Tasmania

Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tasmania

Can anyone out there supply me some details about life in Hobart and maybe the odd oic or two to go with it?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Kiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Can anyone out there supply me some details about life in Hobart and maybe the odd oic or two to go with it?

Thanks,

Steve
BritishExpats is a good forum but for Tassie you may want to check the "Poms in Oz" forum. They have a specific Tasmania section that's quite active
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have six toes on each foot?

Ozzie Peeps tell me that tassie is like UK with shopping that makes Perf look like Milano
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I liked Hobart, it's quite compact compared to some of the other cities in Oz. I took my pushbike to Tassie on the ferry. Hobart has bike tracks converted from rail. Great for getting around

A lot of stuff happens at the harbour & salamanca place. I'd say that Tassie has the most 'English' feel - the parks all feel as if they are straight out of the 19th century.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwijack
BritishExpats is a good forum but for Tassie you may want to check the "Poms in Oz" forum. They have a specific Tasmania section that's quite active
Thanks,
Steve
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment can be a bit of a problem as there aren't the opportunities there are in other states.

Many people ages between 18 - 25 leave looking for work or to further their education and don't return.

I have relatives that live in Hobart and they brought up their son in Hobart. They love the place but then their son has moved on and lives elsewhere in Australia now and this makes them feel unsettled.

I would be a little nervous of moving to Tassie.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon77
Unemployment can be a bit of a problem as there aren't the opportunities there are in other states.

Many people ages between 18 - 25 leave looking for work or to further their education and don't return.

I have relatives that live in Hobart and they brought up their son in Hobart. They love the place but then their son has moved on and lives elsewhere in Australia now and this makes them feel unsettled.

Thanks Jon,
You make some good points.

Steve
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:28 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I like Hobart and have even considered moving down there on occassions. The town is very Victorian in much of it's design and construction, in fact the Town Hall and 'bus staion' area could be straight from a Yorkshire scene. The Harbour front is very like a 'Whitby' kind of feel too, and it's the only place in Australia that I know of where you can get a 'chip butty' and real English style Fish and Chips. ( Not that it's important, but worth a mention )

The weather is very similar to the South of England, with milder summers than further north on the mainland if you don't like too much heat. ( Although there are still occasional hot days )

There's nowehere else is Australia quite like it, very unique.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:25 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

On the other hand if you're coming from Wales it will not be such a big difference
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Really nice place to visit. Most Tasmanians who go to University will move to Melbourne though.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:45 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Tasmania is a fantastic place for young children but a bit isolated for older children my friend who lives there tells me.

the countryside is lovely except around queenstown
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Do you have six toes on each foot?
..... not to mention, checking for the scar on shoulders of people who leave Tassie.....?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

Thanks,

Steve
if you would like to PM me i can give you some info.