Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Kerry No need to give Andy any apologies - as you haven't said anything that we haven't heard or even said ourselves before!
I know it will be hard when we arrive - we're under no illusions there...and i will miss my friends/family - of course like anyone does...But all the things you've said were the reason we are still here in the UK, because i took my time last year/earlier this year to make the decision to do the actual move.
If i hadn't done that we would have been in Oz a long time ago Bad timing on my part there - but we weren't to anticipate what would happen in the world of finance!
But this move doesn't revolve around just me and what makes me happy - there is Andy and the kids happiness to consider as well, and if they're happy then i am too, and if i wasn't i wouldnt necessarily be in a rush to get back to the UK (because i think things would then not be the same (if you get what i mean?) - and partly because i would feel that i'd failed by doing so - and i dont like that feeling!
The option of staying here in the UK at the moment would then mean that my social life & money are deemed to be more important than Andy's own personal dreams and a different enviroment for the kids - which of course they aren't. I do have dreams about life in Oz myself - and having the time to pursue personal hobbies etc that have slipped to the wayside in our busy lives here. I know it takes time to make new friends etc and to establish a new way of life, but i am prepared to give that a go. Some friends are already planning when they'd come visit us & one friend will shortly be buying a holiday property near Sydney...so i would get to see familiar people whilst in those initial stages of settling into a new life i know. I also have a couple of friends in Tas that are not on British Expats that i know would be there if i needed them.
I have overcome personal problems over the years here in the UK - and i know i'm a very strong person when the going does get tough. It doesnt take me long to pick myself up, dust myself off and get on with things.
I guess we've let this credit crunch situation get into the way of our dreams really...which isn't hard when it's plastered all over the papers, on the TV and is all people talk about. But i do apologise most sincerely for sounding probably pathetic by going on about just the money side of things

I think i'm having one of those week's when i need to go to a hill somewhere - have a good scream - and then get back on with things!

Cathy
No worries Cathy, I didn't mean to offend in any way, but I just felt really concerned for you. Especially when you are always telling us about your fantastic social life you have, I just think OMG you are soooo gonna miss it when you get here. And knowing how I felt, thought that it's probably gonna be tougher for you when you arrive.

I know the money situation is pretty dire at the moment, and you won't have as much to spend on a property when you get here etc etc. But if it's yours and Andy's dream then just go for it, savings or no savings as long as he is guaranteed a job when he gets here you will be ok. Andy is a good guy and is like Duncan with the respect that he would do anything to earn a good crust, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there. I just hope you have better luck selling your home this time around so that you can get on with your plans of a new life.

Kerry
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:05 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she was - glad she is going to be ok.

I love the programme, but i think they didn't go about Monday's programme the right way for sellers! We're lucky in that prices need to drop a long way before we'd be in negative equity - but the problem we have is that if we did have to take £40,000-£50,000 less than our March 08 asking price that our options regarding buying in Oz are reduced....and extra money that i hoped to put aside for emergency flights back to the UK etc just wont be there once we do buy/get a mortgage etc! Andy is now worried that his Australian dream is going to slip through our fingers - but at the end of the day i guess it all comes down to money and how scared we are to make the move without the money we originally budgeted earlier this year....knowing that if we had to move back to the UK we wouldnt then have what we originally left behind! I'm sure there's many people in the same situation or even worse, but what should be an exciting time becomes more of a worry!
Oh mate house selling is a very stressful time at the best of times never mind during a recession, I really hope you get a buyer

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Trust me it's a worrying time, whether you have the savings or not. Just slightly less if you have the savings, but you still have that heavy weight on your shoulders wondering whether it's the right decision or not. In our case it was sink or swim, we had nothing to go back to, we aren't the richest peeps in the world. I personally think that you might have a tough time, missing all your friends and what not. I didn't have as good a social life back in Mk as you seem to have and I still missed my friends so bad that I cried for them. I can only imagine how you will feel if and when you do make it, so you have to prepare yourself for that. I know I sound a bit harsh, but it is the reality and how it really is when you get here. I wish I could say different and tell you that it's all fantastic and plane sailing all the way, but I'm not going to disillusion you, I really think you will find it hard. You must be prepared to feel like shit when you get here, because you will, but if you are really determined to make it work you will find a way to get passed the home sickness stage and make a new life for yourself. I'm so glad that we did, we are now living such a wonderful life with lots of new friends and are really happy. But what makes me happy may not necessarily make you happy.

Sorry for pouring my heart out and putting a damper on things but I think that you really need to be aware of what it's like when you get here, I'd hate for you to leave everything you know and love for something that deep down you don't really want. And please give Andy my humble apologies as I know he will hate me for writing this and putting doubts in your mind again.

Kerry
thats a very good and honest post Kerry which I think relates to the majority of people emigrating, it was exactly how I felt when we arrived. I am very lucky to be able to go back to the UK when I need to, I do know that, but on the other hand I wouldnt have come if I couldnt.

Guess what my dog found in our paddock today? ................... Only a bloody Blue Tongue Lizard! Double Bugger!! lol
they are really cute though arent they?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
Oh mate house selling is a very stressful time at the best of times never mind during a recession, I really hope you get a buyer

thats a very good and honest post Kerry which I think relates to the majority of people emigrating, it was exactly how I felt when we arrived. I am very lucky to be able to go back to the UK when I need to, I do know that, but on the other hand I wouldnt have come if I couldnt.

they are really cute though arent they?
What's the weather been like up your neck of the woods? We've had some serious rain the last couple of days, more than I think we'd had all winter!!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:20 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

What's the weather been like up your neck of the woods? We've had some serious rain the last couple of days, more than I think we'd had all winter!!
bloody hell, we've had some showers and strong winds but nothing really heavy, went on the golf day yesterday and it was overcast but warm, today has been very muggy and it didnt get any better after it rained!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

No worries Cathy, I didn't mean to offend in any way, but I just felt really concerned for you. Especially when you are always telling us about your fantastic social life you have, I just think OMG you are soooo gonna miss it when you get here. And knowing how I felt, thought that it's probably gonna be tougher for you when you arrive.

I know the money situation is pretty dire at the moment, and you won't have as much to spend on a property when you get here etc etc. But if it's yours and Andy's dream then just go for it, savings or no savings as long as he is guaranteed a job when he gets here you will be ok. Andy is a good guy and is like Duncan with the respect that he would do anything to earn a good crust, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there. I just hope you have better luck selling your home this time around so that you can get on with your plans of a new life.

Kerry
Hi Kerry, of course no offence taken You only voiced an opinion based on your own experience - which as you know all us wannabee movers always appreciate hearing anyway...
Feeling a bit more positive today - me & Andy were talking about this all last night and have decided we're still putting the house up for sale in Jan so we'll be continuing with the painting! We have a plan in mind that if we manage to secure a buyer - & the sale price is for a lot less than we anticipate (even after dropping considerably from our March 08 valuation), what we will then possibly do (depending on how we feel about things) is sell anyway & if need be move into rented accomodation here for just 6 months... During that 6 months we will then endeavour to recoup some of the lost money. With both of us still working & us not being extravagant with our spending like we tend to be now we should be able to claw back a few thousand that way. Alternatively we may not fancy that idea and say what the hell we'll go with what we have! Just need to secure a buyer to put either plan in motion!

Fingerscrossed that we'll be in Tas at some point during 2009! You know we left for Perth exactly 1 year ago today! That year has gone quick!

Cathy

Last edited by travelbug; Nov 20th 2008 at 10:48 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi thanks
what date do you fly back to the UK for your visit? not long now i know!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:41 pm
(^v^)

Hi thanks
what date do you fly back to the UK for your visit? not long now i know!
Hiya 23 Dec arrive xmas eve, heathrow will be a bloody nightmare

just off on one of my weirdie weekends, having a didgerigoo Reiki session today and tom doing a spirtitual workshop finding out about animal totems... watch my be a blue tongue lizard

have a fab weekend everyone
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya 23 Dec arrive xmas eve, heathrow will be a bloody nightmare

just off on one of my weirdie weekends, having a didgerigoo Reiki session today and tom doing a spirtitual workshop finding out about animal totems... watch my be a blue tongue lizard

have a fab weekend everyone
Xmas Eve? You're brave! Heathrow will certainly be busy!!! Hope it doesn't take too long then though for you to drive to your neck of the woods. I bet you're really looking forward to seeing your Mum and everyone now that you know it's fast approaching..
Hope by the time you read this that you've had a great weekend. Now won't that be funny is your animal totem is a blue tongued lizard
Cathy
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Bless ya, it does get a little depressing some times when all you seem to do is housework, change nappies, cook dinner and generally be the slave in the household!! But I bet you wouldn't change it for the world eh? Have you read my profile of my profession on facebook? I think I just covered it here. It goes something like boss to my son, cooking, cleaning, holidays rare and no sick leave, yet I love my job!
Yeah I love it too ...just with potty training Keane and Heidi teething,Ben leaving school and the other two turning 9 & 11 ...it's just been a mad few weeks ...it is settling (dare I say it!) down a bit...Keane is the hardest at the moment...but it's also the best, most funny age so the poor kid can't win

Its weird having a child out of school and in College and Work...he was always the one who didn't want to emigrate and now he wants it more than anyone!! Teenagers!!!

We have done lots to the house since we sold last time (New bedroom and en-suite) and re-done lots of other bits and jerads outside now building a Shed!! Bloody freezing today and rain off and on , yep i'm indoors and staying there Its all minimal cost for us to do all the work as Jer does it all..thankfully, as the ever decreasing house prices do NOT help
I did read the Sydney Times online(just to get an overall view) and it seems like it has spread to Oz (not that it could escape it) so hopefully things will have settled down and be on the way back up by the time we get there !
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jerzo
We have done lots to the house since we sold last time (New bedroom and en-suite) and re-done lots of other bits and jerads outside now building a Shed!! Bloody freezing today and rain off and on , yep i'm indoors and staying there Its all minimal cost for us to do all the work as Jer does it all..thankfully, as the ever decreasing house prices do NOT help
I did read the Sydney Times online(just to get an overall view) and it seems like it has spread to Oz (not that it could escape it) so hopefully things will have settled down and be on the way back up by the time we get there !
Hi Zoe, that's really good you've been able to add value to your house. So handy Jerad having been able to do all the work himself.
Have prices dropped a lot in Wales? I know nationwide they're talking about at least a 15% price drop - but on Location Location Location last week they did say some places are fairing better and others fairing worse...
I know there was one area in Wales that had broken the trend and prices had actually increased slightly - although i cant remember the name of the area! I remember it was not far from Cardiff.
We've noticed this weekend that there's a few new "for sale" signs up in our area - not sure what that means - whether people are deciding to try and sell now before things get worse? Hope not too many people decide to do that - we could do without the competition!
I've noticed on realestate.com.au that prices have dropped a little in Oz - especially on the mainland, and in places that were no doubt overpriced anyway due to the increase in immigrants (Perth for example). I know one of Andy's nieces has a 4bed 2bath house in Perth and last year these houses were worth well over $500,000 but i've noticed that now in the same suburb they're going for about $450,000 & upwards. I spent ages the other night having a good look at Tassie properties as well on realestate.com - both North & South and some houses that have been up for a while seem to have dropped their asking prices by quite a fair bit. That's the plus of having been waiting to move for so long - i'm familiar with a lot of the properties that haven't sold! So that's one good thing i guess for any of us that are still to make the move...hopefully we may recoup some of what we lose in the UK..

Cathy
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Hiya Cathy

Yep house prices have taken a drastic dive here ...not so much of a problem if , like we said before, we were buying again in the UK as all the other prices drop too. I have been looking at the aussie papers and it seems as if they are going the same way ,hopefully it will all work out ok for us. Lets hope that the exchange rate gets better...it did jump up a few weeks back but not for long.
Kids are nagging at me to get off here!! got a free dvd today in the paper and they want to sit down and watch it 'All together' !! its not too bad 'the three musketeers! (oliver reed one) ...pass the choccies !!

Talk more in the week (lots more)
Zoe xxx
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Cathy

Yep house prices have taken a drastic dive here ...not so much of a problem if , like we said before, we were buying again in the UK as all the other prices drop too. I have been looking at the aussie papers and it seems as if they are going the same way ,hopefully it will all work out ok for us. Lets hope that the exchange rate gets better...it did jump up a few weeks back but not for long.
Kids are nagging at me to get off here!! got a free dvd today in the paper and they want to sit down and watch it 'All together' !! its not too bad 'the three musketeers! (oliver reed one) ...pass the choccies !!

Zoe xxx
Hi Zoe, lets hope we're both right about things levelling out! Time will tell no doubt! Yep, the rate is a bummer - up and down all the time One of my friends is soon to buy a property near Sydney as a holiday home and her & her husband leave for a two month trip to Oz just after xmas. They were buying loads of dollars when the rate went high because they knew it wouldnt last, wise decision really...if you have the cash at the time!
Enjoy your 3 Musketeers DVD - good all those freebie DVD's in the papers lately. Eden was collecting the Narnia / Secret Garden ones....
I like the Oliver Reed version with old Roy Kinnear bless him.

Catch up with you during the week....
Cathy
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:44 pm
(^v^)

Xmas Eve? You're brave! Heathrow will certainly be busy!!! Hope it doesn't take too long then though for you to drive to your neck of the woods. I bet you're really looking forward to seeing your Mum and everyone now that you know it's fast approaching..
Hope by the time you read this that you've had a great weekend. Now won't that be funny is your animal totem is a blue tongued lizard
Cathy
we connect to manchester, only about 45 mins from manchester to Colins all back country roads only local people know so not too bad.

yep can't wait to see her

had a fab weekend, didnt get a blue tongue but got a snake
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Cathy

Zoe xxx

Hi Zoe

Good to hear from you, sounds like you've been busy with the house, when do you think you'll put it back on the market?

Prices have dropped a little here but not as much as we needed, we messed up (with some very poor advice from H**x) with our currency exchange and changed when the rate was 2.04, it then rose up to nearly 2.80 and even now its sitting at about 2.40 which would have given us nearly $100k more, still makes me feel sick if I think about it.

So even if it only sits at about the current level, you'll get a good rate of exchange. Hope its not long before you can put it up for sale and get on over here!

Take care, will be a busy time in your house this Christmas

Sam
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:15 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by Sammy T
we messed up (with some very poor advice from H**x) with our currency exchange and changed when the rate was 2.04, it then rose up to nearly 2.80 and even now its sitting at about 2.40 which would have given us nearly $100k more, still makes me feel sick if I think about it.

Sam
OMG you must be gutted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.