Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching skills assessment

Teaching skills assessment

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

emmil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching skills assessment

My husband is a teacher (I'm a lawyer) and we've just submitted my husband's teaching skills assessment.

The website says check on the progress of your application after 3 months! Does anyone know how long the assessment usually takes because we obviously can't get started on our emigration application until we receive an approved assessment certificate.

Also, has anyone recently moved to Adelaide or thereabouts as a teacher and/or newly qualified lawyer? Are we likely to find work or is it just a pipedream??
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching skills assessment

My partner applied for one in late September. We got the receipt for the application and a letter from the assessor on the same day to ask for references as it was not clear on the form that they were needed. We sent them off and got the form back a week later. Total time was about 6 weeks.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Hello, My skills assessment came back after about a month and a half. Good luck with yours.

Last edited by vikk; Jan 3rd 2005 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmil
My husband is a teacher (I'm a lawyer) and we've just submitted my husband's teaching skills assessment.

The website says check on the progress of your application after 3 months! Does anyone know how long the assessment usually takes because we obviously can't get started on our emigration application until we receive an approved assessment certificate.

Also, has anyone recently moved to Adelaide or thereabouts as a teacher and/or newly qualified lawyer? Are we likely to find work or is it just a pipedream??
You can save time by assembling all the documentation that DIMIA will require now, not waiting until later. For example, long form birth certs, marriage certs etc.

You may need to re-do a lot of your legal studies in South Australia as the recognition of foreign legal qualifications is limited. Check with the relevant state body to get the exact situation.

I expect your husband will need teaching registration in SA - if he meets the NOOSR requirements then he should be ok, but again - check.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can save time by assembling all the documentation that DIMIA will require now, not waiting until later. For example, long form birth certs, marriage certs etc.

You may need to re-do a lot of your legal studies in South Australia as the recognition of foreign legal qualifications is limited. Check with the relevant state body to get the exact situation.

I expect your husband will need teaching registration in SA - if he meets the NOOSR requirements then he should be ok, but again - check.

Jeremy
Thanks for the information, I have checked with the UK's equivalent to the Law Society and apparently I will need to sit a constitutional exam and study Torrens property law? They also said I would probably have to serve some time as a legal clerk before actually practicing as a lawyer. Does this sound familiar to you, or do you think it will be more complicated than that??
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:07 am
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point

my noosr assessment took 14 weeks applied for march 2003.

Good luck

Laura
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:18 am
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point

He may have to supply teach for a while first to be assessed over here as well. At least that is how it works in QLD. I think WA is the same so it may be the same in SA. Make sure he has his police check ready as well (although you will have a copy of that anyway from you immigration application I guess). I have spent six months here not being able to work because of delays with a police check from the UK. (I didn't have one from immigration because I am Australian) Usually unless you work for a private school you have to go through the dept of ed in that state. Here is a link to the SA dept of ed site http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/recruit/pa...uitment/teach/

I know it is early days yet for you but in the waiting period it is good sometimes to have something to research and work on. Good luck!!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:05 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solicitor Moving to Australia

Emmil,

You might want to call my colleague Helen O'Hare on UK number 023 80 488777, as she is a solicitor and has background on the practising requirements of each of the State and Territory Law Societies ...

Best regards.

Thanks for the information, I have checked with the UK's equivalent to the Law Society and apparently I will need to sit a constitutional exam and study Torrens property law? They also said I would probably have to serve some time as a legal clerk before actually practicing as a lawyer. Does this sound familiar to you, or do you think it will be more complicated than that??
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: Solicitor Moving to Australia

I had my teaching assessed..I think it took 2.5 months but I didnt get an acknowledgement letter.

SS
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:49 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

My wife's assesment took only 19 days from leaving her grubby little hands at the DHL office to the certificate landing back on our doormat!

The trick seemed to be doing it online. You can now do most of your application, and just send the evidence, and pay directly on their website which seemed to speed up the process quite a bit.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Teaching skills assessment

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
My wife's assesment took only 19 days from leaving her grubby little hands at the DHL office to the certificate landing back on our doormat!

The trick seemed to be doing it online. You can now do most of your application, and just send the evidence, and pay directly on their website which seemed to speed up the process quite a bit.

Cheers.
This is good news because we completed our application online and the documents are being sent by UPS tomorrow. Are you actually working in Australia?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:41 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

This is good news because we completed our application online and the documents are being sent by UPS tomorrow. Are you actually working in Australia?
No, Ipswich!