Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ: Fact finding

NZ: Fact finding

Old Jun 28th 2003, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ: Fact finding

What did people do on fact finding visits - is it better to treat it like a holiday and try to get a feel for the place or is it better to check out as much as possible.

These are things in particular that I think might be worth doing but wonder if it is overkill.

1) Look at houses (open day type arrangements)
2) Look at schools/nurseries
3) Arrange interviews with job agencies to see whether they think we are suitable candidates for employment.

Fact finding aside I have seen that you can swim with dolphins at various places around the coutry, is this a suitable actiivity in mid winter and it is suitable for young children.

Are there any other must do's (holiday or fact finding).

Regards
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

2 more as well.

. does NZ have laundrettes in the major cities
. can anyone recommend an ISP because I will need to run my online shop while I am over there.

Many thanks,
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:02 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by icklepickle
2 more as well.

. can anyone recommend an ISP because I will need to run my online shop while I am over there.

Many thanks,

iHug or iConz were the big ones when I was there...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:03 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by icklepickle
2 more as well.

Many thanks,
Yep, but you might have to travel a bit further.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:16 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by gOD
Yep, but you might have to travel a bit further.

Make sure you get a good idea about the prices as well of everything you will need over there. Sounds like a washing machine might be one. Personally, I would buy it over there and just take anything old or sentimental that you want to keep. In terms of TV's WM's etc, I wouldn't really bother.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: NZ: Fact finding

[QUOTE]Originally posted by icklepickle Hi - It's probably more practical to get a general idea on prices and availability of stuff, and maybe check out some different areas as houses and schools can all be looked at on line. we did find that all the schools we looked at once we moved here were very welcoming and the head more than happy to show us round.
If you are hoping to rent initaily a lot of houses have washing machine and other white goods included and if you're staying in a motel they also have their own washing facilities so you may not have to worry about a launderette !
We came on our fact finding mission in May and went swimming with the dolphins in Auckland - it was a very hot calm day, a fantastic experience you have to be able to confidently swim the length of the boat to be allowed in the water. It may be a bit cold in the winter but I beleive they provide you with a wet suit if its cold although I think there are more whales than dolphins around at this time of year
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by icklepickle
2 more as well.

Many thanks,
Slingshot are very good - $16.99 a month for unlimited use
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Chaps, most helpful.