Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in OZ - what can one expect to be paid?

Teaching in OZ - what can one expect to be paid?

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Teaching in OZ - what can one expect to be paid?

I teach guitar and I'm self employed. Looking to continue teaching when I get to Australia.

also does anyone know if there are any qualifications required or government requirements for self employed teachers?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in OZ - what can one expect to be paid?

I think anyone can set themselves up as offering music teaching (just thinking, my S-i-L teaches piano but apart from her own exam passes I dont think she has any formal music teaching qualifications although she is a teacher) - not sure how much an hour they charge these days as my kids are well beyond that stage. Someone will be along to help I am sure.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
I think anyone can set themselves up as offering music teaching (just thinking, my S-i-L teaches piano but apart from her own exam passes I dont think she has any formal music teaching qualifications although she is a teacher) - not sure how much an hour they charge these days as my kids are well beyond that stage. Someone will be along to help I am sure.
Many thanks for the reply.

I'm not graded and don't have any teaching qualifications only experience.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:55 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

I know nothing about teaching, but it occurs to me that you might need to get a clearance if you teach children?

Cheers
b

I'm tempted to joke about bass players teaching guitarists...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I teach guitar and I'm self employed. Looking to continue teaching when I get to Australia.

also does anyone know if there are any qualifications required or government requirements for self employed teachers?

Thanks.
I pay my sons guitar teacher 24 dollars for 30 minute session.It is currently collecting dust in his room over the holidays.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benlast
I know nothing about teaching, but it occurs to me that you might need to get a clearance if you teach children?

Cheers
b

I'm tempted to joke about bass players teaching guitarists...
yeah I think a police clearance is a good idea. I've seen on the net some schools requiring liability insurance. Maybe that's a good idea too.

lets here the joke. I'm actually a lead guitarist turned bassist. so play both.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I pay my sons guitar teacher 24 dollars for 30 minute session.It is currently collecting dust in his room over the holidays.
I've seen similar on the net. $25 per half hour. I currently charge $80US per month so kinda the same but for 45 mins. 30 min lessons are really all one needs. Practice is key.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:29 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

lets here the joke. I'm actually a lead guitarist turned bassist. so play both.
Actually I started as a bass player many years ago, but mostly play lead now... I didn't have any jokes in particular in mind, though

Cheers
b
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

I've seen similar on the net. $25 per half hour. I currently charge $80US per month so kinda the same but for 45 mins. 30 min lessons are really all one needs. Practice is key.
A guitar teacher local to me charges $30, not sure of the duration, probably 30 or 45 mins.

If teaching children, consider the rules about Working with Children

QLD
In Queensland, a person will need a blue card if they propose to work, in a paid or voluntary capacity, or to carry on a business, in a child-related area regulated by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian Act 2000.

NSW
In New South Wales, the "NSW Commission for Children and Young People" is responsible for the Working with Children Check.

VIC
In Victoria, the Government requires a criminal check to be carried out for anyone wishing to work with children.

WA
In Western Australia, a Working with Children Check is compulsory for people who carry out child-related work.

Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A guitar teacher local to me charges $30, not sure of the duration, probably 30 or 45 mins.

If teaching children, consider the rules about Working with Children

QLD
In Queensland, a person will need a blue card if they propose to work, in a paid or voluntary capacity, or to carry on a business, in a child-related area regulated by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian Act 2000.

NSW
In New South Wales, the "NSW Commission for Children and Young People" is responsible for the Working with Children Check.

VIC
In Victoria, the Government requires a criminal check to be carried out for anyone wishing to work with children.

WA
In Western Australia, a Working with Children Check is compulsory for people who carry out child-related work.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful thanks.