Reload this Page >

Tax System / Tax Treaty With US

Tax System / Tax Treaty With US

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:08 am
Banned

Newbie_Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tax System / Tax Treaty With US

Hi,

I am Australian on E-3 visa working in USA.I am paying Federal tax, State tax, Social Security and Medicare in USA.Can I claim family tax benefit from centrelink in Australia?

As a citizen do I have to inform tax office(ATO) that I am now working in US?

How does Social Security and Medicare in US compared to Australian tax system?I used to pay Medicare levy in Australia but I had 4 dependants therefore I have been getting some exemptions.

Thanks,
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax System / Tax Treaty With US

Originally Posted by Newbie_Aussie
Can I claim family tax benefit from centrelink in Australia?

You cannot receive Family Tax Benefit if you leave Australia permanently.

If you leave temporarily:

Family Tax Benefit (A) is restricted to the base rate (2008 = $48.30)when you and/or your child(ren) are temporarily outside Australia for more than 13 weeks.
Family Tax Benefit (A) base rate payments are cancelled after a three year period and can only restart when you have returned to Australia and lodged a new Family Tax Benefit claim.
Family Tax Benefit (B) ceases after 13 weeks of temporary absence.
You would need to complete 13 weeks in Australia before being eligible for payment during further temporary absences from Australia
Child Benefits / Family Tax Benefit

As you are working in USA, you MAY be classed as having left permanently, as you may be entitled to the equivalent benefit in US.

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:45 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax System / Tax Treaty With US

Originally Posted by Newbie_Aussie
Hi,

I am Australian on E-3 visa working in USA.I am paying Federal tax, State tax, Social Security and Medicare in USA.Can I claim family tax benefit from centrelink in Australia?

As a citizen do I have to inform tax office(ATO) that I am now working in US?

How does Social Security and Medicare in US compared to Australian tax system?I used to pay Medicare levy in Australia but I had 4 dependants therefore I have been getting some exemptions.

Thanks,
When in doubt contact the Australian Tax Office and Centrelink for the correct information. I am sure the Australian Embassy can help you as well.