Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax file number...yes again

Tax file number...yes again

Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice
Default Tax file number...yes again

Hi guys,

well we're finally here and I'm sure the jet lag has sucked all the information gleaned over the years straight outta my head. How the flippin' heck do I get a tax file number then? Not to mention Medicare and child benefit forms/info? Yes I've searched this forum, and my 'extensive' PC files AND the Queensland gov't website, all to no avail. Even went into the Post Office but even they weren't sure.

Help. Have set up bank account and start work next Thursday so need to sort this quick.

TIA

Andy
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax file number...yes again

Hi Andy

Welcome to Australia

Tax file number can be done online here

Medicare, you usually need to wait about a week before you register there as it takes a few days for Immigration to let then know you've arrived. I'm sure someone who's near you can let you know the address of your local office for that. Same with Centerlink.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:36 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Hi guys,

well we're finally here and I'm sure the jet lag has sucked all the information gleaned over the years straight outta my head. How the flippin' heck do I get a tax file number then? Not to mention Medicare and child benefit forms/info? Yes I've searched this forum, and my 'extensive' PC files AND the Queensland gov't website, all to no avail. Even went into the Post Office but even they weren't sure.

Help. Have set up bank account and start work next Thursday so need to sort this quick.

TIA

Andy
Well for starters the Post Office don't deal with any of them,they only take payments. TFN you'll need to contact the Australian Tax Office, Medicare- Medicare office, Child benefits try Centrelink etc or use their websites. Not having them before you start work is not the be all or end all. You can get them done anytime. yes even the TFN. Not having one does not mean you can't work and get paid. You just pay withholding tax, which you'll get back after June next year.
As for the Qld gov't website ,none of these are state agencies.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Andy

Welcome to Australia

Tax file number can be done online here

Medicare, you usually need to wait about a week before you register there as it takes a few days for Immigration to let then know you've arrived. I'm sure someone who's near you can let you know the address of your local office for that. Same with Centerlink.
Wendy you are an absolute diamond. I searched that bloomin' site I swear!!!

Thanks again. Just off out for some grub fighting the urge to go to sleep. We'll be alright in a day or so.

Andy
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy you are an absolute diamond. I searched that bloomin' site I swear!!!

Thanks again. Just off out for some grub fighting the urge to go to sleep. We'll be alright in a day or so.

Andy

Get some sleep mate, the rest can wait a while (except for eating that is ).

Congratulations on the job.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:49 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Hi guys,

TIA

Andy
Wendy has sorted your query already but you need to sort your location out! You're nowhere 'near Heathrow'!! Welcome to Australia!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Wendy has sorted your query already but you need to sort your location out! You're nowhere 'near Heathrow'!! Welcome to Australia!
Oh yeah! Least of my worries. I'll do it in the morning. Cheers all and nite nite.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Well done mate, didnt think you were off till after Xmas,
Good luck, keep us informed.

Mick
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Well done mate, didnt think you were off till after Xmas,
Good luck, keep us informed.

Mick
Change of plan, obviously. Decided we could wait forever for the right time to go. Here now and loving it. Every Aussie we've met so far has been really friendly and helpful. Hired a huuuuuge holden Commodore at the airport. Yes it's black and yes it looks like a hearse but it was big enough for all our suitcases, has aircon and cruise control and is a dream to drive. Was a typical 'Andy' arrival. Seat-of-your-pants-style!! Booked nothing before we got here. ust turned up with big arse grin and visa

Managed to hire last 1 of 2 cars left from only hire firm that had any left! Drove north out of the airport using the sun and the hairs on the back of my arm for navigation and finally arrived in Aspley. It's lovely here and the roads are great, well signposted and the Aussie drivers are reasonably considerate.

Managed to get the last unit on the Big4 caravan park and are looking at the last rental in the area with a pool in a few hours time. Hey, who needs planning? There's an old saying, KISS...keep it simple stupid.

Will get some pix together and stick 'em up soonish.

Sorted TFN online...painless; and am currently listening to the Wigan Arsenal game online on the caravan parks wifi connection. Oh, and the sun is shining!

Andy Wendy & Vanessa
Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:38 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I had the problem that we were sent our tax file numbers (I've had mine for years as an Aussie citizen and he had one from 99 when he was here on a work visa) anyway they had us both as 'non residents for tax purposes' which incensed me!

I phoned them up and they made me do a quiz online which had both me and the OH as residents - him because he has migrated here permanantly and me bacause I am a returning Aussie citizen and am on an Aussie passport.

They have updated their systems for me but for the OH we have to send them a certified copy of his passport, visa and date entry stamp.

I am asking for written confirmation for both of us that we are now residents for tax purposes!

Oooh and medicare - dead easy for him but for me was very long winded as I had to prove that I was here to stay!

Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Change of plan, obviously. Decided we could wait forever for the right time to go. Here now and loving it. Every Aussie we've met so far has been really friendly and helpful. Hired a huuuuuge holden Commodore at the airport. Yes it's black and yes it looks like a hearse but it was big enough for all our suitcases, has aircon and cruise control and is a dream to drive. Was a typical 'Andy' arrival. Seat-of-your-pants-style!! Booked nothing before we got here. ust turned up with big arse grin and visa

Managed to hire last 1 of 2 cars left from only hire firm that had any left! Drove north out of the airport using the sun and the hairs on the back of my arm for navigation and finally arrived in Aspley. It's lovely here and the roads are great, well signposted and the Aussie drivers are reasonably considerate.

Managed to get the last unit on the Big4 caravan park and are looking at the last rental in the area with a pool in a few hours time. Hey, who needs planning? There's an old saying, KISS...keep it simple stupid.

Will get some pix together and stick 'em up soonish.

Sorted TFN online...painless; and am currently listening to the Wigan Arsenal game online on the caravan parks wifi connection. Oh, and the sun is shining!

Andy Wendy & Vanessa
AM I JEALOUS !!!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

AM I JEALOUS !!!!!!
You'll get over it

Get you arse over here fella. It's great.

Andy
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Going to perth to validate on the 5th of Jan, is that far from you
Soon as we sell the house we`re there but still a feew months off.
You know that all the guys, or most of them, who went to the meets are
over with you as well, you should arrange a meet up ie katenderek etc.

I have to say mate, I admire the way you have done and take my hat off to you, I mean who sells the house, has a leaving party before theyve even got the visa, way to go.

Now get off the internet and go have some fun, keep us posted

Mick

PS Hows the missus n nipper?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

I have to say mate, I admire the way you have done and take my hat off to you, I mean who sells the house, has a leaving party before theyve even got the visa, way to go.

Mick

way ahead of you mick. we pm'd him a few times and are meeting up soon when they are sorted.

we meet kelly all the time. got pissed with her last night and may meet again tonight.

spoke to the chief a couple of times and will meet up soon.

life is just one long social whirlwind.

hope you, claire and the boys are well

derek

as you know perth is just around the corner. give me a call when you land and we'll make our way to the bus stop.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mick

I would SERIOUSLY advise at least booking a car and maybe some sort of accommodation BEFORE you get here tho. 'Fun' tho it was, in this kind of heat it can be a 'little' trying. We were lucky, but having said that I would probably do it all the same way again

Have been in contact with Kate & Derek and Kelly J. Rossifumi and several others are very close too but the days are going nowhere at the moment. So much to do and sort out. Not that we have been killing ourselves to get it all done at once mind you. Went up to the Sunshine coast on Wednesday and had a few hours at the beach. Got my first speeding fine on the way too. $150 flippin' dollars!! Enrolled Vanessa into Albany Creek primary yesterday and went furniture hunting/pricing today. Gonna go car hunting tomorrow...in the rain by the looks of things

Vanessa really looking forward to going to school and making friends and Wendy is looking forward to setting up our new home...albeit a temporary one for now. Despite all the posts on here in recent times we have found prices EXTREMELY favourable. Sure, some things are a bit dearer but in general mainly cheaper I'd say. We've found the choice and quality of food far better, the service and damn site friendlier, hell, someone even thanked me for shopping at their shop yesterday.

And yes bananas and lettuce are way too expensive but have you seen the size of the lettuces????

Andy