British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Teaching in Australia or NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/teaching-australia-nz-789182/)

u21db9 Mar 2nd 2013 12:34 pm

Teaching in Australia or NZ

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to either Australia (most likely) or New Zealand. He is an engineer and I am just about to graduate from the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) with my B Ed (Hons) in Primary Education. (Predict grade a 2:1) The only thing is, I do not want to do my probationary year in Scotland. Does anyone know of any possible ways I can qualify in Australia or failing that, am I able to teacher in Australia, without completing my probationary year?

Thanks so much for any help! :D

Debs

quoll Mar 2nd 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Teaching in Australia or NZ

Originally Posted by u21db9 (Post 10578991)
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to either Australia (most likely) or New Zealand. He is an engineer and I am just about to graduate from the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) with my B Ed (Hons) in Primary Education. (Predict grade a 2:1) The only thing is, I do not want to do my probationary year in Scotland. Does anyone know of any possible ways I can qualify in Australia or failing that, am I able to teacher in Australia, without completing my probationary year?

Thanks so much for any help! :D

Debs

Is your BEd a 3 or 4 year degree? If it is a 3 year degree then you won't qualify to teach anywhere in Australia, they require 4 yrs at uni (ie a bachelors plus PGCE). I don't know how you get a fourth year if you are short of a year but you might have to do a fourth year in Australia which will cost a fair bit.

u21db9 Mar 2nd 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 10579112)
Is your BEd a 3 or 4 year degree? If it is a 3 year degree then you won't qualify to teach anywhere in Australia, they require 4 yrs at uni (ie a bachelors plus PGCE). I don't know how you get a fourth year if you are short of a year but you might have to do a fourth year in Australia which will cost a fair bit.

I will finish my 4th year in the summer but to fully qualify as a sottish teacher the scottish general teaching council demands that every education student has to complete 1 full year as a probationary teacher. Do you think it will make a difference if I do not complete it before I come to Australia?

thanks so much for your help

Chortlepuss Mar 2nd 2013 10:17 pm

Hi there
My husband came to Australia 3 months into his probationary period. He got a job and worked his way up (using prior work experience to move up payscales). 6 years on he is a senior teacher here
As far as I know he would count as a qualified teacher in the UK (I hope so, as we're going home at some stage!!)

u21db9 Mar 3rd 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss (Post 10579682)
Hi there
My husband came to Australia 3 months into his probationary period. He got a job and worked his way up (using prior work experience to move up payscales). 6 years on he is a senior teacher here
As far as I know he would count as a qualified teacher in the UK (I hope so, as we're going home at some stage!!)

Wow, that is such a relief. Thank you for your help

u21db9 Mar 3rd 2013 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss (Post 10579682)
Hi there

Can I just clarify that your husband actually did the 4 year B Ed Primary Education course in Scotland? Sorry my boyfriend is a worrier and he just wanted to make sure :)

abi31 Mar 4th 2013 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by u21db9 (Post 10580355)
Can I just clarify that your husband actually did the 4 year B Ed Primary Education course in Scotland? Sorry my boyfriend is a worrier and he just wanted to make sure :)

Don't worry - a bachelors is a bachelors - doesn't matter if Scotland or UK. For Oz you're all set (if you can get a role ;)) as long as you have your PGCE - QTS doesn't count for anything.