Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching assistant qualifications in oz

Teaching assistant qualifications in oz

Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road
Question Teaching assistant qualifications in oz

Hi, i'm going to be starting a teaching assistant course in sept in uk, once i've passed it all and recieved my NVQ level 2 and 3. Can anybody tell me what the qualifications are for an australian teaching assistant are. Would i need to go back to college or uni over there even though i would of completed it over here. Also where do i find out about jobs for teaching assistants, does anybody know of any websites i can look at, also what do they usually get paid over there on average.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers nat.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Teaching assistant qualifications in oz

Hi Nat,

Bad news , They don't use teachers assistants like they do in UK, my wife started the same course last year until she found this out.

A Teachers Assistant in Oz is Special needs......Totally differnt qualifications !

regards,
Mark
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nice

Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
Hi, i'm going to be starting a teaching assistant course in sept in uk, once i've passed it all and recieved my NVQ level 2 and 3. Can anybody tell me what the qualifications are for an australian teaching assistant are. Would i need to go back to college or uni over there even though i would of completed it over here. Also where do i find out about jobs for teaching assistants, does anybody know of any websites i can look at, also what do they usually get paid over there on average.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers nat.
Hi Nat. I hold NVQ 2 and NVQ3 in early years care and education, my exp being in primary/early years. when I recently contacted a nursery school in Queensland, i was told that NVQ 2 was equivalent to australias Cert.111 and NVQ 3 equiv to a diploma. You will need to hold a blue card (Queensland) may be different for other states, which is similar to our CRB. cert 111 pays around 18dol, an diploma - (Room leader) 21 dol approx. There seem to be loadsa jobs in early years - this may be another option for you. Have a look at www.jobsearch.gov.au to give you an idea. Pm me if u want to, hope this helps. Good luck.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There's schools and then there is child care - the two are quite different. For child care you need certs. For schools, being a teacher aide is a non skilled (generally) low paid, short term contracts sort of a job in high demand from mums who want school hour paid employment. Some states are now bringing in certiv qualifications for working with integrated special ed kids but generally all you need is a first aid cert and a clean police record
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/The%20Fac...anzsco=422116A

Look at your state's particulars.
Ian
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mark1963
Hi Nat,

Bad news , They don't use teachers assistants like they do in UK, my wife started the same course last year until she found this out.

A Teachers Assistant in Oz is Special needs......Totally differnt qualifications !

regards,
Mark
has your wife done a course in australia now. If so which one.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies you gave me, i'll have to look into this a lot deeper now and try and get onto a course thaat does special needs. Cheers
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nat,

No she has not, we wont be in Oz untill Sept, so will make some updates when we know what the score is !

She has spent the past 4 years voulntry teachers assistans 1 day a week at my sons School, so all we can do is take refrences and see what happens.

I have a friend in sydney that is an ex teacher and she works for a teaching agency......this is how we know that the job does not exist, as we know it.

regards,
mark
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

cheers mark for that info,i hope yr wife and yourself will find jobs out there in oz.
We came back from oz in jan this year and we originally lived in melbourne(vic) and then in perth(wa) for 4yrs, i didn't have a career at all in oz and i ended up working in coles supermarket a few nights a week. We came back to uk cause of the kids education and since being back we are missing oz like crazy, cause we know we're gonna go back there in not the to distant future i thought i might as well get a career that will work with the kids, so when they are off school so am i, instead of paying out for day care centres as they can be quite expensive in oz.
Well i hope the move goes very smoothly for yourselves and feel free to ask any questions. Thanks again for the info.
nat
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered childcare?

There is a shortage of workers so the gov has introduced no fees for dip and adv dip courses.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ldcare+diploma

Getting an integration aide's job is not easy as they go to parents who have usually been volunteering in the school. I know a 20 year-old who got one but her dad is the head!

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter is in prep and all prep classes have a teachers assistants at her school. Not sure if this is the role you are after, but it isn't special needs based.

cheers
Mandy