Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax implications - Wife not working

Tax implications - Wife not working

Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tax implications - Wife not working

Just wondering what our situation will be. I am a house wife so there will be only one working in the family. What are the tax advantages of this? We also have one dependent.

Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:20 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax implications - Wife not working

Originally Posted by Mairead
Just wondering what our situation will be. I am a house wife so there will be only one working in the family. What are the tax advantages of this? We also have one dependent.

Thanks
Your husband will be able to claim that you are dependant on him in his tax return next year. Mrs M didn't work during some of the last tax year and I claimed on my return - turned out to be a nice little rebate
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Your husband will be able to claim that you are dependant on him in his tax return next year. Mrs M didn't work during some of the last tax year and I claimed on my return - turned out to be a nice little rebate
Is that what they call the house keepers allowance?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

And make sure that any savings you have are in your name only. Then any interest earned doesn't have to be split between the two of you. You're unlikely to have to pay any tax on it since it will be your only income - so tax-free interest!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The big tax advantage of a non-working spouse is to put your savings in their name so you can use their tax allowance. If they've no other income then you can earn up to $11k with no tax.

With a non working spouse you dont get hit for the 1% extra medicare levy if the family earnings are below $100k (plus $1k per kid).

I think you can get some super benefit. This may have changed since last year's rule changes but I haven't heard anything. See http://www.apesma.asn.au/newsviews/p...ouse_super.htm
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Great information. Thanks Guys.

Interesting about the savings!!!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

On a related question Say if my spouse was getting 80k per year is there anyway of working out net monthly income. Is there a tool on the net for working this out to inc. tax relief for spouse not working. We will be going down on a 175 PR visa.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:55 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

On a related question Say if my spouse was getting 80k per year is there anyway of working out net monthly income. Is there a tool on the net for working this out to inc. tax relief for spouse not working. We will be going down on a 175 PR visa.
There are some tax calculators on www.ato.gov.au but I'm not sure they are that specific.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:08 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: Tax implications - Wife not working

Some great tips guys,

thx,

Karma sent...
</IMG>
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...02&postcount=3
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Kind of similar question. My OH employs me as his book-keeper,(advise from the account to keep tax down) but I have found a proper job part time but does anybody know off hand if this will increase my tax output Left a message with the accountant but no response yet
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:12 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Red face Re: Tax implications - Wife not working

Originally Posted by linloo
Kind of similar question. My OH employs me as his book-keeper,(advise from the account to keep tax down) but I have found a proper job part time but does anybody know off hand if this will increase my tax output Left a message with the accountant but no response yet
Sorry, I don't know the answer to this. I'm sure it depends on salaries earned and other income etc'.

But could you let us know what you accountant says, I think that would be interesting.

thx.