Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teacher Placement Process Queensland

Teacher Placement Process Queensland

Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

seekingoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teacher Placement Process Queensland

I am a teacher in the Uk, i have my working holiday visa to bridge until my skilled migrant 175 comes through.

Does anyone understand how the teacher placement proess works, in the UK you apply to the school direct, in QLD you apply to the department of education - I have done this, i have my QCT registration etc.

Does anyone know about offers of work and how selective one can be - ie. can you turn things down if they dont appeal

I have been offered a couple of postions - one in Mackay and one in Roma but I was wanting to move to Cairns or Brisbane.

Has anyone got any advice? Can you hold out for a better location, or do you just have to take what is offered?

Anybody know about cut off dates etc?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher Placement Process Queensland

Originally Posted by seekingoz
I am a teacher in the Uk, i have my working holiday visa to bridge until my skilled migrant 175 comes through.

Does anyone understand how the teacher placement proess works, in the UK you apply to the school direct, in QLD you apply to the department of education - I have done this, i have my QCT registration etc.

Does anyone know about offers of work and how selective one can be - ie. can you turn things down if they dont appeal

I have been offered a couple of postions - one in Mackay and one in Roma but I was wanting to move to Cairns or Brisbane.

Has anyone got any advice? Can you hold out for a better location, or do you just have to take what is offered?

Anybody know about cut off dates etc?
From what I understand (a teacher who was going to Brisbane!) if you didn't do your training in a QLD Uni then you have fewer points and will find it extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) hard to get any sort of permanent job in Brisbane. Those with lots of points get the cream of the locations then you get offered accordingly. If you take a rural position you can earn points quicker than otherwise.

When I was looking, I had resigned myself to relief teaching in Brisbane and trying to secure some longer contracts......

Someone else may have different info, but this is what I was lead to believe....
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:22 am
Just Joined

I have been offered work in Brisbane, only to have it disappear through the transfer process to someone else. The Human resources team in brisbane have told me there will be work - i teach manual arts which is in great shortage - but do i just take someones word on this or should i take something guaranteed? My concern is if i take something somewhere i dont know i'll hate it and then i will be stuck there!

Do you know about how you transfer out of a place one you've served your contract?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I have been offered work in Brisbane, only to have it disappear through the transfer process to someone else. The Human resources team in brisbane have told me there will be work - i teach manual arts which is in great shortage - but do i just take someones word on this or should i take something guaranteed? My concern is if i take something somewhere i dont know i'll hate it and then i will be stuck there!

Do you know about how you transfer out of a place one you've served your contract?
It will be harder to find work in Brisbane, especially at a good school, but i would persevere. You could always do casual teaching for a while until a "proper" job comes up.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who accepts a rural placement for a year or so will generally get a great placement after. I know a couple of young, not long graduated, who have been placed in Longreach and somewhere close(ish) to Mount Isa. They know when their two years are up they will probably get the pick of the bunch. They are both having a ball and have been totally drawn in to the community in the towns.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:14 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Anyone who accepts a rural placement for a year or so will generally get a great placement after. I know a couple of young, not long graduated, who have been placed in Longreach and somewhere close(ish) to Mount Isa. They know when their two years are up they will probably get the pick of the bunch. They are both having a ball and have been totally drawn in to the community in the towns.
That's always been the " transfer procedure" for teachers. Had a schoolmate who trained to become a teacher, and elected to get that phase out of the way straight away after graduating, rather than leave it for later.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Does anybody know whther or not the private sytem is a better route to go would they support you through the migration process - for example if my 175 visa doesnt come through before my working holiday visa runs out and i need a 457 long stay business visa putting in place - would the private school be up for helping with this - anybody got any experiences to share?

My thoughts were that the state system would be more likely to support you as they are part of the governement already??
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware that you can only work for 6 months (max) for any one employer on a WHV?

Unfortunately not even the QLD Department of Education can bypass that little restriction. Are they aware that you will only have a WHV to begin with?

So your plan will only work if the 175 comes through within that 6 month period. Can you be sure that it will?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Hi Nicky, I am aware of this but as i previously mentioned it is possible to convert the WHV into a 457 long stay visa if you want to continue with the same employer for over 6months. The DETA are aware of this - I have been completely upfront and it was them that suggested the 'conversion' to the 457, basically you go into a school on a temporary contract - the post may have a permanent vacancy to fill but they maybe experiencing difficultly filling it so put it up for temporary- you work there and a few months in apply for this 457 but it is not the school who do this it is the DETA, they countersign the forms and pay the fee.

Hope this clarifies!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicky, I am aware of this but as i previously mentioned it is possible to convert the WHV into a 457 long stay visa if you want to continue with the same employer for over 6months. The DETA are aware of this - I have been completely upfront and it was them that suggested the 'conversion' to the 457, basically you go into a school on a temporary contract - the post may have a permanent vacancy to fill but they maybe experiencing difficultly filling it so put it up for temporary- you work there and a few months in apply for this 457 but it is not the school who do this it is the DETA, they countersign the forms and pay the fee.

Hope this clarifies!
Sounds like you've got all bases covered, then. If the QLD Department are OK with the plan then that's fantastic.

Can't help with anything else - but if you have an option of Mackay or Roma -take Mackay.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

on a different note - whats mackay like as a place? is there enough there to keep a city girl occupied - or will i be bored LOL, i know i like brisbane how would you say brisbane compares to mackay?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

on a different note - whats mackay like as a place? is there enough there to keep a city girl occupied - or will i be bored LOL, i know i like brisbane how would you say brisbane compares to mackay?
There are mixed reviews on Mackay. I've only ever spend a day there so can't comment on what it's like to live there. I do know it's one of the fastest growing towns in Australia. Do a search on it here - there was a thread fairly recently on the pros and cons of Mackay.

Where Mackay would win over Roma is its location. You've got beaches, the Whitsundays and the reef all within easy reach. Roma might be a bit closer to Brisbane but its only really famous for cattle (and oil and gas exploration).
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd also be closer to Framac. That can't be sneezed at