Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching and Carpenter - Cairns

Teaching and Carpenter - Cairns

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Teaching and Carpenter - Cairns

Hi

I am a secondary ICT/Business teacher and OH a joiner. We were orginally looking at the Gold Coast area however, worrying about jobs perhaps we thought we should look at Cairns. Anyone here? What is work like?

thanks Nic
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

richayl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching and Carpenter - Cairns

Originally Posted by nbn8
Hi

I am a secondary ICT/Business teacher and OH a joiner. We were orginally looking at the Gold Coast area however, worrying about jobs perhaps we thought we should look at Cairns. Anyone here? What is work like?

thanks Nic
Hi there, we are heading for Cairns later in the year, awaiting Visa, OH is also a joiner. Our contacts there say that work for tradesmen has really died off which has upset us a little but heading there nevertheless ..........
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by richayl
Hi there, we are heading for Cairns later in the year, awaiting Visa, OH is also a joiner. Our contacts there say that work for tradesmen has really died off which has upset us a little but heading there nevertheless ..........
Have you been to Cairns before? What do you do?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

richayl is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you been to Cairns before? What do you do?
Hi there, never been to Australia at all lol.... I'm a company secretary /pa but have spent the last year gaining qualifications as a Beauty Therapist, Holistic Therapist and Nail Technician to give me something else for when I arrive. How far into things are you? If you have msn I will message you....
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by richayl
Hi there, never been to Australia at all lol.... I'm a company secretary /pa but have spent the last year gaining qualifications as a Beauty Therapist, Holistic Therapist and Nail Technician to give me something else for when I arrive. How far into things are you? If you have msn I will message you....
hi
i am a carpenter on the gold coast been in oz 3 years melbourne first 14 months then here remainder have visited cairns on holiday beautiful region but it will be a big shock to the system to work outdoors there with the humidity and heat maybe try a different area first then visit there on holiday to see for yourself

best of luck stu
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stu66
hi
i am a carpenter on the gold coast been in oz 3 years melbourne first 14 months then here remainder have visited cairns on holiday beautiful region but it will be a big shock to the system to work outdoors there with the humidity and heat maybe try a different area first then visit there on holiday to see for yourself

best of luck stu
Thanks - we are interested in Gold Coast however due to work prospects with thought of Cairns as another option. My oh is a carpenter do you have work? Where abouts do you live on GC we looked at pacific pines, robina, coomera areas. DO you know them? what are they like? thanks Nic
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Thanks - we are interested in Gold Coast however due to work prospects with thought of Cairns as another option. My oh is a carpenter do you have work? Where abouts do you live on GC we looked at pacific pines, robina, coomera areas. DO you know them? what are they like? thanks Nic
hi
i work for one of the largest formwork companies on the coast who are very busy still we get well paid and looked after as long as your a good worker and consciensus .We live in northern nsw in pottsville 45 min drive to surfers etc where most of the work is at moment ,i know most of the areas you mention they suit a lot of people but we wanted to be closer to the beach and not in a densley populated area cairns is more like a large uk town so limitations for work when there is a downturn
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stu66
hi
i work for one of the largest formwork companies on the coast who are very busy still we get well paid and looked after as long as your a good worker and consciensus .We live in northern nsw in pottsville 45 min drive to surfers etc where most of the work is at moment ,i know most of the areas you mention they suit a lot of people but we wanted to be closer to the beach and not in a densley populated area cairns is more like a large uk town so limitations for work when there is a downturn
Stu

Thanks v much maybe we will stick with our instincts of Gold Coast areas I have mentioned are areas people have recommended. How far is Pottsville from CBD? I know quite a question but do you think OH needs to be worried about finding work? Did you do Vetassess before your arrived in OZ. We are applying for Visa through me so he doesnt need TRA for visa. however we want to try and get all of his trades recognised before we travel.