Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ceiling fans - do they really cut your bills?

Ceiling fans - do they really cut your bills?

Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ceiling fans - do they really cut your bills?

Beacon Lighting has a sale on ceiling fans. They claim that they cut your cooling bills and, when used in reverse, cut your heating bills.

Anyone any experience of this? Any views as to payback times for cost of fans?

TIA.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ceiling fans - do they really cut your bills?

Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Beacon Lighting has a sale on ceiling fans. They claim that they cut your cooling bills and, when used in reverse, cut your heating bills.

TIA.
Not sure about your bills but they can cut your hands if you get them caught in them
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

TIA.
Well hot air rises so I would say that that they would have an effect. Whether they would pay you back remains to be seen.

Check this out from the web http://www.residential-landscape-lig...iling_fans.htm
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

TIA.
We have experienced this. We don't have ceiling fans where we live now, as we were quoted ridiculous prices to have them fitted about 4 years ago. Mind you, that was during the building boom, so things might have changed now. Check that the prices you were quoted includes installation by an electrician, or get a quote yourselves. In the meantime, we bought pedestal fans and only use them on hot nights. We used them once during the day recently, when it was very humid (for Perth).
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:20 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking to install them throughout, Fo3 - I hate aircon, it's expensive to run and gives me sinus problems. We relied heavily on fans in Singapore.

I think Beacon are way overpriced though, even with their offers, so am looking around.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:01 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
We're looking to install them throughout, Fo3 - I hate aircon, it's expensive to run and gives me sinus problems. We relied heavily on fans in Singapore.

I think Beacon are way overpriced though, even with their offers, so am looking around.
Beacon are double expensive and double rubbish

I bought some from lightingillusion on ebay - they are actually a brick+mortar chain but with an ebay outlet - the stuff was fantastic. Great follow up and great service. Got remote control ones for about 200$ with lights each. There are cheap fans in bunnings, but they are er..cheap. Weve had them in for 6mths and they are very good. Edit : Their ebay store is lighting illuisions online

Got them fitted by an electricist for 50$ each replacing existing light socket

Highly recomend them - one teeny part was missing and they couriered it to me within 24hrs. no quibbles.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

TIA.
We don't have air-con so they add to our bills ... and they are worth every cent ...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider

I shall leave it to your comprehensive research then - send me a copy of the spreadsheet!

I don't really want to put hand-helds everywhere as I don't like the aesthetics of most of them.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Engage an electrician and then often they will send you down to their favourite store to buy the fan of your choice at trade prices - just talk to barbara.

And yes, ceiling fans are great. Avoid drying you out when sleeping from aircon, lower elec bills.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:48 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

TIA.
Don't know about cutting your bills but I couldn't live without mine, I hate aircon and hardly ever use it even in the car. I like to put the fan on the helicopter speed at night in the summer.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Don't know about cutting your bills but I couldn't live without mine, I hate aircon and hardly ever use it even in the car. I like to put the fan on the helicopter speed at night in the summer.
I found that sleeping under a ceiling fan takes a bit of getting used to at first, I used to lay there waiting for the thing to suddenly take off and fly around the room or drop onto the bed.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We have one of those gadget things that tells you how many units of power you're using and how much it costs per hour etc. The airconditioner costs about 90c per hour and a ceiling fan about 2c per hour.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

My Grandmother used to plug an electrical appliance into every socket in the house to stop the electricity leaking out... saved herself a FORTUNE over the years...
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

They only use a few dozen watts rather than the thousands of watts that A/C uses. But of course they don't change the relative humidity, so if it's sticky heat they won't dry out the air.

In winter, when the expensively heated air rises to keep the ceiling warm you put them in reverse so that they suck the air up, it flows along the ceiling and down the walls to mix the warm and cooler air up.

Dead easy to fit if the ceiling already has light sockets.

Beware that the cheaper fans make quite a lot of 50 cycle hum which some find irritating - make sure you get quiet ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.