British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Televisions down under (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/televisions-down-under-513300/)

lou666 Feb 10th 2008 4:31 pm

Televisions down under

Hi there,
Going to Perth in October! Can we take our tv's with us? Will they work?

Backhomeatlast Feb 10th 2008 4:33 pm

Re: Televisions down under

Originally Posted by lou666 (Post 5912628)
Hi there,

Think they are different frequencies.

the TV is rubbish anyway.

CaptainMerton Feb 10th 2008 4:41 pm

On the sunject of rubbish aussie tv is there any way to watch the good old bbc out in oz like bbc 24 etc and also can you watch Scottish/English football on tv out there i.e. Setanta, Sky etc?

Backhomeatlast Feb 10th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton (Post 5912669)
On the sunject of rubbish aussie tv is there any way to watch the good old bbc out in oz like bbc 24 etc and also can you watch Scottish/English football on tv out there i.e. Setanta, Sky etc?

Yes in the bars, but a pint of lager in Oz is about £3.50:eek:

CaptainMerton Feb 10th 2008 6:42 pm

Is Oz sh1te then?

Backhomeatlast Feb 10th 2008 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton (Post 5913062)
Is Oz sh1te then?

It was for me....yes.

futureaussie Feb 10th 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton (Post 5912669)

Setanta is available as add on to Foxtel.Reasonable price and details are on setanta web site.Matches not on live in uk are shown live in Oz.

greenie Feb 10th 2008 6:58 pm

If you have broadband access, and can attach it to a TV in the UK, you can watch all the UK channels with a ‘slingbox’… :thumbsup:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

CaptainMerton Feb 10th 2008 7:17 pm

Backhomeatlast - why was it sh1te?

FutureAussie - can i add Setanta to Foxtel and get Rangers v Celtic games live in my front room in Oz? Any idea?

Backhomeatlast Feb 10th 2008 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton (Post 5913170)
Backhomeatlast - why was it sh1te?

FutureAussie - can i add Setanta to Foxtel and get Rangers v Celtic games live in my front room in Oz? Any idea?

Everyone is different and you might love it, it just was not for me for loads of reasons I have posted before, try it mate or you will always think "what if"

CaptainMerton Feb 10th 2008 7:26 pm

Any chance you can give me a few brief reasons why you didn't like it. It's a girl taking me out so i'm not 100% pro australia so always interested to find out how others really found it.

Wheeler-Jones Feb 10th 2008 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by lou666 (Post 5912628)
Hi there,

Loads of people take their TVs. Check with your shipping company or manufacturer as not all work out there.

Captain - google a few cable providers - Austar and Foxtel are the main two as far as I can remember and you can check out all the various packages they offer.

PS in reference to 'backhomeatlast' comments- I think Oz is great and I am a kiwi!! Sure some pubs might be $$ but that's because most Aussies find drinking in the comfort of their own home next to the bbq with their mates much more satisfying. CaptainMerton - Don't go there to get a slice of UK - expect different! If you are the type to fancy a cheap pint in a Wetherspoon's then I would probably suggest moving somewhere in the UK.

Lou666 - sorry to hijack!

CaptainMerton Feb 10th 2008 7:37 pm

Cheers. I'm going to Oz for 3 months in June. That should be long enough to decide if i like it or not. But without access to UK football i dunno if i could stand the place.

Backhomeatlast Feb 10th 2008 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton (Post 5913195)
Any chance you can give me a few brief reasons why you didn't like it. It's a girl taking me out so i'm not 100% pro australia so always interested to find out how others really found it.

Had some great times and and did some club work to supplement my job as a sparkey , I am a hill runner and long distance walker in my spare time....it was to hot to do any of that and when the rain comes it really rains for days:confused: so no chance of getting my runs, Perth for ME was boring and isolated, but i am like that and get easily bored...man you will probably love the experience, try it and I promise you will not regret it even if you come home.:thumbup:

Wheeler-Jones Feb 10th 2008 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton (Post 5913222)
Cheers. I'm going to Oz for 3 months in June. That should be long enough to decide if i like it or not. But without access to UK football i dunno if i could stand the place.

You could always watch the Socceroos :) Aside from the name (my OH hates) I reckon they have a chance next World Cup.

I don't think you will have too much trouble finding a place to watch. If in doubt head to the local backpackers - they will ALWAY know where to find the football/rugby/women's lacrosse.