Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian ambulance services

Australian ambulance services

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

holly32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian ambulance services

This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.
I currently have no qualifications in this area.
Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian ambulance services

Do you have a visa or can you get one? Or do you need the visa as well? It is not normally possible for trainees to get visas. Australia would prefer its own youth and unemployed to take up trainee places so don't hand out visas for this purpose. Not 100pc on this, why don't you just pick one and ask them, the worst that can happen is they say no.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly32
This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.
Thanks
Try these threads. Might be someone that may answer your question or contact relevent ambulance services.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675341&highlight=qas

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...as#post9159541

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=nsw+ambulance
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by holly32
Thanks
If you can get here on a visa, then you can apply for a position as a trainee paramedic for the ambulance service, just like any local can do. A few of the ambo services have been recruiting internationally with visa sponsorship but only fully qualified officers with a minimal 3-5 years post qualification experience. These recruitment windows are slowly being reduced and eventually closed down.

John
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

holly32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links I’m going to post there to see if I can find out more.

I would need them to sponsor me.

I would be looking to move over in about 1.5 years when I am finished my current degree in college. By then I would be able to complete a private EMT course and have some experience with a voluntary ambulance service.

Originally Posted by John_R
If you can get here on a visa, then you can apply for a position as a trainee paramedic for the ambulance service, just like any local can do. A few of the ambo services have been recruiting internationally with visa sponsorship but only fully qualified officers with a minimal 3-5 years post qualification experience. These recruitment windows are slowly being reduced and eventually closed down.

John
What kind of visa would I need in order to apply?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

PR- Permanent resident.
Technically you can study with an student visa (pretty expensive - afaik 20.000AUD/year for the course only), but for the "practical" part of the course you would have to leave for another country. I know only two students who did that (one from Singapore and one from NZ)
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa would I need in order to apply?
I think what we wanted to know was if you were eligible for any visa unrelated to the traineeship, eg are your parents getting PR or do you have an Australian parent. I do not believe you can get a visa for an apprenticeship, as per my earlier post no harm in contacting them to check.

I suspect this will be a deadend, recommend you train in the UK and then look into moving in a few years as skilled person.