centrelink

Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

nickbrissy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default centrelink

my wife is australian and gets child care rebate and family tax benefit for our kid. we got married in may 2009. they have written to us saying that they need proof that i was working from 2008-2009 as they are claiming that they over paid us.

my arguement is that as i was on a working visa and we didnt start living together until may 2009 that it shouldnt matter as i was and am still not eligible for any benefit, and as i had savings when i came over i didnt need to work.

obviously they are trying to reclaim the money and centrelink is very unhelpful with regards to this.

has anyone had this problem and how did they get around it?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: centrelink

Originally Posted by nickbrissy
my wife is australian and gets child care rebate and family tax benefit for our kid. we got married in may 2009. they have written to us saying that they need proof that i was working from 2008-2009 as they are claiming that they over paid us.

my arguement is that as i was on a working visa and we didnt start living together until may 2009 that it shouldnt matter as i was and am still not eligible for any benefit, and as i had savings when i came over i didnt need to work.

obviously they are trying to reclaim the money and centrelink is very unhelpful with regards to this.

has anyone had this problem and how did they get around it?
More info may be needed to answer this correctly.
You married in May 2009, but were you a couple before that ? is the child yours ? etc etc.

The marriage date has no bearing on this. A couple is a couple whether married or not.

Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

nickbrissy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: centrelink

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
More info may be needed to answer this correctly.
You married in May 2009, but were you a couple before that ? is the child yours ? etc etc.

The marriage date has no bearing on this. A couple is a couple whether married or not.
we werent living together until we got married in may 2009, and the child isnt mine.