Reload this Page >

Teaching in Australia or NZ

Teaching in Australia or NZ

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

u21db9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Australia or NZ

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to either Australia (most likely) or New Zealand. He is an engineer and I am just about to graduate from the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) with my B Ed (Hons) in Primary Education. (Predict grade a 2:1) The only thing is, I do not want to do my probationary year in Scotland. Does anyone know of any possible ways I can qualify in Australia or failing that, am I able to teacher in Australia, without completing my probationary year?

Thanks so much for any help!

Debs
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Australia or NZ

Originally Posted by u21db9
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to either Australia (most likely) or New Zealand. He is an engineer and I am just about to graduate from the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) with my B Ed (Hons) in Primary Education. (Predict grade a 2:1) The only thing is, I do not want to do my probationary year in Scotland. Does anyone know of any possible ways I can qualify in Australia or failing that, am I able to teacher in Australia, without completing my probationary year?

Thanks so much for any help!

Debs
Is your BEd a 3 or 4 year degree? If it is a 3 year degree then you won't qualify to teach anywhere in Australia, they require 4 yrs at uni (ie a bachelors plus PGCE). I don't know how you get a fourth year if you are short of a year but you might have to do a fourth year in Australia which will cost a fair bit.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Is your BEd a 3 or 4 year degree? If it is a 3 year degree then you won't qualify to teach anywhere in Australia, they require 4 yrs at uni (ie a bachelors plus PGCE). I don't know how you get a fourth year if you are short of a year but you might have to do a fourth year in Australia which will cost a fair bit.
I will finish my 4th year in the summer but to fully qualify as a sottish teacher the scottish general teaching council demands that every education student has to complete 1 full year as a probationary teacher. Do you think it will make a difference if I do not complete it before I come to Australia?

thanks so much for your help
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there
My husband came to Australia 3 months into his probationary period. He got a job and worked his way up (using prior work experience to move up payscales). 6 years on he is a senior teacher here
As far as I know he would count as a qualified teacher in the UK (I hope so, as we're going home at some stage!!)
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Hi there
My husband came to Australia 3 months into his probationary period. He got a job and worked his way up (using prior work experience to move up payscales). 6 years on he is a senior teacher here
As far as I know he would count as a qualified teacher in the UK (I hope so, as we're going home at some stage!!)
Wow, that is such a relief. Thank you for your help
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Hi there
Can I just clarify that your husband actually did the 4 year B Ed Primary Education course in Scotland? Sorry my boyfriend is a worrier and he just wanted to make sure
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by u21db9
Can I just clarify that your husband actually did the 4 year B Ed Primary Education course in Scotland? Sorry my boyfriend is a worrier and he just wanted to make sure
Don't worry - a bachelors is a bachelors - doesn't matter if Scotland or UK. For Oz you're all set (if you can get a role ) as long as you have your PGCE - QTS doesn't count for anything.