TAX MAN!!!

Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default TAX MAN!!!

Ok did a search on this but couldn't find anything similar to what i am looking for...........

Have to say I am quite bemused to the way the nice tax man over here likes to takes away (our money) but back to us yearly.....
As most of us know Mr Uk Tax Man he no say yes

But I am very unsure as to what i can claim for....
So my question is does anyone know if there is an idiots guide to explain what i can claim for PRETTY PLEASE.

I work for a non profit organisation as a community care worker and have been told i can claim for everything to do with my car
My son is 15 and i have been told i can claim for internet, computers blah blah blah for him,
but i just want something i can read that is simples
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:15 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TAX MAN!!!

http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au/

This allows you to claim back 50% of internet and most computer stuff up to a certain amount per year per kid.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:45 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pink13
Ok did a search on this but couldn't find anything similar to what i am looking for...........

Have to say I am quite bemused to the way the nice tax man over here likes to takes away (our money) but back to us yearly.....
As most of us know Mr Uk Tax Man he no say yes

But I am very unsure as to what i can claim for....
So my question is does anyone know if there is an idiots guide to explain what i can claim for PRETTY PLEASE.

I work for a non profit organisation as a community care worker and have been told i can claim for everything to do with my car
My son is 15 and i have been told i can claim for internet, computers blah blah blah for him,
but i just want something i can read that is simples
Someone more knowledgeable may correct me, but I believe at this time of year you cannot submit a tax return personally - it has to go through a tax agent. Its a very odd time of year to be doing your tax returm. If you are late for 2010, check as I think you;ll have to use and agent who will claim everything for you.
Re working for not for profit this is great if your employer offers salary packaging. My OH was a support worker and she used to sacrifice all her salary, then get it all back tax free! Good system! This though is arranged through your employer, not the ATO (a similar system but less beneficial exists for those in the healthcare service I believe)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Someone more knowledgeable may correct me, but I believe at this time of year you cannot submit a tax return personally - it has to go through a tax agent. Its a very odd time of year to be doing your tax returm. If you are late for 2010, check as I think you;ll have to use and agent who will claim everything for you.
Re working for not for profit this is great if your employer offers salary packaging. My OH was a support worker and she used to sacrifice all her salary, then get it all back tax free! Good system! This though is arranged through your employer, not the ATO (a similar system but less beneficial exists for those in the healthcare service I believe)
Hi cheers for that,
not submitting my tax return yet just new to Australia so trying to get my head around things before they come punch me on the nose,
so an agent is the way to go i suppose, and if my visa agent is anything to go buy they won't come cheap
My hubby is also a S.W and he has mentioned the S.S just haven't got round to looking into it
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:34 am
ABCDiamond

Hi cheers for that,
not submitting my tax return yet just new to Australia so trying to get my head around things before they come punch me on the nose,
so an agent is the way to go i suppose, and if my visa agent is anything to go buy they won't come cheap
My hubby is also a S.W and he has mentioned the S.S just haven't got round to looking into it
Some Tax agents charge about $75 for a simple return, in theory yours should be a simple one, but with the things you can claim for, it may take a bit longer. Maybe $150-$200.

After the first year, it is often quite simple to basically copy what they did the previous year, and Do It Yourself.

Make sure you do your tax retuns before the end of each October, or get registered with a tax agent before the end of each October, or you are up for late lodgement penalties.

Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I believe at this time of year you cannot submit a tax return personally - it has to go through a tax agent.
People can submit tax returns themselves after the cut of date, but may incur a late lodgement penalty.
Even late lodging via a tax agent will still incur the same penalty, UNLESS you were registered with the agent prior to cut off, AND they lodge your return within their lodgement schedule, agreed with the ATO.

Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:32 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cheers for that,
:

The cost of preparing your tax return, including the use of an agent, is tax deductable

Would suggest you use an agent but there is a Tax for Australians for Dummies book if you fancy DIY

Scotty
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some Tax agents charge about $75 for a simple return, in theory yours should be a simple one, but with the things you can claim for, it may take a bit longer. Maybe $150-$200.

After the first year, it is often quite simple to basically copy what they did the previous year, and Do It Yourself.

Make sure you do your tax retuns before the end of each October, or get registered with a tax agent before the end of each October, or you are up for late lodgement penalties.
so should have lodged my tax return in October 2010??!!! because if i should have then i am 3 months late
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

so should have lodged my tax return in October 2010??!!! because if i should have then i am 3 months late
Were you here before the end of June 2010?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:55 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

My advise.... fill one in..... go see a tax accountant.

I did mine on line for two years, got back around $2000 each time and thought "that was good".
Next year forgot/could be bothered/will get around to it (never fill in a tax return)........ when I eventually did do one, found out the previous year I had ticked a wrong box (my mistake) and claimed too much.

The year just gone, I had earned too much to claim family tax benefit Part A, therefore could not have the education tax allowance which I had planned to claim.
The result we and also had to pay back to he tax man around $5000.00 which was the incorrect claim from 08/09 the child allowance received 09/10.

I went to a tax accountant and had it all checked.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Were you here before the end of June 2010?
nope moved over in August 2010 started work October 2010 x
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:10 am
Account Closed

nope moved over in August 2010 started work October 2010 x
So October 2011 will be the end date for your first return. I would recommend downloading e-tax from the ATO website sometime in July or August and have a look to see if you can do it yourself. If you find it difficult then I would try a tax accountant. Personally, my experience of tax accountants is that they are pretty ordinary at doing their job and are best avoided if you can.

On the late filing point the ATO usually give you some leeway. I filed at the end of May one year (because the accountant fugged up) and they just sent me a letter saying naughty don't do it again. I was prepared to argue the point but there was no need.