Tasmania

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by Three Legs
What do people do in Tazzie ? ... Employment wise I mean, it looks a beautiful place to live.
The Tasmanian economy relies on farming,forestry,mining,tourism as well as some heavy industry(Zinifex Zinc Smelter, Smorgon Steel, Ecka Granules) and many other small, more important industry, Boag's and Cascade brewery. There is also a plan to build a large pulp mill in the north which would bring many benefits to the economy, although the environment would probably suffer to some degree.
I understand that the economy didn't fair too well around 10-15 years ago and unemployment was really high but things have improved alot in recent years. We moved here last April and I found work within a week of arriving, so it can't be too bad!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:01 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WEBBS
The Tasmanian economy relies on farming,forestry,mining,tourism as well as some heavy industry(Zinifex Zinc Smelter, Smorgon Steel, Ecka Granules) and many other small, more important industry, Boag's and Cascade brewery. There is also a plan to build a large pulp mill in the north which would bring many benefits to the economy, although the environment would probably suffer to some degree.
I understand that the economy didn't fair too well around 10-15 years ago and unemployment was really high but things have improved alot in recent years. We moved here last April and I found work within a week of arriving, so it can't be too bad!
Yaaaaay hullo still says midlothian in your location

Hows the new house??? and how is the weather
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by possoms
Yaaaaay hullo still says midlothian in your location

Hows the new house??? and how is the weather
Your's says bloody Ecuador!!

The weather has been great! It was about time for the weather to improve.
The house isn't too bad, it can't be because Rosie is happy with it. We're in the middle of dividing a bedroom and making it into a new bathroom...in true Aussie style it's taking me a lot longer than it would if I was still in Scotland.

I'm going into Boag's brewery on the 14th to install their new gas meter, if I manage to wangle some beer I'll come home,drink it and try to describe how nice an experience it is. I've yet to try any 'Coopers' but think of you and Colin each time the advert is on TV.

Dare I ask...any news on the house front? Rosie said that you will have to come over sometime to validate you visa, any idea when?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:23 am

Your's says bloody Ecuador!!

The weather has been great! It was about time for the weather to improve.
The house isn't too bad, it can't be because Rosie is happy with it. We're in the middle of dividing a bedroom and making it into a new bathroom...in true Aussie style it's taking me a lot longer than it would if I was still in Scotland.

I'm going into Boag's brewery on the 14th to install their new gas meter, if I manage to wangle some beer I'll come home,drink it and try to describe how nice an experience it is. I've yet to try any 'Coopers' but think of you and Colin each time the advert is on TV.

Dare I ask...any news on the house front? Rosie said that you will have to come over sometime to validate you visa, any idea when?
Nice work in the Brewery good one!!

Glad your enjoying the house, and that the weather is good, I was told it was 40c the other weekend in Hobart

Nooooo no news on the house, we are looking to come out middle to late May to validate, been looking at flights seems cheaper to just fly to Melbourne and buy a flight to Tas when we get there? They seem to add about £200 pp for the additonal flight to Hobart what do you think??

oh and Ecuador is my footie team in the sweepstake
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Nice work in the Brewery good one!!

Glad your enjoying the house, and that the weather is good, I was told it was 40c the other weekend in Hobart

Nooooo no news on the house, we are looking to come out middle to late May to validate, been looking at flights seems cheaper to just fly to Melbourne and buy a flight to Tas when we get there? They seem to add about £200 pp for the additonal flight to Hobart what do you think??

oh and Ecuador is my footie team in the sweepstake
Definitely look at booking flights via the internet before you get here, www.virginblue.com.au have flights on 24/05 for $69 each,one way. I know you haven't got an exact date but this gives you a good idea! I think it will cost you more if you book it at the airport or get your UK travel agent to organise it.
I was on duty at work a couple of weeks ago and the temperature alarm on the gas pipe was showing 46.95 C in Bridgewater,which is about 20k's north of Hobart centre. Pretty hot!

Whats the weather like with you?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:39 am

Definitely look at booking flights via the internet before you get here, www.virginblue.com.au have flights on 24/05 for $69 each,one way. I know you haven't got an exact date but this gives you a good idea! I think it will cost you more if you book it at the airport or get your UK travel agent to organise it.
I was on duty at work a couple of weeks ago and the temperature alarm on the gas pipe was showing 46.95 C in Bridgewater,which is about 20k's north of Hobart centre. Pretty hot!

Whats the weather like with you?
Thanks mate I will look on the site

46c wow that is hot!!! It is freezing here, the water on the bird table is frozen solid even as I type I cant feel my fingers
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks mate I will look on the site

46c wow that is hot!!! It is freezing here, the water on the bird table is frozen solid even as I type I cant feel my fingers
Do what I do and type with only one finger...and then keep changing it when it goes blue!!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm a fluids engineer by qualification, though right now I'm teaching at secondary school. I've had a lot of problems getting my teaching qualifications recognised in Oz - infact, I'm registered to teach only in NSW private schools, and I'm sure the same problems would present themselves if I tried to register in Tas.

That said, I'd really like to go back into academia/research in the field I did my PhD in, but that's pretty narrow, and I've been waiting for a suitable lectureship/project to come up for some time. May have to shelve this plan and look for something else.

Anyway, Tas doesn't look desperately good for either teaching or fluid mechanics.

S
Forgive my ignorance but what industy would a fluid engineer work in? What does a fluid engineer do?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:49 am

Do what I do and type with only one finger...and then keep changing it when it goes blue!!
I am ahhh you've changed your location.

btw had a pm of Harry the other week just to say there were 3 carpenters jobs going in Hobart, thats it nothing else??? so he is still out there then LOL

right gotta go I'll let you know when we are coming out

Last edited by possoms; Feb 2nd 2006 at 11:07 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive my ignorance but what industy would a fluid engineer work in? What does a fluid engineer do?
It's a branch of mechanical engineering. It's all about modelling and predicting the flow of fluids and gases - It can be anything from the intake of a jet engine or air flow over the wings to the stresses and strains in a droplet of water as it falls as rain.

Unfortunately, all my experience is in Micro fluid flow, and there's precious little of that going on outside of University research groups, which limits my options. I've been trying to get a course or something that will give me a better chance of getting a job, but that's proving pretty hard too.

S
Old Feb 4th 2006, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

It's a branch of mechanical engineering. It's all about modelling and predicting the flow of fluids and gases - It can be anything from the intake of a jet engine or air flow over the wings to the stresses and strains in a droplet of water as it falls as rain.

Unfortunately, all my experience is in Micro fluid flow, and there's precious little of that going on outside of University research groups, which limits my options. I've been trying to get a course or something that will give me a better chance of getting a job, but that's proving pretty hard too.

S
Couldn't you use the skills and experience you have and apply it to a process used in the oil and gas, mining or other industry. I believe there is a real shortage of engineers on the mainland. There was an ad in today's paper saying that WA's industry is in crisis due to a shortage of skilled labour..I know that they say this to generate interest but there must be some truth in it.
What sort of course would you be looking to do?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Hi there Swervo

My husband and I live in Hobart. We emigrated here 9 months ago. My husband is a manager of Hays recruitment and would certainly try to help you find work. He deals with all kinds of mechanical engineers and would love to help

his email is [email protected]

Tassie is a brilliant place to live

nat xxx

S
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by natty
Hi there Swervo

My husband and I live in Hobart. We emigrated here 9 months ago. My husband is a manager of Hays recruitment and would certainly try to help you find work. He deals with all kinds of mechanical engineers and would love to help

his email is [email protected]

Tassie is a brilliant place to live

nat xxx
Good to hear that you are enjoying Tassie. We are settling in Launceston. I know a plumber who has just moved to Hobart. I gave him the contact details for Julian Taylor @ Hays. Does your husband know if Julian still works there? Thanks Natty!!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:39 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tasmania

Don't forget TEMCO and Comalco!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you use the skills and experience you have and apply it to a process used in the oil and gas, mining or other industry. I believe there is a real shortage of engineers on the mainland. There was an ad in today's paper saying that WA's industry is in crisis due to a shortage of skilled labour..I know that they say this to generate interest but there must be some truth in it.
What sort of course would you be looking to do?
High Webbs, thanks for your reply. I think that many of my skills will be transferable to pipeline engineering (water and oil), but will probably need to do a transfer course or similar to get me up to speed. Been looking for relevant books and stuff here, but nothing doing. Probably best to wait until I arrive, as I don't want to spend money on a course that won't be relevant in Oz (as I did with my teacher training )

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.