Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teachers: WA and Queensland

Teachers: WA and Queensland

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:12 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teachers: WA and Queensland

Could anyone give any realistic idea of the timespan between arriving in either of these states and actually being able to teach - either on a temporary or permanent basis (regardless of the availability of positions)? I know about the teaching college system in WA and another system in Queensland but I need to know the practicalities from people who have already experienced arrival and work.
I have been quoted up to 3 months to get the valid documentation in Queensland - which, bearing in mind that NOOSR have already validated my professional skills, seems bureacractic in the extreme - bordering on third world levels of office efficiency. It also seems somewhat strange that the governent wants us to work straight away and support ourselves and yet the bureacracy seems to stymie my desire to do so.
Obviously, I don't want to break the law but I would be interested to know the 'word on the street' on how it all actually works - officially and unofficially. Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:23 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teachers: WA and Queensland

Originally Posted by NKSK
Could anyone give any realistic idea of the timespan between arriving in either of these states and actually being able to teach - either on a temporary or permanent basis (regardless of the availability of positions)? I know about the teaching college system in WA and another system in Queensland but I need to know the practicalities from people who have already experienced arrival and work.
I have been quoted up to 3 months to get the valid documentation in Queensland - which, bearing in mind that NOOSR have already validated my professional skills, seems bureacractic in the extreme - bordering on third world levels of office efficiency. It also seems somewhat strange that the governent wants us to work straight away and support ourselves and yet the bureacracy seems to stymie my desire to do so.
Obviously, I don't want to break the law but I would be interested to know the 'word on the street' on how it all actually works - officially and unofficially. Thanks.

Thought I'd bump this up a bit to catch those of you just finishing work!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teachers: WA and Queensland

Originally Posted by NKSK

Have you tried:

www.education.qld.gov.au

www.eddept.wa.edu.au

Although not a teacher myself, this should give you a starting point for contact for official info from the state eduction departments. Be aware that you now have to have your personal background history vetted in Qld over and above what you have already done, if you work with kids, for obvious reasons.

PS, pretty sure this is vetting now REQUIRED nationally before you work in any capacity.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 4th 2005 at 6:53 am.