinct division between the CBD and the suburbs. The suburbs immediately around the CBD are the oldest and most expensive - Goodwood, Unley, Burnside, Medindie, Prospect, Norwood, to name but a few. Then as you go out further the suburbs become newer and less expensive.

Adelaide is located on a plain with hills (Mt Lofty Ranges) to the east and south and the Gulf of St Vincent to the west, so the majority of the urban sprawl has taken place in the north, and southwards on the other side of the hills (Reynella, Hackam, Noarlunga, etc). Generally the newer northern and outer southern suburbs tend to be of a lower socio-political standing.

The centre of the northern area is Elizabeth which was founded after WW2 to take the mass of the "ten pound Poms" emigrating from England. It, and the surrounding areas of Salisbury, Smithfield and Munno Para have traditionally housed blue collar workers and there is a higher percentage of families living on welfare than the southern suburbs. Elizabeth's economy is closely allied with the Holden car factory (part of General Motors) which may close any time the parent company decides it isn't economic - it is only still operating because of large grants and incentives from the Federal and State governments.

Because of the geographical boundaries formed by the hills it is very easy to get out of the city and suburbs and into the surrounding country which is beautiful, with plenty to explore, good pubs, and of course the wineries of the McLaren Vale, Adelaide Hills and (a bit further out) the Barossa and Clare Valley. The small hill towns such as Stirling, Aldgate and Bridgewater make great weekend outings, and a bit further away are Strathalbyn, Meadows, and then down to the south coast at Goolwa (the mouth of the Murray River) and Victor Harbour.

I hope you get here and enjoy what Adelaide has to offer - there's a lot more I could say but my two index fingers are getting tired!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tell me about Adelaide

KJCherokee has given an excellent summary.

I was born and raised in Western Australia, but Adelaide was a frequent holiday destination and eventually became my home away from home. Now it's my true home.

I believe Adelaide is greatly underestimated. It offers virtually everything you'd need from a major population centre without the same proportion of problems associated with large cities.

Yes, the pace of life is slower than Melbourne or Sydney and that's how I like it. The CBD is compact and subtly genteel, while real estate in the outer metro area offers value for money at reasonable prices.

You can reach open countryside in less than an hour from most suburbs (only 15 minutes from our house). The beaches on the west coast are beautiful and clean. Adelaide also has an excellent food and wine culture.

Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
It isnt that small. It is the same size as greater Manchester..
Less than half the population though.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to echo what Vash and KJCherokee have said

I think Adelaide is just lovely. It does have a small feel to it, but mostly because everything is pretty easy to get to. I used to drive from mid north to far south every day (60kms), and it only took me just over a hour.

I live in the Northern suburbs, and my suburb is pretty lovely. I don't find much difference between the people in the north or south to be honest. There's rough patches up north and down south, but there's also nice suburbs in both too.

I hope that if you manage to get here, you are as happy here as I have been
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Heljay2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank you all for your posts. I am really hoping that we do get there and can make it work for our family. I have heard bad and good stories about emigrating but we figure we have nothing here so we have nothing to lose (apart from family)

We live in a small northern town in the UK so didnt really want anywhere too big. We are used to small communities where everybody knows everyone else and can just walk into a pub and find someone you know to have a drink with. We are both pretty sociable so will hopefully manage to make friends quite easily.

I have been looking at Henley Beach properties as we would like to live close to the coast if possible although if property prices are too expensive there we may have to rethink. We have also looked at Fulham Gardens primary for my son and Henley high for my daughter. they both seem to have had quite good reviews so I am feeling pretty positive about it all so far.

Hopefully one day we will be joining some of you in a beer somewhere!!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have to echo what Vash and KJCherokee have said

I think Adelaide is just lovely. It does have a small feel to it, but mostly because everything is pretty easy to get to. I used to drive from mid north to far south every day (60kms), and it only took me just over a hour.
I drive from Edwards town to burton every day and it takes me 45 minutes in and an hour (sometimes more) home. No idea why the difference. Anyway, to me it feels huge. I drove for just as long to and from work in the uk. Only the drivers were better there. Lol.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago there was a campaign called 'Adelaide, it's OK'

I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Roy and HG or The Late Show, somebody like that?

Ben Folds liked it!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I drive from Edwards town to burton every day and it takes me 45 minutes in and an hour (sometimes more) home. No idea why the difference. Anyway, to me it feels huge. I drove for just as long to and from work in the uk. Only the drivers were better there. Lol.
I only managed to keep it up for 5 months. The drive was fine I didn't mind that, it was the 10 hour work day on top that killed me

now I travel 19kms and it takes me 40 mins! (I have to drive in the traffic whereas when I was at Seaford I could drive against the traffic)
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I could move out north of course, but I just can't make myself lol.
The worst part of the drive home is when you hit the emerson over pass. It isn't too bad until then. I am even used to the 40kph section of south road lol.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I could move out north of course, but I just can't make myself lol.
The worst part of the drive home is when you hit the emerson over pass. It isn't too bad until then. I am even used to the 40kph section of south road lol.
I hate South Road and avoid it at all costs
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heljay2007
We live in a small northern town in the UK so didnt really want anywhere too big. We are used to small communities where everybody knows everyone else and can just walk into a pub and find someone you know to have a drink with. We are both pretty sociable so will hopefully manage to make friends quite easily.
Adelaide is not exactly small....population of a million or so
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Tell me about Adelaide

Originally Posted by Grayling
Adelaide is not exactly small....population of a million or so
Yep, it's >1.2 million. But the population is well spaced, so it doesn't feel like much. If you want a true small town experience, you can always head up to the hills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.