tax file number

Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:55 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default tax file number

hi guys

was wondering if you could help me

do you have to wait until your in oz to get a tax file number or can you apply from the uk using a friends oz address?

thanks in advance

jan xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax file number

Originally Posted by robos
hi guys

was wondering if you could help me

do you have to wait until your in oz to get a tax file number or can you apply from the uk using a friends oz address?

thanks in advance

jan xx
Here to help
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:54 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
thanks but
doesnt answer my question of can we apply before we go

or have i read it wrong?

jan xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

thanks but

or have i read it wrong?

jan xx
Aye, some folk (not me) get upset when there are multiple threads on the same subject matter!

To answer your question, I think it's better to apply for it before you go. When I was in Sydney last November I went into the Tax Office and completed the paperwork. I used my mate's address in Clovelly as 'my' Oz address. I did ask about that at the time and the Tax lady said it wasn't a problem as long as I contacted them to update the info once I moved to Oz.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

yep my oh got his a few weeks ago, we got it sent to my uncles address gonna get mine soon.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

thanks but

or have i read it wrong?

jan xx
You won't be able to get your TFN until you have arrived in the country on your visa for the first time. Once you've entered aus, you can apply for the TFN at the ATO's website.

One thing to be careful of is that when you fill out your immigration cards that your names are spelt exactly the same as they are on your visa (even first name) otherwise ATO won't think that you've entered the country.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

When you apply for a TFN you get them within a week anyway so its no drama waiting til you get here.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Cant rain all the time is an unknown quantity at this point

Applied online once arrived in OZ and it came through the post 4 days later. Do it when you arrive.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:35 am
AJG
Just Joined

AJG is an unknown quantity at this point

And you have 28 days to provide a TFN if you start work so it really doesnt matter if you do it when you get here.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:08 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
When you apply for a TFN you get them within a week anyway so its no drama waiting til you get here.
Lucky Bst it can however take up too 30 days, so luck of the draw. If you get it within a week good for you, but dont plan your initial weeks on it is all I would say.

[QUOTE=lonndongeek;5842526]You won't be able to get your TFN until you have arrived in the country on your visa for the first time. Once you've entered aus, you can apply for the TFN at the ATO's website.

One thing to be careful of is that when you fill out your immigration cards that your names are spelt exactly the same as they are on your visa (even first name) otherwise ATO won't think that you've entered the country.

Cheers

Steve[/QUOTE

I think (and i could be wrong here as it was close to 2 years ago) that you need to enter the flight you came in on.

Remember the date you arrive and become tax resident has a bearing on your honeymoon period for such things as bringing sale of house proceeds over and your pension. Just got my bill this week and is over $20K
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Lucky Bst it can however take up too 30 days, so luck of the draw. If you get it within a week good for you, but dont plan your initial weeks on it is all I would say.

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
You won't be able to get your TFN until you have arrived in the country on your visa for the first time. Once you've entered aus, you can apply for the TFN at the ATO's website.

Cheers

Steve
I think (and i could be wrong here as it was close to 2 years ago) that you need to enter the flight you came in on.

Remember the date you arrive and become tax resident has a bearing on your honeymoon period for such things as bringing sale of house proceeds over and your pension. Just got my bill this week and is over $20K
I just needed to provide my name, address, date of birth, nationality and passport number.

For a couple of weeks after I arrived, the ATO website was saying that I hadn't arrived in the country. I was tempted to go to the ATO office in Adelaide to prove them wrong, but called DIAC and was told that as I'd entered Steve and not Stephen on my landing card that a separate entry record had been created.

Evidently it's too much hassle for DIAC to track people based on a combination of passport issuing country and passport number...

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

I just needed to provide my name, address, date of birth, nationality and passport number.

For a couple of weeks after I arrived, the ATO website was saying that I hadn't arrived in the country. I was tempted to go to the ATO office in Adelaide to prove them wrong, but called DIAC and was told that as I'd entered Steve and not Stephen on my landing card that a separate entry record had been created.

Evidently it's too much hassle for DIAC to track people based on a combination of passport issuing country and passport number...

Cheers

Steve
Hi
can you put a work address as address if you havn't found a rentl and are staying in temp holiday accommodation?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Hi
can you put a work address as address if you havn't found a rentl and are staying in temp holiday accommodation?
You can put in any address you want. From memory I think I put our PO Box address in. They'll send the TFN to whatever address you give them, but you can call them after a week or two and they'll give it to you over the phone.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

You can put in any address you want. From memory I think I put our PO Box address in. They'll send the TFN to whatever address you give them, but you can call them after a week or two and they'll give it to you over the phone.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:21 pm
one day rodders !!!

thank you all for the replies

jan xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.