Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching advice please!

Teaching advice please!

Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

mrsdwf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching advice please!

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site though i have been reading some info when my hubby is logged in. We're hoping to move to oz some point next year, been through our medical stuff, have our case worker etc etc.

At present, i'm the manager of a pre-school/private nursery here. When i get to oz, i'm seriously thinking about teacher training but i can't find any info on the government websites telling me what qualifications i need and if my existing qualifications will be of any use. I did try emailing some department last year but the girl that emailed me back just didn't understand my request for info (even though i broke it down and explained it very carefully) so i eventually gave up!!

So i'm wondering if anyone knows where i can find out such information? Is there anyone that has done anything similar?

Thanks in advance
x
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:07 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching advice please!

It may be worth having a look at the teaching section on the forum.
Click on Forum (at the top of the page), then "Working abroad by profession", and then on "Teaching".
You could try asking your question again on there.
Good luck with the move over.
Julie. x
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsdwf
Hi everyone, i'm new to this site though i have been reading some info when my hubby is logged in. We're hoping to move to oz some point next year, been through our medical stuff, have our case worker etc etc.

At present, i'm the manager of a pre-school/private nursery here. When i get to oz, i'm seriously thinking about teacher training but i can't find any info on the government websites telling me what qualifications i need and if my existing qualifications will be of any use. I did try emailing some department last year but the girl that emailed me back just didn't understand my request for info (even though i broke it down and explained it very carefully) so i eventually gave up!!

So i'm wondering if anyone knows where i can find out such information? Is there anyone that has done anything similar?

Thanks in advance
x
Which state are you considering moving to ? It does have a bearing.

That said. Teaching generally requires a 4 year degree. So if you already hold a 3 year bachelor you could just go for a Grad Dip Education for another year.

Some resources (these are for Queensland)

http://www.qct.edu.au/education/approved.html
http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recruitment/teaching/

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

You can do Early Years (0-8yrs) or Primary (Year 1-7) degree as external student.
If you did it external you could prob work in childcare whilst your training.

Curtin University do a 4 Year bachelor degree in Early Years.
This qualifies you to teach from birth to Year 3 in Schools.

So for the course you would do placement in a local nursery, then second year kindy in school, then it would be ofther Primary years finishing with Year 3.

This course gives you more options so you can work in private day care/nursery or in a school kindy,pre primary, up to Year 3.

Here is link to the early years 0-8yrs course and also the primary which is Year 1- Year 7:

http://guc.edu.au/CurtinUndergraduate.htm

Also Open Universities Primary degree external:
https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/W...T.ti=Education (Primary), Bachelor of

Other states will do something similar. Fees for PR are about $5000 per year.

* If you have qualifications as a Nursery Manager you might be able to get credit for the early years course.

Gems
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

mrsdwf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I've had a wee quick look at the websites you suggested but going to sit down with hubby and look over them properly.

We are moving to New South Wales. I love my job at present but i've always thought about teaching and maybe now with this huge change happening, its the time to do it. If i can do an early years teaching qualification, then that might be even better as i really enjoy working with that age group.

Thanks again. I'm sure i'll be back with more questions!

x
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea to look at the fees you will pay because unless you are a permanent resident and been here for a few years not entitled to HECS. They increased the course fees and they can be pricey.