Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax chief defends office over fraud

Tax chief defends office over fraud

Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:21 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax chief defends office over fraud

If you cannot beat them join them , whos got the best tax avoidance idea for this tax year I will judge all on merit and dollars saved .
You may need to go some to beat the Pros.

The Tax Office has vigorously defended itself over claims that members of its staff worked with organised crime to run an identity fraud scam reaping millions of dollars.

ABC's 4 Corners alleged last night that Tax Office insiders used dormant tax file numbers to submit fictitious tax returns.

The program said Paul Wagstaff, from the Tax Office's big business unit, had run a scheme drafting bogus tax returns, using his inside knowledge to avoid raising the alarm.

http://theage.com.au/articles/2003/0...825334934.html

:scared:
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

On the question of tax returns that you have to do here.

What do most people do. Do you use an accountant or do it yourself. We have no funny stuff going on like shares etc so I thought I'd do it myself. Am I being a bit over optimistic here?

Diane
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:31 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ

What do most people do. Do you use an accountant or do it yourself. We have no funny stuff going on like shares etc so I thought I'd do it myself. Am I being a bit over optimistic here?

Diane
You can do it yourself but the fees of an accountant are tax deductable , you need to find out what you can claim and as a newcomer I would try an accountant.

Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

you should live here PB they are still trying to find out who nicked $100,000 and a big batch of hootch from the local cop shop.

You gotta laugh I mean how many people would have had access to the cop shop safe.

:scared:
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ

Diane
No If you think you are fairly plain sailing - there is some great stuff on the ATO website

http://www.ato.gov.au/content.asp?do...uals/31594.htm

We did our own last year on the web - have fun

Cheers Sandra