Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax etc when Freelancing....??

Tax etc when Freelancing....??

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tax etc when Freelancing....??

Hi,

This is for Pascal...

Situation:
We're moving to Perth on July 15th.

Pascal doesn't have a job yet, and his boss here would like him to keep working(part-time) on building websites, seeing at present he's the only one who can at his work, and they like him a lot etc.
Don't know how long this'll be for. Probably untill he finds himself a new job.

So, the situation would then be, I guess, that Pascal will be doing Freelance sort of work for an employer in The Netherlands.

So, what does this mean??????
What do we have to organise, tax wise etc etc. What is the best way of organising this?
I guess Pascal would have to register himself as a business in Australia?
Anybody know any relevant websites?

Thanks in advance!
We suck at this kind of stuff....
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax etc when Freelancing....??

Bump

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:32 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Simone,

Ask this question of my Aussie Chartered Accountant colleague John Griffiths via john - at - gmga - dot - com - dot - au, or enter your details at www.gmga.com.au

Best regards.

Originally posted by Simone
Hi,

This is for Pascal...

Situation:

Pascal doesn't have a job yet, and his boss here would like him to keep working(part-time) on building websites, seeing at present he's the only one who can at his work, and they like him a lot etc.

So, the situation would then be, I guess, that Pascal will be doing Freelance sort of work for an employer in The Netherlands.

What do we have to organise, tax wise etc etc. What is the best way of organising this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:38 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Simone,

Ask this question of my Aussie Chartered Accountant colleague John Griffiths via john - at - gmga - dot - com - dot - au, or enter your details at www.gmga.com.au

Best regards.
Thanks Alan
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:47 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Simone
Hi,

This is for Pascal...

Situation:

Thanks in advance!
This is what I do Simone, except I'm working for UK companies.

You don't have to be a company, he can work as self-employed if he wants, it all really comes down to which vehicle is going to be best for him. A Pty (company) does cost approx $1K to get setup.

There's other things that he has to be aware of such as personal services income (same as IR35 in the UK) which may also come into play.

Best place to look to give you some information is www.business.gov.au you will find lots of useful stuff here.

From a payment perspective, I have one bank account in Australia that has dollar account and a sterling account. I invoice my clients in sterling (as that is what they prefered) and this gets paid directly into my sterling account here in Australia. I then transfer this over to the dollar account when the rate is looking good.

Filing BAS and ISA with the ATO is easy. They have a new portal site that you can log in to and fill in all the forms online and make the payment direct. It's very quick and easy. Checkout www.ato.gov.au for more info on the tax side of things.

I do advise speaking to an accountant to sort out the best way in moving forward. If you want I can give you the details of the one I use; I've found them to be very good and they have helped me immensely. PM me if you want the details.

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by owieb

I do advise speaking to an accountant to sort out the best way in moving forward. If you want I can give you the details of the one I use; I've found them to be very good and they have helped me immensely. PM me if you want the details.
Hi,

This will be my situation in January also. Can you tell me whether you also have to pay tax in the UK?

I shall be developing websites for existing customers which I have now - currently I am just operating as a sole trader here in the UK. I will additionally be selling software, and I am concerned that the UK and OZ tax offices are both gonna want their shares.

Dave
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:42 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by owieb
This is what I do Simone, except I'm working for UK companies.

You don't have to be a company, he can work as self-employed if he wants, it all really comes down to which vehicle is going to be best for him. A Pty (company) does cost approx $1K to get setup.

There's other things that he has to be aware of such as personal services income (same as IR35 in the UK) which may also come into play.

Best place to look to give you some information is www.business.gov.au you will find lots of useful stuff here.

From a payment perspective, I have one bank account in Australia that has dollar account and a sterling account. I invoice my clients in sterling (as that is what they prefered) and this gets paid directly into my sterling account here in Australia. I then transfer this over to the dollar account when the rate is looking good.

Filing BAS and ISA with the ATO is easy. They have a new portal site that you can log in to and fill in all the forms online and make the payment direct. It's very quick and easy. Checkout www.ato.gov.au for more info on the tax side of things.

Thanks! Will have a look tonight!
No, don't think a company is necessary!

We're keeping an internet account here in Holland for a while, so that's sorted.
Now for the rest!
I'll pm you
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:54 pm
owieb

Originally posted by darkless
Hi,

This will be my situation in January also. Can you tell me whether you also have to pay tax in the UK?

I shall be developing websites for existing customers which I have now - currently I am just operating as a sole trader here in the UK. I will additionally be selling software, and I am concerned that the UK and OZ tax offices are both gonna want their shares.

Dave
I just pay tax in Australia. I'm not really knowledgable enough on the ins and outs of tax between the two countries to give you proper advice.

Best to look up some accountants in the area you are thinking of going to and see what they have to say. I know Alan Collett has a sister company that deals with this kind of thing and he has already posted a link to another company that may be able to give you some advice.

But it's certainly worth doing some research into it, even if it costs a few hundred dollars to get some advice as it will certainly save you in the long run.