Teaching trip

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:49 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching trip

Originally Posted by evets
WOW OP you are not taking the feedback well. Are you expecting to come to Australia on a 1 possibly 2 year WHV and find you land on your feet. You should not be so reactive to the posts, you are asking people for advice who actually life and work here and can provide assistance.

The WHV is about visiting a new country and experiencing lifestyle and culture, due to the 6 month limit it makes it difficult for potential employers to hire you as they know you will not be long term.

If you are so focused on your career and have a good job, your best bet stay with it and stay in the UK.

If you are willing to step outside your comfort zone, and maybe find an employer that would sponsor you in Australia, then take the chance. It can and does happen.

It appears to me you do not want to do this as you think the WHV will land you a permanent job.

From reading numerous posts on this forum and other expat forums, plenty of people take the risk in the hope of a better/different lifestyle. Some succeed, some fail.

As other posts I have read teaching jobs are hard to secure, especially being a new immigrant. The job market is quite tough in Australia at the moment and not only for teaching jobs, it appears to be all over.

Maybe re-evaluate your situation, could you take a year out and come back to the UK and still get back on the ladder!
I soooooo agree with you, kudos! Hubby advertised two jobs (and no, they won't or can't do 457 before I get another damned PM from hopefuls!!!). Year ago, applicants 10-15, this year 300+
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Alextheophilus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, I see that a lot of the employers i have been searching are quite particular about having the right to work.

Evets - I am not expecting anything, it is just a line of enquiry that I am looking at. There have been some very good suggestions on this forum and I do appreciate all the help. However, I have never been the type of person to just go with a small amount of change and hope for the best. Actually, this has made me reconsider my direction, not just my plans, so I think it has been extremely beneficial.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
There were actually three amnesties where illegal or temporary residents were forgiven and granted permanent residency visas.

The first was in 1976 but relatively few people took it up. The second was in 1980. I was granted PR via that amnesty - not that I was here illegally, I had an extended WHV and wanted to stay longer - and there was another, supposedly final, amnesty in 1983.

As you say, there's never been one since, though Bob Hawke did grant thousands of PR visas en masse to the Chinese students who were in Australia at the time of the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989.

I knew a guy who lived and worked here illegally for around 7 years. He was waiting for another amnesty. Gave up waiting eventually and returned to the UK. I often wonder what they said to him on the way out..
Thats really interesting, thanks.I think he would've been in the 1980 batch, though I'm not certain,
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fair enough. It was probably different when I did it back in the '90s. A friend spent a year (this was in the '00s) at one company on a WHV and he is now a citizen

I actually worked here illegally for 6 months during my backpacker days - no employer checked my visa. When I did our PR application, I told them about this episode and there was no comeback at all
My husband's 21 year old nephew (little shit that he is) came over a couple of years ago on a WHV. He wanted to stay for 2 years, so I had quite a few talks with him about what he needed to do and where he needed to do it to get the second year.

After 6 months of enjoying our hospitality, he nicked off to Melbourne and didn't keep in touch. Found out recently that he didn't do his 3 months in a designated rural area - instead he used the rural work details of someone else (who I suspect sold them to him), and got his second year that way.

I'm pleased to say that DIBP caught up with him very quickly, and turfed him.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband's 21 year old nephew (little shit that he is) came over a couple of years ago on a WHV. He wanted to stay for 2 years, so I had quite a few talks with him about what he needed to do and where he needed to do it to get the second year.

After 6 months of enjoying our hospitality, he nicked off to Melbourne and didn't keep in touch. Found out recently that he didn't do his 3 months in a designated rural area - instead he used the rural work details of someone else (who I suspect sold them to him), and got his second year that way.

I'm pleased to say that DIBP caught up with him very quickly, and turfed him.
Looks like DIBP are more switched on now

Actually, I remember one employer asking to see my visa - which I didn't have. I told them that I would fax it to them. I got my mate's passport which had a WHV sticker. We photocopied his visa, photocopied my tourist visa, cut out my name and stuck it over his name on his visa - and them faxed it off. Job done and all it cost me was a couple of 6-packs

Awesome times