Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney FTC / Newcomers Melbourne Cup Day Meets

Sydney FTC / Newcomers Melbourne Cup Day Meets

Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:49 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney FTC / Newcomers Melbourne Cup Day Meets

Hi everyone

Tuesday 3rd November is Melbourne Cup Day and as a result many venues will be booked before we know it so we need to start making plans now!

a) Wilgar is organising a lunch for "Newcomers" at Pennant Hills Bowls Club so that is one option for those that wish to don their finery! Hopefully she will post details on this thread and / or start another one. . . .

b) Alternatively, those with children or those not so keen on a "formal do" may like to meet at one of our usual hangouts! Let's see who is about on the 3rd and then we can decide where. . . .

I'm going for option b) - anyone care to join me?!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney FTC / Newcomers Melbourne Cup Day Meets

Yes, option b for me too - I don't possess suitable finery! I think most venues will be squeezing all the revenue they can from Melbourne Cup specials so the casual dining options are probably best.

The Belrose Hotel is serving it's normal bistro menu, but is asking for $10pp deposit for bookings (which they recommend), although that includes a glass of fizz and a free gift so I'm not sure if it's a genuine "deposit", i.e. offset against the bill, and they're just offering the freebies to get bums on seats, or if it's more of a cover charge (Australian restaurants have been known to confuse the two!!). There's no mention of the cup on the Tav's website but I could pop in to check what the story is there. I guess we can see who's around and whether we need somewhere with a play area and take it from there.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I'm up for option b also- I don't even own a dress or a hat!
Last year I went to the Terrey Hills Tavern for lunch- it was just normal menu, but was mega busy and they took your plate of you if you even paused for breath- certainly not the leisurely lunch we're used to! Not sure if anywhere would be any better though, thinking caps on!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Ron the Pom is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote for Option B too, although I may not be around on the day, I will have a think about a suitable venue.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

What about one of the garden centres? Eden Gardens or Flower Power... surely they're not doing Melbourne Cup stuff....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:10 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Giving this a bump to see if anyone else is around next week. . . .
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Sal1705 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, we are not around this month as off on hols.

Hopefully catch up with you all again in December.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed option a) last year- I so rarely get to don a proper dress- mind you it hadn't arrived this time last year so I had to make do....I want an opportunity to dress up, as normally I'm the bag lady!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Option B is certainly underway and I have had three defintes so ladies of the Newcomers, The Hills & FTC if you wish to celebrate the Melbourne Cup with champagne and laughter please PM me asap. $ 25 only including 3 courses.

We`ll meet at my house for fizz before heading up to the club for a set lunch and watch the races on TV. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in horse racing (tho my mother is a horse breeder!) but I love dressing up, spending time with friends and drinking champagne. I`ll watch the `race that stops the nation` at 3pm as my children come home by train but some of you may need to leave just before the race for school pick up......

Caroline you do not look like a baglady. CEM are you joining us?You must make the most of your Sydney time.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:22 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Option B is certainly underway and I have had three defintes so ladies of the Newcomers, The Hills & FTC if you wish to celebrate the Melbourne Cup with champagne and laughter please PM me asap. $ 25 only including 3 courses.

We`ll meet at my house for fizz before heading up to the club for a set lunch and watch the races on TV. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in horse racing (tho my mother is a horse breeder!) but I love dressing up, spending time with friends and drinking champagne. I`ll watch the `race that stops the nation` at 3pm as my children come home by train but some of you may need to leave just before the race for school pick up......

Caroline you do not look like a baglady. CEM are you joining us?You must make the most of your Sydney time.
At $25 it would be churlish not to!! How 'fine' do we need to be?

Look forward to seeing you then. Please can you pm me your address, so I can put it in 'Tim'?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:30 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by CEM
At $25 it would be churlish not to!! How 'fine' do we need to be?
well, depends if Wilgar hoping to take out prize for "Best Dressed" in my absence this year!!

Have fun
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:53 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Originally Posted by Hoola
well, depends if Wilgar hoping to take out prize for "Best Dressed" in my absence this year!!

Have fun
What kind of reply is that?!

Are you coming out to play or not?! Or what better invitation have you received?!

How does everyone feel about Option B venue being my place? I'll have to fetch daughter no. 1 from Balgowlah at 3pm so would need to kick you all out by 2.30. . . .
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I'm happy to come to your place. Should we all bring a plate?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:16 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Originally Posted by yanH
I'm happy to come to your place. Should we all bring a plate?

Stop being such an aussie! No - I'll treat you to that lettuce leaf I promised you some weeks back!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ron the Pom is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy to come to yours too, if I am around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.