Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching ; TAFE Program

Teaching ; TAFE Program

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Teaching ; TAFE Program

Hi folks,
Does anyone know how I can apply for teaching at TAFE program or basically how they select their academc staff?

TNX
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching ; TAFE Program

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi folks,
Does anyone know how I can apply for teaching at TAFE program or basically how they select their academc staff?

TNX
Varies from state to state and locale.

Usually a min of 5 years relevant industry experience after qualification (equal or higher than you teach).

Also a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or higher.

WW
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just enter TAFE jobs in Google and the likes of this comes up:

http://www.tafe.qld.gov.au/jobs_and_careers/
http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/sydney/e...iversity-tafe/

Try other searches like TAFE and the state(s) you are interested in.

OzTennis (former Vic TAFE teacher)
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks friends,
Dear Tennis!
Could you please let me know more about its goods and evils? especially salaries in IT field and other useful hints.
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just enter TAFE jobs in Google and the likes of this comes up:

http://www.tafe.qld.gov.au/jobs_and_careers/
http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/sydney/e...iversity-tafe/

Try other searches like TAFE and the state(s) you are interested in.

OzTennis (former Vic TAFE teacher)
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks friends,
Dear Tennis!
Could you please let me know more about its goods and evils? especially salaries in IT field and other useful hints.
Thank you very much!
My experiences are not recent it must be said first of all. I was in a country Vic TAFE college (Bendigo) and when I got this job it was advertised by the college, I attended an interview and was duly appointed. I taught in the Business Studies Dept (rather than a trade) and part of our department included I.T. I taught mainly what was known then as Tertiary Orientation Year (an alternative to Year 12 at secondary school for those intending to go on to College rather than University) as well as VCE night classes for adults and short courses we designed and ran for local industry.

I must say I really enjoyed it and preferred it to teaching in a secondary school - mainly because all my students were 17 years of age and above. Salaries at that time were slightly better than in the state secondary sector and there was also overtime or time off in lieu because of the night classes. I eventually became Head of the Business Studies department and that was the last job I had before coming to the UK (my wife is Scottish). We always make a point of going back to Bendigo when we are over each year and I still see my mates from those TAFE college days.

I'm struggling to think of many evils. Perhaps some would think that you get on average brighter pupils elsewhere - no question when compared to a fee paying school but debatable in comparison with most state secondary schools. You don't get younger children if that is a problem. You did get a bit of 'us and them' between the 2 main areas of pupils and staff (academic and trade for want of better terms, white collar and blue collar subjects perhaps). However, you get that in any school from my experiences (sciences, humanities, arts, PE etc).

The college I worked in was part of LaTrobe University so it was good to see students go on to Uni and to have regular contact with teaching staff in the same subject areas at tertiary level (they moderated our courses etc).

Go for it (or is that I.T.) I say!

OzTennis
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cool Re: Teaching ; TAFE Program

VERY GREAT!!!
Hope to see you there
Thanks alot for your comprehensive guidelines.

My experiences are not recent it must be said first of all. I was in a country Vic TAFE college (Bendigo) and when I got this job it was advertised by the college, I attended an interview and was duly appointed. I taught in the Business Studies Dept (rather than a trade) and part of our department included I.T. I taught mainly what was known then as Tertiary Orientation Year (an alternative to Year 12 at secondary school for those intending to go on to College rather than University) as well as VCE night classes for adults and short courses we designed and ran for local industry.

I must say I really enjoyed it and preferred it to teaching in a secondary school - mainly because all my students were 17 years of age and above. Salaries at that time were slightly better than in the state secondary sector and there was also overtime or time off in lieu because of the night classes. I eventually became Head of the Business Studies department and that was the last job I had before coming to the UK (my wife is Scottish). We always make a point of going back to Bendigo when we are over each year and I still see my mates from those TAFE college days.

I'm struggling to think of many evils. Perhaps some would think that you get on average brighter pupils elsewhere - no question when compared to a fee paying school but debatable in comparison with most state secondary schools. You don't get younger children if that is a problem. You did get a bit of 'us and them' between the 2 main areas of pupils and staff (academic and trade for want of better terms, white collar and blue collar subjects perhaps). However, you get that in any school from my experiences (sciences, humanities, arts, PE etc).

The college I worked in was part of LaTrobe University so it was good to see students go on to Uni and to have regular contact with teaching staff in the same subject areas at tertiary level (they moderated our courses etc).

OzTennis
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dear Tennis!
Could you please let us know your academic qulificaiton when you was teaching those courses.And generally, which kind of qualification is requested by TAFE centers.
Thanks alot

OzTennis
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Dear Tennis!
Could you please let us know your academic qulificaiton when you was teaching those courses.And generally, which kind of qualification is requested by TAFE centers.
Thanks alot
Full time TAFE teachers in QLD were required to to have a Bachelor degree in adult in Education (if they didnt have a Degree ie trade based quals or certificate level).

For Graduates it was a Graduate Diploma of adult education(2 years part time).

TAFE QLD went through a silly stage a few years ago were they encouraged people to leave ($$) , and of course the ones they needed left.

Like any work place the quality of the team is important. I was very lucky as we had a cohesive team with a vision. Other collegues had lots of problems for all the usual reasons.

I dont regret my time there.

WW
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks WW,
Still look forward to hearing other experiences.

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Full time TAFE teachers in QLD were required to to have a Bachelor degree in adult in Education (if they didnt have a Degree ie trade based quals or certificate level).

For Graduates it was a Graduate Diploma of adult education(2 years part time).

TAFE QLD went through a silly stage a few years ago were they encouraged people to leave ($$) , and of course the ones they needed left.

Like any work place the quality of the team is important. I was very lucky as we had a cohesive team with a vision. Other collegues had lots of problems for all the usual reasons.

I dont regret my time there.

WW
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dear Tennis!
Thanks alot
When I went into TAFE (for the 'non trade' side) it was the same requirement as state secondary teaching - 4 years tertiary education to include teacher training (either min 3 year degree and one year teacher training, called Diploma of Education or Dip Ed; or a 4 year combined course which included teaching training) - PLUS there was an industrial experience requirement to teach in TAFE. At that time it was 3 years minimum IE.

I have a Commerce Degree and Diploma of Education from the University of Melbourne but my experience was unusual in that I worked in industry in-between and went back to do teacher training because I wanted to go into education (so I could have the same lengthy holidays as my teacher wife - partly true, but I did want to teach too).

OzTennis
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Dear Tennis! thank you for guidelines.
I will be an IT PhD student there. May I expect to find a teaching position in TAFE without any educational degree and just due to my technical knowledge and previous teaching experiences?

TNX a lot

When I went into TAFE (for the 'non trade' side) it was the same requirement as state secondary teaching - 4 years tertiary education to include teacher training (either min 3 year degree and one year teacher training, called Diploma of Education or Dip Ed; or a 4 year combined course which included teaching training) - PLUS there was an industrial experience requirement to teach in TAFE. At that time it was 3 years minimum IE.

I have a Commerce Degree and Diploma of Education from the University of Melbourne but my experience was unusual in that I worked in industry in-between and went back to do teacher training because I wanted to go into education (so I could have the same lengthy holidays as my teacher wife - partly true, but I did want to teach too).

OzTennis