Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Televisions down under

Televisions down under

Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:53 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Televisions down under

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
You could always watch the Socceroos Aside from the name (my OH hates) I reckon they have a chance next World Cup.

I don't think you will have too much trouble finding a place to watch. If in doubt head to the local backpackers - they will ALWAY know where to find the football/rugby/women's lacrosse.

Of what
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:57 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Of what
ha ha - guess it depends on whether we have a dodgy english referee this time

BTW are you wearing an Aussie shirt? Every time I see your avatar it makes me think of the Aussies (or Saffa's)!!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:59 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha - guess it depends on whether we have a dodgy english referee this time

BTW are you wearing an Aussie shirt? Every time I see your avatar it makes me think of the Aussies (or Saffa's)!!
Yes, Perth lions rugby club.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

I had two mates who travelled round Oz for 5 weeks on a long holiday from Perth. They started in Perth where they had a friend working as an engineer. When they came home they said it was the dullest most depressing place on Earth. I am headed to Sydney have been before and thought it was ok. Like you say better to see and come back than not to go at all and always wonder. I've been to Melbourne before quite liked it. Whole different ballgame living there though.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Loads of people take their TVs. Check with your shipping company or manufacturer as not all work out there.
Is there a way of telling from the instruction manuals? What feature should I look for to know if my TV's would work or not? I

I've brought two new TV's recently and didn't even think about them not working in Oz

They are both those Goodmans HD ready digital flat screen 'blah...blah...blah' TV's (I'm trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about!)
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
I had two mates who travelled round Oz for 5 weeks on a long holiday from Perth. They started in Perth where they had a friend working as an engineer. When they came home they said it was the dullest most depressing place on Earth. I am headed to Sydney have been before and thought it was ok. Like you say better to see and come back than not to go at all and always wonder. I've been to Melbourne before quite liked it. Whole different ballgame living there though.
Sydney or Melbourne may have been great for me...Good luck mate you will enjoy the experience even if you do not stay in Oz.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

futureaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Backhomeatlast - why was it sh1te?

FutureAussie - can i add Setanta to Foxtel and get Rangers v Celtic games live in my front room in Oz? Any idea?
It works like Sky/Setanta in this country just select channel and watch.With time difference you might prefer to watch from bed.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:50 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why everyone should work in Swindon before they do any travelling, gives you a sense of perspective.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:51 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Is there a way of telling from the instruction manuals? What feature should I look for to know if my TV's would work or not? I

I've brought two new TV's recently and didn't even think about them not working in Oz

They are both those Goodmans HD ready digital flat screen 'blah...blah...blah' TV's (I'm trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about!)
Hey bubblegum. Well I am not the one who does the TV connecting, but have seen a few other posts mentioning it. The TV we have is a Prima LCD from Canada and we brought it back to UK fine. Something to do with the cables that connect the TV - scart cables?? Seriously I am clueless. Hopefully the person that answered this question another time will see this.

Otherwise try and search some of the shipping posts - they seem to cro pup often enough.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:59 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe

We shipped all our TV's and just plugged them in, they all work. The small ones in the bedroom don't have a very good picture but thats down to the fact that they don't have a ariel cable plugged into them yet.
They are all phillips.
Not sure how you can tell if they will work but f they are new then I should imagine they will.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
That's why everyone should work in Swindon before they do any travelling, gives you a sense of perspective.
Or Perth
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Or Perth
See my other reply ...
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
See my other reply ...
Our panasonic LCD tv does not work, apparantly if we plug it trough a ozzie vcr/digi box it might.
Any info much appreciated before i trawl through the search pages.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Our panasonic LCD tv does not work, apparantly if we plug it trough a ozzie vcr/digi box it might.
Any info much appreciated before i trawl through the search pages.
No experience here, we had an (Aussie) black and white TV for while and our current Sumo Wrestler Fat Screen Model has a broken remote ... not the best place for advice, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute though
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

i shipped out a 32" Philips tv and it worked fine, no problems. 'Cept i couldn't get BBC1 anymore!

If it is football you are after then you will have to invest in FoxTel - about $100 a month for the equivalent of Sky+.

You can then get Setanta on a month by month contrat for about $15 per month.

We do actually get to see more live footy on TV than those in the UK, we get the early and late Saturday games, but also have viewers choice between all the games being played at 3pm Saturday.

Just factor in the (11 hour) time difference - the amount of times i fall asleep in front of one game only to wake up at the end of another....!

As for other UK tv, the channel 'UKTV' is i think part owned by BBC and does what it says on the tin. Also Lifestyle for all your Phil and Kirstie needs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.