Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telecoms Jobs (BT)

Telecoms Jobs (BT)

Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Don2211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Telecoms Jobs (BT)

I was wondering if anyone knows how easy/hard it is to get a telecoms job in Oz. Im moving to Perth in Jan 08 hopefully and was just looking for some info.

I work for BT in Network Management but have also worked installing and repairing the network, up poles, down holes and in customers houses,etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Don
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Telecoms Jobs (BT)

Originally Posted by Don2211
I was wondering if anyone knows how easy/hard it is to get a telecoms job in Oz. Im moving to Perth in Jan 08 hopefully and was just looking for some info.

I work for BT in Network Management but have also worked installing and repairing the network, up poles, down holes and in customers houses,etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Don
Don,
I work for virgin media as a network eng and some of my colleagues from different areas have made the move.
Here is an axtract fron#m one email I was sent:-

The main course you need is the....

ACMA open cabling course,1 week long,$700.

you can then get extra endorsements on this registration....

Optical,Cat5/structured cabling,coax

These courses are available at all TAFE's.There are numerous other courses with telstra accreditation.... pit/pipe,confined spaces,cable hauling..the list is endless!!

Here is some stuff and links regarding courses....

http://www.bhtafe.edu.au/ShortCourses/ETF61.htm .....this is where i done it.

http://www.ramsdentraining.com.au/

http://www.jbhunter.com.au/home.aspx

I arrived,found the soonest open cabling course,passed it,applied for a job,got the job...........this was all within a month of getting here.When my work calms down a bit i intend doing the endorsements,they are pretty cheap compared to UK prices.

My only worry before i arrived was finding a job,i need not have worried.You might not find your dream job but you will find a job,there is loads of work over here.

another extract

When/if you arrive you'll have to take the open cabling registration which is 1 week of sheer boredom learning rules and regs...this allows you to do any cabling work on business and customer properties.The exam is quite hard.There are 2 major players regarding cable out here,Telstra and Optus...you need to take further courses to become accredited to work for either.They contract a lot of there work out..nigh on impossible to get in house.There are plenty of opportunities out here cos there are so many more small business outfits than in the UK,depending on what you are looking for you'll be able to find some sort of job.It's all SDH and DSLAM technoligies out here,PDH knowlegde is virtually useless.

A cabling/telco/installer/service tech job gets you around $45,000 a year,a more senior role can get you up to $70,000.

Hope some of this helps
Johnnyyt
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Don2211 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much mate, seems like useful info u have gave me there, I will check that out

Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Don,
glad the info was of use. If you find out anymore pass the info along please, there's lots of migrants interested in telecomms.
Johnnyyt