British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tasmania?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tasmania-438954/)

jerzo Jan 27th 2008 8:47 am

Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 5844347)
Oh I see! Poor blighters they will only just get over their jetlag then they will have to set off again!!:unsure:

Yes they normally Take about 30 days, but the people that are in their want longer, so it's gonna take 60 days. Which is ok by us, as we have our rental until apr anyway. We are signing the offer contract in the morning.:)

Stop worrying and enjoy your peace while it lasts! They will be fine.:)

Kerry
X

I know they will be fine it's just so strange!

Thats a good time-scale to be moved by,as you already have your rental theres no real urgency is there?

The boys will probably be ok ...Jer will be totally strung out !!

Zoe x

horrigans Jan 27th 2008 9:25 am

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 5843276)
Hi all!

Any way I hope I haven't put anyone off coming here with the talk of bugs!!:ohmy:

Kerry
X

You haven't put us off... although hubs has just had a major panic about accepting a job in Hobart... it looks about 99% certain that he's going to give them a ring on Tuesday and accept!

Bye bye Gold Coast... hello Tassie!! Any advice for a newbie to Tassie?! We're going to fly down in the next few weeks to do some house hunting - would definitely appreciate some advice on areas to look at etc. Nick quite liked the area south of Hobart, but my brain is fried and I can't remember which specific places he mentioned.

All dithery and trying not to be too excited until the job is 100% in the bag!

:D

Sarah

jerzo Jan 27th 2008 9:28 am

Originally Posted by horrigans (Post 5844471)
You haven't put us off... although hubs has just had a major panic about accepting a job in Hobart... it looks about 99% certain that he's going to give them a ring on Tuesday and accept!

Bye bye Gold Coast... hello Tassie!! Any advice for a newbie to Tassie?! We're going to fly down in the next few weeks to do some house hunting - would definitely appreciate some advice on areas to look at etc. Nick quite liked the area south of Hobart, but my brain is fried and I can't remember which specific places he mentioned.

Sarah

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

Hope it all goes well x

Zoe (want to be there soooooooo much !)

horrigans Jan 27th 2008 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jerzo (Post 5844477)
GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

Hope it all goes well x

Zoe (want to be there soooooooo much !)

Thanks, Zoe! It's a big decision for hubs cuz his folks live on the Gold Coast and his mum has already said they won't come to Tassie to visit (humph!), but I'm really feeling excited about it! We've been living with the in-laws since last year and it's driving me bonkers. I can't wait to leave and I wish we'd sorted out job stuff before we came out here. It's been seriously stressy starting out... but I'm all tingly with excitement about the possibilities Tassie could offer us even if hubs did sit on the beach this evening looking a bit glum and muttering about missing warm evenings.

Bit of a jump into the unknown, but hey... life's just one big adventure!

Sarah :D

jerzo Jan 27th 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by horrigans (Post 5844497)
Thanks, Zoe! It's a big decision for hubs cuz his folks live on the Gold Coast and his mum has already said they won't come to Tassie to visit (humph!), but I'm really feeling excited about it! We've been living with the in-laws since last year and it's driving me bonkers. I can't wait to leave and I wish we'd sorted out job stuff before we came out here. It's been seriously stressy starting out... but I'm all tingly with excitement about the possibilities Tassie could offer us even if hubs did sit on the beach this evening looking a bit glum and muttering about missing warm evenings.

Bit of a jump into the unknown, but hey... life's just one big adventure!

Oh I just did a reply and it got wiped off!!!

Anyway I totally agree with you !

Imagine staying in the same place seeing the same people and so on...... HIDEOUS !

We have had a few hiccups on the way to making this move but i'm still determined to do it ;)

Why on earth has your mother in law said she won't visit?? Is it maybe a ploy to keep her son where he is :sneaky:

Keep us posted with your move

Zoe x

travelbug Jan 27th 2008 10:27 am

Hi Kerry :) made me feel a bit itchy with all this talk of spiders (yes, i know i started it!).... We saw a huge huntmans in Perth. I bet i'm going to be paranoid when we arrive!!!!

Good news about the Bishop's changing their mind again - they must be on an emotional rollercoaster at the moment :eek:- gawd knows what their relatives in England must be thinking, it'll be hard for them if they thought they were coming back and now they're not - although it'll be good for them to all catch up for however long they're back in Romford....
I guess coming back will help definitely make their minds up....There's not many people that drive out of the Romford area's and feel like they're making a big mistake - certainly not as scenic as their drive up North on the Island would have been! :)

I am glad if they're choosing to stay in tassie :thumbsup: Must be so hard trying to decide whether you're making a right or wrong choice - and doubley hard when there's kiddies involved as well...

kezzabird Jan 27th 2008 11:09 am

Originally Posted by horrigans (Post 5844471)

Sarah

Hi Horrigans

The south of Hobart is lovely, Kingston, Blackmans bay, Huonville etc. But house prices reflect this. What kind of work does your hubby do?

Kerry
X

Teabag Jan 27th 2008 11:16 am

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5844594)

Good news about the Bishop's changing their mind again - they must be on an emotional rollercoaster at the moment ..

I would be a mess deciding what's best if I were them!!

Must be costing them a fortune too to travel back so soon after they've arrived and then come back again. Hopefully it will put their minds at rest once and for all:)

horrigans Jan 27th 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 5844668)
Hi Horrigans

The south of Hobart is lovely, Kingston, Blackmans bay, Huonville etc. But house prices reflect this. What kind of work does your hubby do?

Kerry
X

He's a sculptor (hence we're always bloomin' poor!) but the job itself is managing a gallery in Salamanca. Fingers and toes crossed they haven't changed their minds about offering it him before he speaks to them on Tuesday!

Blackman's Bay and Kingston ring a bell - he also said he liked Franklin and Geeveston. Do you know what they're like at all? We're also not sure whether to rent first and then look for a house, or get a holiday let for a month and try to buy fairly quickly. Choices, choices! Aargh!!

Teabag Jan 27th 2008 11:33 am

Originally Posted by horrigans (Post 5844704)
He's a sculptor (hence we're always bloomin' poor!) but the job itself is managing a gallery in Salamanca. Fingers and toes crossed they haven't changed their minds about offering it him before he speaks to them on Tuesday!

Blackman's Bay and Kingston ring a bell - he also said he liked Franklin and Geeveston. Do you know what they're like at all? We're also not sure whether to rent first and then look for a house, or get a holiday let for a month and try to buy fairly quickly. Choices, choices! Aargh!!

Huonville and Franklin are pretty areas and still close enough to travel to Hobart, House prices are cheaper than Kingston and Blackman's Bay.
Geeveston is quite a bit further down.

travelbug Jan 27th 2008 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=Teabag;5844689]I would be a mess deciding what's best if I were them!!

I would be too... I'm bad enough emotionally and i haven't even put our house up for sale yet! :D I'm still dreading what i'll be like come the time when i actually have to ship all our stuff, say our farewells and leave!
I'm quite an emotional person if other people are upset (emphathy i think is the word - i hate seeing others cry and being sad)....that starts me off. Andy is always tutting when we're watching saturday evening tv here - if there's some kind of talent show and they're doing the old sob story of how things will change people's lives for the best - if there's the slightest hint of someone getting upset or crying i'm normally blubbing by the end! :lol:

travelbug Jan 27th 2008 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by horrigans (Post 5844704)

Sounds like a great job! The galleries in Salamanca were lovely.....
We went into one that sold pottery - and i did buy just one small bowl - but some of the artwork and pottery in there was lovely..... I could imagine that i'll be spending a few bob when we do arrive on the Island. I love arts & crafts and have collected loads of bits and pieces from various travels, but i'm running out of room for all that kind of stuff in our 3 bed semi here in Romford! I need a bigger house when we get to Tas so i can stock up on some more!

travelbug Jan 27th 2008 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 5844719)
Huonville and Franklin are pretty areas and still close enough to travel to Hobart, House prices are cheaper than Kingston and Blackman's Bay.

How far is your new house from Hobart? I remember you saying that a 20min drive to the locals is a long distance - although to us that's not really a long journey at all - or for you having come from the mainland!

horrigans Jan 27th 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 5844719)

Sounds like Huonville and Franklin might be the places to start looking. We're hoping to buy somewhere either outright or with a teeny mortgage to give us a bit of financial breathing space for the first time in ages! :D

Oh, and another Tassie question, while I'm at it. We've got two young children - 4 and 2 - do you reckon it's a good place to bring up littlies? And what sort of things are there to do with them in and around Hobart?

Sarah

talisman Jan 27th 2008 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by horrigans (Post 5845982)
Sounds like Huonville and Franklin might be the places to start looking. We're hoping to buy somewhere either outright or with a teeny mortgage to give us a bit of financial breathing space for the first time in ages! :D

Oh, and another Tassie question, while I'm at it. We've got two young children - 4 and 2 - do you reckon it's a good place to bring up littlies? And what sort of things are there to do with them in and around Hobart?

Sarah

hI, just wanted to say hello to everyone, we are moving to Tasmania, fingers crossed. Heading to Hobart. We have three kids and cant wait to get there.
What a great place to start our new life.
Jane