Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking UK (land line) phones to Australia?

Taking UK (land line) phones to Australia?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Taking UK (land line) phones to Australia?

Hi,

I already know about the problems with moving to Queensland and daring to fiddle about with UK plugs to make them Oz compatible. I plan to surmount this problem with the cunning plan suggested by other BE members i.e. using a multi plug extension lead and using just one travel plug

HOWEVER, and here is where I sound really stupid, we have 3 fairly new home phones. The type where one is plugged into a phone socket in the wall and the mains, the other two are just plugged to the mains. All three lift out of the bases to be used. Don't know the proper name for them.

I was wondering if I will be able to use them in Oz? Are their phone sockets the same as those in the UK?

Getting really excited about the move now. We are going to the Manchester Expo on Saturday to meet prospective employer and get some general info. Hopefully full interview and visa application will follow the next week. Then it's down to lots of wine and chewing of fingernails till we get the full OK!

The kids have been sorting the spare room and we already have quite a pile for a car boot sale. Really looking forward to a fresh start, getting rid of all our old crap and, of course, lots of shopping at the other end for some new stuff.

Thanks,
Ren
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:18 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking UK (land line) phones to Australia?

Originally Posted by RenShen
HOWEVER, and here is where I sound really stupid, we have 3 fairly new home phones. The type where one is plugged into a phone socket in the wall and the mains, the other two are just plugged to the mains. All three lift out of the bases to be used. Don't know the proper name for them.

I was wondering if I will be able to use them in Oz? Are their phone sockets the same as those in the UK?
If the phones are DECT phones (look in the manual) then they will work in Oz. The phone sockets are different, but you can buy an adaptor from Maplin in the UK before you go.

Do a search for "DECT", as this has been discussed a few times before. And I know I posted the web link for Maplin and the details for the adaptor before.

Gina
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

rabbitstew is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought our phones with us and they are working fine just need to get a new phone cable. And as for plugs all we did was bring out extension leads and changed them so most of our stuff still has UK plugs on.
Tracey
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hi,

I already know about the problems with moving to Queensland and daring to fiddle about with UK plugs to make them Oz compatible. I plan to surmount this problem with the cunning plan suggested by other BE members i.e. using a multi plug extension lead and using just one travel plug

Getting really excited about the move now. We are going to the Manchester Expo on Saturday to meet prospective employer and get some general info. Hopefully full interview and visa application will follow the next week. Then it's down to lots of wine and chewing of fingernails till we get the full OK!

The kids have been sorting the spare room and we already have quite a pile for a car boot sale. Really looking forward to a fresh start, getting rid of all our old crap and, of course, lots of shopping at the other end for some new stuff.

Thanks,
Ren
If you use your UK phones and there's a problem with the lines and the technician sees you are using them, you will be charged for repairs, they aren't approved under Australian Standards. They also work on a slighlty different frequency to Australian walk around phones. Most of the UK phones work here. You can buy them quite cheaply in Oz, about $80 for a triple set in the Good Guys.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:48 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Ours are DECT phones and despite buying the converters etc they don't work. I guess some do and some don't.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee
If you use your UK phones and there's a problem with the lines and the technician sees you are using them, you will be charged for repairs, they aren't approved under Australian Standards. They also work on a slighlty different frequency to Australian walk around phones. Most of the UK phones work here. You can buy them quite cheaply in Oz, about $80 for a triple set in the Good Guys.
Absolutely, friends of mine were charged just shy of $1000 by Telstra for problems with their line.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

That's a no brainer then. $1000? Just not worth the risk.

So that's another item for the pre-emigration car boot sale

Thanks for all the advice,
Ren