Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on UK Savings while in Australia.

Old May 14th 2009, 9:48 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Tax on UK Savings while in Australia.

Good Morning all,

I have a question relating to the above title, as I see it there are three scenarios;

1. Put your savings offshore, and pay tax on interest to the ATO, as you are a permanent resident.

2. Leave you savings in the UK, DO NOT submit a Form R85, so you receive your interest after savings tax. So you can claim back you full tax free allowance in the UK while living in Australia. This is;
Personal allowance = £6,475
Starting rate for savings: 10%* £0-£2,440
So roughly £1539

So you have paid some tax to the HMRC now, and any remainder you owe to the ATO due to the non double taxation agreement, you will settle up in your Australian tax return as an Australian permanent resident.

3. Leave you savings in the UK, DO submit a Form R85, so you receive your interest before savings tax in the UK. Any tax you owe to the ATO in Australia, you will settle up in your Australian tax return as you have NOT paid any tax to HMRC.

Regarding point 3, just to clarify, you will not be entitled to your personal allowance in the UK, as you have not paid any tax to HMRC, as you receive your interest gross due to submitting a R85 form. This is correct is it not?

I am asking the question as if your sole and only income is from savings interest, then you have to work out which one either the ATO or HMRC are most lenient on taxing savings interest only income? Due to taxation limits in either country you could be better off with one of the above scenarios?

Sooty

P.S.

Had a think, at the end of the day the same amount of tax has to be paid to the ATO, so the interest you recieve after tax on points 2 and 3 will be the same? The offshore point 1 pays lower interest and is not so secure? So i guess the best option is point 3?

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; May 14th 2009 at 10:47 am.