Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Televisions down under

Televisions down under

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Televisions down under

You're too used to UK scheduling.
Not had UK TV for 10 years - so its just a fond memory! lol

You're suggesting that Torrent quality if superior to SD broadcasts on DTV here in Australia ?
yes - look hard enough and there are 720p H264 torrents of lots of shows - often with 5.1 soundtracks that the Australian FTA networks dont broadcast (even on their HD channel).

You are right though - in terms of the "quiet understated" war that is Australian HD channels - Ch10 are WIPING THE FLOOR with their oposition!

...EPG publishing agreement will be in full effect and delta's will be provided.
Dont know how long you've been experiencing the torture that is AusTV scheules - but published times are meaningless - why should they be better simply because they're provided electronically in real-time? I'm absolutely convinced that shows will still start between5 and 20 minutes later than their scheduled time (in a pathetic game of 'try and stop people from watching a show on the other channel by delaying out show so viewers miss the beggining of a competitors')
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:23 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
yes - look hard enough and there are 720p H264 torrents of lots of shows - often with 5.1 soundtracks that the Australian FTA networks dont broadcast (even on their HD channel).
Ah I see what your getting at. Sure, I guess if you're prepared to download the 1.1GB H264 version when the 350MB on is quite watchable. My download bandwidth is precious to me though and I just want to watch the show.

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Dont know how long you've been experiencing the torture that is AusTV scheules - but published times are meaningless - why should they be better simply because they're provided electronically in real-time? I'm absolutely convinced that shows will still start between5 and 20 minutes later than their scheduled time (in a pathetic game of 'try and stop people from watching a show on the other channel by delaying out show so viewers miss the beggining of a competitors')
I've been here just over a year now and I also agree that the scheduled events often pointlessly over run, however this does seem to be mainly to do with the plethora of home-grown reality shows which are hyped to atomic levels and then plastered over every inch of promo space in the schedule. Next time a show over runs check the Event Title and see if it contains any of the following words "Biggest", "Big", "So you think" and "Australia"

The 14 Day EPG will at least allow you to determine what's coming and when it changes. What would be really good is if the Tivo unit operates like the Sky+ PVR and schedules recordings against the DVB EventID instead of the "propsed" event time. Then the event is only recorded if it matches that EventID, even if it moves 5, 10 or 80 minutes.

But we can only dream...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

We brought 2 small TVs which dont work - cant pick up any channels.

We also bought a Sony 32" which also wont pick up the channels but will work through Foxtel.

I thought if we could get Foxtel we would be able to watch 7, 9 and 10 like in the UK you can watch BBC etc through Sky but they arent on Foxtel.

Can I get a set top box to get the other channels and use it with Foxtel??
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

My summary.....

Agree with everything has said 100%. he's bang on.

My experience....

Some TV's work some dont. My Pioneer plasma works on analgue (out of the box) but the digital tuner doesnt.
My Toshiba LCD eventually worked on analogue (had to find some hidden/undocumented menus to change the PAL thingy so I got sound) The digitial tuner doesnt.
If yours doesnt work, most newer TVs can be hooked up one way or another - the yellow vidoe cable is not great though for larger flat screens.

If you are looking for new TVs buy here. There is no benefit in buying in UK. Last year I bought an 8 series Pio 50" (just after launch) for $5k. Now advertised at $3k.

Foxtel (whether satellite or cable) you can opt for the Sport package which transmits pretty much ALL EPL games live - about 5 of them at 3pm GMT which you select your one of choice via the omnipotent red button.

Very interested by an earlier "Panasonic LCD" quote. Never knew thay made them!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
We brought 2 small TVs which dont work - cant pick up any channels.

We also bought a Sony 32" which also wont pick up the channels but will work through Foxtel.

I thought if we could get Foxtel we would be able to watch 7, 9 and 10 like in the UK you can watch BBC etc through Sky but they arent on Foxtel.

Can I get a set top box to get the other channels and use it with Foxtel??
Pain in the proverbial isnt it? Yes get STB and that will work. Next year 7 will be on Foxtel. Quite suprised the Sony doesnt pick up analogue Aus channels - have you checked all tuners settings?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:12 pm
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou666
Hi there,
Going to Perth in October! Can we take our tv's with us? Will they work?
Hi,

You can take your tv with you. Buy an Aussie video and have the tv channels going through the video, you can then use your UK tv as a monitor.

Also there was a thread a while ago, suggesting that you could retune your videos/tvs to a universal setting. Try doing a search and see if that helps.

Apologies if all this has already been said but I didn't read all of the replies.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

ThePerrys will become famous soon enough

Hi ,
if Your television is an older one, you will only receive a picture but no sound. The picture in Oz is broadcast on the same frequency as the UK ,but the sound is not. But if you use a austel or foxtel box you will able to get sound from them,but not terrestrial tv sound.
hope that helps
Phil
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:27 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

To sum up....

The question of if your UK TV will work in Australia is all dependent on what you want to watch.

Old Analogue TV Services

Answer: Possibly

If you want to use analogue (not Digital) TV services in Australia some of your TV's may work and some may not, depending on how modern the TV is, who makes it and if it supports various settings inside. The problem is technical and related to how sound is handled in the different PAL standards.

Conclusion: Digital TV is available over Australia the vast majority of populated Australia. Analogue broadcasts cease completely in Australia in 2013, in metro city areas this could be as early as Q1 2009 according the government. Why would you want to use the old analogue services anyway?

New Digital TV Services

Answer: Yes

All TV's you bring from the UK, unless they are ancient, will be able to work with the Digital TV broadcasts here. Just buy a cheap DVB Set Top Box (STB) from Good Guys, Dick Smith or Harvey Norman for around $80 (~£35) and providing your aerial is your good enough your done.

If your newer TV from the UK already has a Digital Tuner built in you will either be able to either:

Change the DVB settings to "Australia" in the Digital Settings menu (mots likely)
Get a firmware upgrade from the Manufacturer (you might have to do this)
Worst case scenario go out and buy a new DVB STB (see above), but that's unlikely

Conclusion: It will work.

Hope this clears it all up
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:41 am
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by bigAPE

New Digital TV Services

Answer: Yes

All TV's you bring from the UK, unless they are ancient, will be able to work with the Digital TV broadcasts here. Just buy a cheap DVB Set Top Box (STB) from Good Guys, Dick Smith or Harvey Norman for around $80 (~£35) and providing your aerial is your good enough your done.

If your newer TV from the UK already has a Digital Tuner built in you will either be able to either:

Change the DVB settings to "Australia" in the Digital Settings menu (mots likely)
Get a firmware upgrade from the Manufacturer (you might have to do this)
Worst case scenario go out and buy a new DVB STB (see above), but that's unlikely

Conclusion: It will work.

Hope this clears it all up
For one example, my 6th Gen Pioneer digital tuner will NOT work here. Pio UK said it would. Pio Aus said it wont work and cannot be upgraded. In my menu options, selecting Aus is not an option.

My Toshiba LCD digital tuner also will not work.

Both TVs are under 3-4 years old, not what I'd call ancient.

Not a drama due to STBs but I wonder how many digital UK tuners will work here
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

what kind of satelite do the aussies use

Do they use sky or Virgin media out there or somthing else?

And can we get channels like sky sports and sky movies out there?

Thanks
Vik
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
7's service is worse than Ten's. At least Ten are buying source HD with the packages from the US, where as 7 are only buying a couple of bouquet packages in HD like Greys and Lost and the rest are SD.

Worse of all is 7's Footy coverage. Pitifully upscaled SD on their 7HD service. Ten's is outstanding 1080 HD and the quality of games is just awesome.

You're too used to UK scheduling. Australian TV follows a more North American scheduling schema. It's nasty but something you just have to get used too. I'm more angry with the blatant sponsorship. Sponsorship regs in the UK are pretty tight, but here it's just insane, like watching US daytime scheduling all the time.

You're suggesting that quality of DivX Torrents are superior to SD broadcasts on DTV here in Australia ?? Don't get me wrong the quality of a Torrent viewed on a PC/Mac or via an HDMI Upscaling DVD/DivX player is excellent but can't compete to even the SD service here. When you move to HD DTV here the quality of even shows like Lost, House and BSG are off the scale. I work in broadcasting and I've seen some quite remarkable stuff in my time (e.g. Ultra-HD from NHK in japan), I'm still amazed every time I watch the Ten HD service.

The networks here don't ship EPG Delta's so the set-top-boxes aren't updated. By the time 7's sponsored Tivo arrived later in the year the full cross-network 14 day EPG publishing agreement will be in full effect and delta's will be provided.

Some of the shows I watch on torrent have massive watermarks across them. The use of on-screen "bugs" in US broadcasts is rampant. Some networks like The CW even employ half screen full-colour animated promo's halfway through an event!

If you're referring to US shows being broadcast over here, this is more to do with the scheduling in the US than here. As an example while House is taking a break for a couple of weeks (trying to smooth out the release schedule after the production downtime from the WGA strike) Ten have started showing Season 2 episodes from S02xE01 to fill the void. What annoys me and you obviously is that they don't tell you what they are doing. I have always felt that EPG should have have the Series and Episode Version ID's visible for episodics like House, etc. We did this in Europe (not the UK) and it worked really well.

My advice on this one is keep a track of the upcoming US schedule of your favorite shows using tv.com. The shows picked up here on the "Streamed from the US" type packages where they are broadcast "as they are shown in the US" are offset by a week, so add a week on the next scheduled airing of the show you like and that's when it will be aired.

e.g. Season 4 Episode 9 of Lost will not air in the US until 24th April (thanks to the WGA strike) so it won't be shown in Australia until 1st March. However, if you're one of the ~24,000 people who fell for the April Fool on Torrent yesterday, it's out now

Al
You obviously watch a bit of TV
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by viksta1000
what kind of satelite do the aussies use

Do they use sky or Virgin media out there or somthing else?

And can we get channels like sky sports and sky movies out there?

Thanks
Vik
If you are wanting pay TV then take a look at http://foxtel.com.au/ similar to sky but a lot less channels but then you can only watch one at once. The sports channels are called Fox sports and do show UK soccer.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cj321
If you are wanting pay TV then take a look at http://foxtel.com.au/ similar to sky but a lot less channels but then you can only watch one at once. The sports channels are called Fox sports and do show UK soccer.
A cheaper option without Fox sports but with movie channels is http://www.selectv.com
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

With a couple of honourable exceptions, don't think I've read a thread with so much crap advice on it.

Now that MyStar has launched (the equivalent of Sky+ ... and yes, I know Foxtel IQ has been out for ages) ... you can get the missing 3 channels, complete with EPG.

Regarding downloads - I've been downloading the 1920x1080i torrents for some time now and find them every bit as good as real HD broadcasts on stations like 10. Have also started snagging Bue Ray rips in .ts format, which are stunning.

Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Havent read all replies, and concur, some pretty ordinary replies here.

Foxtel IQ2 or IQ+ whichever guise it will be going under is due, very soon.

I have a question though.

we have 2 dishes, one is a master, one is a slave, running foxtel IQ in 2 locations.

I am told, the LNB on each dish can output, via f type connector to 4 separate signals, receivers.

My question

Can I buy a foxtel box off ebay etc, hook up some cable, to the dish, and have a 2nd slave unit for a bedroom etc.?

I am aware, I could run, digi coax and component cable ( on IQ with a scart adaptor at foxtel end ) but that would mean I could only watch in say a separate room, the same as is being watched from whence it came !

Any suggestions. The above digi coax/component method I used for old media room, and worked a dream, until wife at other end of house, switched over to Coronation Street halfway thru, Days of their lives... what a pisser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.