Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching Posts in SA

Teaching Posts in SA

Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:39 am
Just Joined

JDuhig is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Teaching Posts in SA

Anyone know how the teaching system works in SA?

I have heard in NSW its the government that assigns the teacher to a school and takes the teacher that is at the top of the list. So no interviews etc. by the schools themselves.

Cheers
Jo
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching Posts in SA

Originally posted by JDuhig

I have heard in NSW its the government that assigns the teacher to a school and takes the teacher that is at the top of the list. So no interviews etc. by the schools themselves.

Cheers
Jo
Don't know the answer but will bump to the tp for you as we travel on 20th August to SA and I am a teacher so would love to know!
Susan
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Cheers
Jo

Sorry dont know about SA, but that it the way it works in WA unfortunately. Also new Aussie grads get priority over immigrants (a pain, but I happen to agree with the principle)

Dave
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teacher registration in South Australia

sorry I can't be more specific, but my wife's been a primary school teacher for years. She gets me to register her every 3 years in Adelaide at the Teacher's Registration Board in Wakefield Street ( I work in Adelaide, so can waste my lunch hour!) for about $65, allowing her to teach in front of a class in SA.
Recently, teachers now have to have done a weekend course on Mandatory Reporting of Abused Children ( I think that's right??) and the Red Cross or St. John's first Aid Course.
Things are changing and there are more changes on the horizon from the noises I get.
Basically, there are two streams of teaching . .. . . . SA State Education dep't and the private schools, made up 95% of Anglican (C of E), Lutheran ( a German/Scandinavian equivalent of Cof E) and Catholic with a few independent Christian networks. The private schools are pretty cheap in their fees and attract about 30% of school kids in South Australia and growing . . . .
My wife has taught in State Ed. schools here in SA and in Tasmania and in the Lutheran school system (being of German extraction)
Hope this helps
Bob and Ginnie

As far as job op's are concerned, all new teachers have been required, on graduating from teacher's college, for many years now, to teach in the "bush" for at least 2 years . . . "apprentice period" . . . . after which, they can apply for an appointment back in Adelaide or near their home town. I have a mate who has refused to go "bush" since graduating in 1979, and still only gets contracts on a term-by-term basis . . . he's pretty stubborn . . . and no permanent work for the Dep't., but I don't know about overseas teachers who have had experience in the class room.
I understand that there is a growing shortage of teachers in SA, like in Victoria and other States, and you will be on a short list I should imagine.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:24 am
Just Joined

thanks everyone - it sounds so very different, a lot to get your head around!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Default Re: teacher registration in South Australia

Originally posted by bob and ginnie
sorry I can't be more specific, but my wife's been a primary school teacher for years. She gets me to register her every 3 years in Adelaide at the Teacher's Registration Board in Wakefield Street ( I work in Adelaide, so can waste my lunch hour!) for about $65, allowing her to teach in front of a class in SA.
Recently, teachers now have to have done a weekend course on Mandatory Reporting of Abused Children ( I think that's right??) and the Red Cross or St. John's first Aid Course.
Things are changing and there are more changes on the horizon from the noises I get.
Basically, there are two streams of teaching . .. . . . SA State Education dep't and the private schools, made up 95% of Anglican (C of E), Lutheran ( a German/Scandinavian equivalent of Cof E) and Catholic with a few independent Christian networks. The private schools are pretty cheap in their fees and attract about 30% of school kids in South Australia and growing . . . .
My wife has taught in State Ed. schools here in SA and in Tasmania and in the Lutheran school system (being of German extraction)

Hope this helps
Bob and Ginnie

As far as job op's are concerned, all new teachers have been required, on graduating from teacher's college, for many years now, to teach in the "bush" for at least 2 years . . . "apprentice period" . . . . after which, they can apply for an appointment back in Adelaide or near their home town. I have a mate who has refused to go "bush" since graduating in 1979, and still only gets contracts on a term-by-term basis . . . he's pretty stubborn . . . and no permanent work for the Dep't., but I don't know about overseas teachers who have had experience in the class room.
I understand that there is a growing shortage of teachers in SA, like in Victoria and other States, and you will be on a short list I should imagine.

Thats really helpful thanks - does your wife apply directly to a school then? Is it her choice where she chooses to work or does the education dept send her to various posts?

Does she get much long term work? Or does she mostly do term by term stuff? AND.....what does she think of the schools in general and the extra curriculum work etc?

Hope I have not asked too many questions!

Appreciate your views.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
Don't know the answer but will bump to the tp for you as we travel on 20th August to SA and I am a teacher so would love to know!
Susan

Are you emigrating to SA then? Or is this just a visit?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems very very hard to break into and I just gave up with all the paperwork and there are only certain times of year that you can apply. It does seem that you have to serve time in the bush. I managed to get another job whilst I was battling with paperwork and gave up. There are a lot of Christian based schools and you have to prove you are a committed Christian etc to get into those - that cut down on about half of the potential jobs I could apply for. There is a paper published by the DETE which advertises the jobs. You also have to register with the SA Board - costs money and you have to fill in numerous forms and provide evidence. It helps if you get letters from your previous employers (ie the Principals) and they should outline exactly what you have taught and what your responsibilities have been. I do not feel that there is a big shortage of teachers in Adelaide but there is in the more remote areas - country towns and the buch towns as it seems most teachers want to work in town when the qualify. And yes it is very very hard to get a permie teaching job. Oh the days of browsing the Times Ed Supplement and being totally spoilt for choice are long gone but anyway I wish you luck but you will need nerves of steel to get through the process. TAFEs are another option but do not rely on if you are looking ofr full time.
Cheers E
Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teacher registration in South Australia

Thats really helpful thanks - does your wife apply directly to a school then? Is it her choice where she chooses to work or does the education dept send her to various posts?

Does she get much long term work? Or does she mostly do term by term stuff? AND.....what does she think of the schools in general and the extra curriculum work etc?

Hope I have not asked too many questions!

Appreciate your views.
When we came back from the Eastern States in '94, my wife only applied for casual releif teaching. They'd ring about 7 am and let her know where they'd like her to teach. Was she available at that time to teach that particular class?? Yes / No
The pay was handy . . . $250 for a few hours' work . . . but she had to be registered as a teacher by the Teacher's Reg. Board initially, before TRT (Temporary Releif Teaching) would ring her. About 30 State Ed. Dep't primary schools were in her "zone" and these were the ones that she'd teach temporarily in . . . sometimes for an afternoon / day / 2 or 3 days / week / fortnight / month / term . . . they'd see how she went at first, then offer her a longer period of TRT at that school, if the regular teacher was off long time.
She had taught many years earlier in the Lutheran School system, and approached the Lutheran School Board in Adelaide re: jobs. After a month or so, as she was already a previous teacher with them and had service records they could review, she was offered a term job teaching in a Lutheran primary school about 25 mins drive away. That was only 3 days a week, as my wife doesn't like to work full-time. She finished the next 2 terms to be offered permanent part time work (3 days a week) for the following year. That was '95. She's still there, but now is .7 instead of .6 and teaches Special Ed. (slow learners) that she adores. . . . . having trouble getting her thinking about "retiring" in 2 years and coming with me around Australia for a year, or three????
The "after hours" work is getting more and more tedious. Back in the late 70's when I first knew her to teach, there'd be one meeting after school a fortnight. Now it's 2 / 3 times a week! I asked if the quality of delivering education had improved as a result. No. It's to be seen as being "democratic" in the work place, but is somewhat UNproductive in burning out the teachers and not letting them have as much time to unwind. I'm sure you'd be familiar with all I'm stating. She does bring home, and has always done so, work to help in the week's teaching, e.g. paper cut outs for the kids to see, projects for them to do, etc.
SA State Ed. Dep't teaching is tougher. She reckons it's hard to avoid the political correct machinery and just do the job! That . . . and the office politics . . which is not nearly so prevalent in a Christian school atmosphere, which is there more to serve and teach the kids values and ethics rather than just see it as another job to bring the bacon home, full stop! (sticking my neck out a bit here!!!)
I can't see you having much problem with teaching in a South Australian country town for a short while, but if you want to land yourself straight into a plum job in a nice leafy suburb in Adelaide, I reckon you'd be joining a bit of a queue. Obviously, the Ed. Dep't would have the final say and you'd have to approach them by email or ring (alowing for time difference) to chat with one of their recruitment officers. Immigration would need details also, unless you are and Australian or New Zealand citizen.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

you have offered me a lot to think about and given me some very useful points of action - thanks.

Hope you get to do your travelling!