British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tasmania?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tasmania-438954/)

travelbug Feb 11th 2008 8:22 pm

Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Bishop3912 (Post 5918925)
HI cathy, just catching up on the posts. Dont use PSS we used them, they packed really badly and loads of our stuff was really badly damaged when it was unpacked in Tas. Have heard that John Masons are really good and know from our experience in Tas that Wridgeways is the company they use there to unload and they are fantastic. Also know that Allied Pickfords have their own company in Tas so you will get the services all the way through from them. Whens the house going on the market?

Hi :) I thought PSS might have been the one you used but couldnt remember - and i did try and search through previous PM's to see but i must have deleted them! I've just rung Andy and told him that if they call him today not to make an appointment! I'll send off a couple of enquiries to the other ones you've suggested - so thanks for that....
When will you be reunited with all your stuff do you think? Will it take as long to get back as it did going?
We've made an appointment for the estate agent we're going to use to come round on the 8th March - that's when we'll officially be on the market... Wanted to wait a couple of weeks as we're really busy the next couple of weekends - so if we were on the market we wouldnt be in to take any viewings! :)

kezzabird Feb 11th 2008 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bishop3912 (Post 5920551)
Hi Kezza, wicked photos, was it the club you belong to whos 4x4 you went in? We have been there and it is really beautiful, ours wasnt off roading though!! he he. Did Alex go with you too? Whats the weather like?

Yes it was the club and we all went, a Gunns family affair! It was lots of fun.

travelbug Feb 11th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5920671)
Hi :) I thought PSS might have been the one you used but couldnt remember - and i did try and search through previous PM's to see but i must have deleted them! I've just rung Andy and told him that if they call him today not to make an appointment! I'll send off a couple of enquiries to the other ones you've suggested - so thanks for that....
When will you be reunited with all your stuff do you think? Will it take as long to get back as it did going?
We've made an appointment for the estate agent we're going to use to come round on the 8th March - that's when we'll officially be on the market... Wanted to wait a couple of weeks as we're really busy the next couple of weekends - so if we were on the market we wouldnt be in to take any viewings! :)

Doree Bonner just rang Andy and said that it was too "soon" for them to come round and give a quote - would only do that once we've got a definite rough moving date.... They said costs for 20ft container was £5,500 to Tas!
and insurance would be 3 percent of the value of contents...
I know a friend of a friend that runs a freight/shipping business and i'm now starting to wonder whether i should sweet talk him into getting us a quote and sorting out our own insurance - although i'm scared to use a company that doesnt "normally" ship to Tas!

GaryVFR8 Feb 11th 2008 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 4881451)
Hi folks

Just wondering, all you folks that have already moved out to Tas. Did any of you manage to get the 40kg baggage allowance when you made the move and if so how did that work on the internal flight to Tas?

Kez

We had 115 kgs between me and Vikky when we flew from UK flew buisness class, Was thinging about leaving a couple of bags in Melbourne as we had a trip booked for the week after flying to Tas, But the bloke at Virgin Blue was very nice and gave us a bit of extra free luggage, And then only charge us for some of the excess baggage, This came to around $200 dollers which when you think how much we had was a fair price.
I would try and avoid jetstar they do not seem as fair with excess baggage.
Regards
Gary Wifey and Bump

travelbug Feb 11th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8 (Post 5920997)
We had 115 kgs between me and Vikky when we flew from UK flew buisness class, Was thinging about leaving a couple of bags in Melbourne as we had a trip booked for the week after flying to Tas, But the bloke at Virgin Blue was very nice and gave us a bit of extra free luggage, And then only charge us for some of the excess baggage, This came to around $200 dollers which when you think how much we had was a fair price.
Regards
Gary Wifey and Bump

Hi - i presume you didn't already validate your visa's and had 40kg each anyway? How many suitcases/bags did you have???? Must have been a lot to carry!
They'll be 4 of us - and we have already validated our visa's so we know that the airlines will only give us 20kg each... But we took only 60kg in luggage when we went to Perth & Tas in November and managed to fit loads in that. We're planning on taking the full 80kgs and paying excess baggage for about 20kgs when we go....and we may even fly to Melbourne, buy a car and take the ferry over - that way we can also buy a few bits we might need in Melbourne then.... Hard deciding what to pack! Did you ship stuff out as well???

Sammy T Feb 12th 2008 2:24 am

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8 (Post 5920997)
Regards
Gary Wifey and Bump

Show off - flying business class:p

Congratulations on the bump:D and I hope you didn't make "wifey" carry the 115kgs:eek:

Sam

GaryVFR8 Feb 12th 2008 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Sammy T (Post 5921934)
Show off - flying business class:p

Congratulations on the bump:D and I hope you didn't make "wifey" carry the 115kgs:eek:

Sam

NO i didn't make wifey carry any cases they had weels on them:rofl::rofl::rofl:
It was hard work getting the luggage around. We had 4 cases. First time I have used the trolleys at the airport.
We had looked at buying a car at Melbourne and bringing it across on the ferry, But for the cost of that it can make it a lot dearer, Tiger airways at moment have flights for $9.95 from Melbourne to Launceston. So might be worth looking at there website.
To anyone coming to Launceston area. If you go to the Commonwealth bank website they have been recruiting for jobs in there call centre, the pay is not bad to $43k.
Hope everyones ok and looking forward to meeting some of you soon!!!
Gary Wifey and bump:D

travelbug Feb 13th 2008 12:04 am

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5920925)
Doree Bonner just rang Andy and said that it was too "soon" for them to come round and give a quote - would only do that once we've got a definite rough moving date.... They said costs for 20ft container was £5,500 to Tas!
and insurance would be 3 percent of the value of contents...
I know a friend of a friend that runs a freight/shipping business and i'm now starting to wonder whether i should sweet talk him into getting us a quote and sorting out our own insurance - although i'm scared to use a company that doesnt "normally" ship to Tas!

Maybe i should have re-worded my post above.... Andy had a phone call from D.Bonner today ;) - they obviously read anything mentioned about them on this and maybe other forums - so they'll probably read this too! They were a little worried that people might think that they had refused to come out and give us a quote - which we knew they hadn't - as we agree it's a bit of a guessing game at the moment as we still haven't decided 100% what will be going or staying! They did offer to send someone round this afternoon but we have declined and will arrange another date with them in the near future... They did say that the price given of £5,500 was the maximum figure that could be charged - so that's one good thing to know!
I would say that personally i'm quite impressed with a company that is concerned about potential client's opinions of them and their staff & services and their phone call to Andy confirms that... :thumbsup:
Will be interesting to see once we have other people round as well as to how competitively priced they all are....

Bishop3912 Feb 13th 2008 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5920671)

Cool Cathy, hope they work out ok, I know that Wridgeways in Tassie have been absolutly excellent with us. As for a rental, well loads has been going on with the "job" with Mark, he may not be taking it now (dont ask!!! they dropped the salary by BP10k!!!). I want to go straight back to Tassie but Mark is still considering it (all be it strongly now) so our stuff is still in Tassie waiting for me to unpack with Kezzas help!!! he he), so we may be on our way back there in the next couple of weeks. Will let you know once I land he he he. Good luck with the house sale. I know from looking here that there is a lack of decent houses on the market all the ones on have been on since we put ours on the market and sold it last year!!!

travelbug Feb 13th 2008 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bishop3912 (Post 5930623)
Cool Cathy, hope they work out ok, I know that Wridgeways in Tassie have been absolutly excellent with us. As for a rental, well loads has been going on with the "job" with Mark, he may not be taking it now (dont ask!!! they dropped the salary by BP10k!!!). I want to go straight back to Tassie but Mark is still considering it (all be it strongly now) so our stuff is still in Tassie waiting for me to unpack with Kezzas help!!! he he), so we may be on our way back there in the next couple of weeks. Will let you know once I land he he he. Good luck with the house sale. I know from looking here that there is a lack of decent houses on the market all the ones on have been on since we put ours on the market and sold it last year!!!

Hi Corinne - crikey - that's a big drop in the salary offer - what a cheek! :sneaky: I'd assumed that you were staying - but i guess we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks? When were the kids mean't to start back at school in Tassie? It's a good job that your stuff hasn't yet started the process of being shipped back!
Thanks for the good luck wishes... There are a few of the same houses that have been up for ages in our area - but hopefully that's because they're either overpriced or not very nice! :D The agents seemed very confident ours would go very quickly - lets hope they're right! :)
I went out with friends last night for a meal in Billericay (went to the Ivory Rooms restaurant/bar - dont know if you've ever been? it was very nice but Andy was driving me there i said to him that England is so lovely and parts of the Essex countryside beautiful - but......we couldn't afford to live in one of the kind of houses we love over here - or the kind of area we would really like to live in without being mortgaged to the hilt and with us both working full-time! :(
Anyway, i'm glad we're not doing anything for Valentines day tonight - because i ate so much last night that i really shouldnt eat another 3-course meal for a while!!!! :lol: I've got a few nights out/meals out planned over the next few months - i'd better be careful otherwise i'll be booking an extra seat for myself to accomodate the growing waistline!!! :lol: I like my food too much already!
Let us know what you decide to do - if you do decide to stay in the UK - i'd love to meet up for chat one day....but if you do go back - i'm sure i can wait a few more months before we all get to meet up!
take care! :)

travelbug Feb 13th 2008 9:46 pm

Where is Otago Bay? does anyone know?

ianandhelena Feb 14th 2008 4:17 am

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5930997)
Where is Otago Bay? does anyone know?

just north of Risdon (where the prison is !) on the eastern shore, approx east of Berriedale.

Sammy T Feb 14th 2008 4:56 am

Originally Posted by ianandhelena (Post 5932654)
just north of Risdon (where the prison is !) on the eastern shore, approx east of Berriedale.

So, near the prison? What's it like in that area, do you know?
We've seen a few properties in Geilston Bay that looked quite nice, presumably same area.

Sam

travelbug Feb 14th 2008 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ianandhelena (Post 5932654)

thanks! I did try and find it on a map i had - but it's not a very good one! :D
I now recall though seeing a house for sale in Glenorchy once that had views over this bay..... so i guess the area stretches quite a way?
Risdon is one of the cheap property area's isnt it? I guess now i know why if there's a prison there...

ianandhelena Feb 14th 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5932926)
thanks! I did try and find it on a map i had - but it's not a very good one! :D
I now recall though seeing a house for sale in Glenorchy once that had views over this bay..... so i guess the area stretches quite a way?
Risdon is one of the cheap property area's isnt it? I guess now i know why if there's a prison there...

just use google maps, type the area in the searchbox:

http://maps.google.com.au/