Tax advice

Old May 20th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Tax advice

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything that relates to my particular circumstances.

I've been in Australia for just under 2 months now and am currently working from home for the company I worked for in the UK. They are still paying me into my UK bank and I am still getting taxed on that in the UK.

Does anyone know what my situation would be with regards to tax over here in Oz? I've tried looking through the government website but can find nothing covering this situation.

Many thanks
Old May 20th 2008, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax advice

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything that relates to my particular circumstances.

I've been in Australia for just under 2 months now and am currently working from home for the company I worked for in the UK. They are still paying me into my UK bank and I am still getting taxed on that in the UK.

Does anyone know what my situation would be with regards to tax over here in Oz? I've tried looking through the government website but can find nothing covering this situation.

Many thanks
You need to be looking here: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...p=001/002&cy=1

There is an agreement between the UK and Australia so that you won't have to pay tax twice - so you need to declare your earning in Aus which will give you a tax bill for the year, but you will be credited the amount you have paid in the UK and only have to pay the difference

I would suggest getting some expert tax advice.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks Wendy
Old May 21st 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Wendy is right, best go to a tax consultant to do this for you.

You wont be taxed twice, but make sure you take all pay slips with you to show what tax you have paid, as this will be entered into your tax return as a foreign tax credit.

Don't worry too much about it, it's almost the end of the financial year now anyway, so I'd wait til then and sort it all out at once,

Karen
Old May 21st 2008, 9:11 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

It depends on what kind of visa the poster is on. If a temporary visa then only income generated in OZ is taxable.

Definitely take professional advise but someone who knows both the OZ & UK tax systems or you may be paying tax which you don't need to.
Old May 21st 2008, 10:05 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The upshot of double taxation agreements is that you end up paying the higher of the 2 systems (although the money may be split between the 2 countries).

I believe that in your situation that you shouldn't be paying class 1 NI. That's something worth checking up on.