Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking tools, wall & floor tiler!!

Taking tools, wall & floor tiler!!

Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

stengee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking tools, wall & floor tiler!!

Hi,
I am considering taking my hand tools out with me when I fly and then buying new cutters when I get to Oz, this would enable me to work that bit sooner..
I am worried that it takes to long with shipping?

I just wanted to know how much a new tile cutters would cost in Oz, both manual and electric and what they use? (usually use Rubi) and if this is a good way of doing it?

thanks

ste
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking tools, wall & floor tiler!!

A few tilers use Rubi cutters, though the majority seem to prefer Sigma. I use a couple of Sigma's now for most jobs, An ART4B for big tiles on the 45 and a smaller more compact 2G-Technica for 200mm tiles, Deb still prefers her Rubi TS40. Most tiles are cut with a diamond blade in either a 100mm Grinder or a Concrete cutter. I have a wet saw but rarely use it. Try DTA or Tilers Express for buying tools over here.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

stengee is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it worth me shipping my cutters out?

I already have TS40 and TS70plus...

how much did you pay for your cutters if you don't mind me asking, and how come no one use's wet bed diamond cutters out there?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a TS40+ with me from the U.K along with my hand tools. The big Sigma was about $700bucks[ it cuts 500's on the 45°] the smaller one was about $250 bucks it only cuts up to 300's @ 90°, It's handy for showers recess & over baths & perfect for tiling shower floors on the 45° I bought them both from the local tile shop at local trade prices, I could have bought them quite a bit cheaper in Brisbane though.
A decent Makita/Bosch Grinder will cost aprox $200 bucks a decent cross cut concrets cutter about $300 though you can buy loads of chuckaway type stuff for about $20. They last about 6 months if your lucky then chuck them out and replace with new. The makita one we have has lasted us 2 years of regular use.
Wet saws are just not popular here, I used one all the time in the U.K same as most blokes did, here I just score the tile with the Sigma and cut it out with the diamond blade, quicker and easier and with the super thin turbo blades as good a cut as a wet saw.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

mackay is an unknown quantity at this point

i was working in mackay queensland, i only took my ts 40 over ,bought all hand tools out there , about same price as here! ts 60 cost me $515 and you can get a good bosch grinder for $80 in a case with 1 diamond blade and 4 stone wheels! try ''bunings'' just like b&q for tools! washboys are about $120 but i could'nt find a bal one ! there a cheaper version! you will piss it out there mate! nice flat floors not much wall tiling mainly splashbacks! most new houses have 100- 150m2 in them, mostly floors.

the only thing thats different is the shower setup! no trays you have to make them yourself then screed the fall into the trap !! its time taking !! you want to charge at least $120 just for the showerbase!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:40 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mackay
i was working in mackay queensland, i only took my ts 40 over ,bought all hand tools out there , about same price as here! ts 60 cost me $515 and you can get a good bosch grinder for $80 in a case with 1 diamond blade and 4 stone wheels! try ''bunings'' just like b&q for tools! washboys are about $120 but i could'nt find a bal one ! there a cheaper version! you will piss it out there mate! nice flat floors not much wall tiling mainly splashbacks! most new houses have 100- 150m2 in them, mostly floors.

the only thing thats different is the shower setup! no trays you have to make them yourself then screed the fall into the trap !! its time taking !! you want to charge at least $120 just for the showerbase!!!!
Do you have to get licensed or can you just make a start ?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

mackay is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there i'v been looking on the tra web site and dont quote me on this but i'm sure for work in queensland you have to have done a course in general safety through master builders ( blue card for qld) you cant go on site without 1 ! and you need licenced for qld too if the job costs more than $1100 dont know if that is the whole job or just your part ( tiling) in it ! also i'm sure qld is the only 1 of the regions that you have to be licenced think the list showed that the others you dont! ( could be wrong ) it was late ! may be worth while checking that out there are links from the gov website cant find it but when i do i'll pass it on !
hope info is of some help
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:13 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mackay
hi there i'v been looking on the tra web site and dont quote me on this but i'm sure for work in queensland you have to have done a course in general safety through master builders ( blue card for qld) you cant go on site without 1 ! and you need licenced for qld too if the job costs more than $1100 dont know if that is the whole job or just your part ( tiling) in it ! also i'm sure qld is the only 1 of the regions that you have to be licenced think the list showed that the others you dont! ( could be wrong ) it was late ! may be worth while checking that out there are links from the gov website cant find it but when i do i'll pass it on !
hope info is of some help
Thanks mate i will look into it also
Old May 26th 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cresta57
I brought a TS40+ with me from the U.K along with my hand tools. The big Sigma was about $700bucks[ it cuts 500's on the 45°] the smaller one was about $250 bucks it only cuts up to 300's @ 90°, It's handy for showers recess & over baths & perfect for tiling shower floors on the 45° I bought them both from the local tile shop at local trade prices, I could have bought them quite a bit cheaper in Brisbane though.
A decent Makita/Bosch Grinder will cost aprox $200 bucks a decent cross cut concrets cutter about $300 though you can buy loads of chuckaway type stuff for about $20. They last about 6 months if your lucky then chuck them out and replace with new. The makita one we have has lasted us 2 years of regular use.
Wet saws are just not popular here, I used one all the time in the U.K same as most blokes did, here I just score the tile with the Sigma and cut it out with the diamond blade, quicker and easier and with the super thin turbo blades as good a cut as a wet saw.
Hi, New to site and need your help,
I am presentley appling for TRA as a wall and floor tiler.
I am using Go matilda who have advised that I should apply as a wall and floor tiler because this gives me more points.
I am actually a painter and decorator with 25 years experience and 12 years experience as a tiler.
I actually want to work as a painter and decorator, once I am in hervey bay
Qld.
My query is, if I apply as a wall and floor tiler, once I arrive and need to get a licence will this cause problems. As all proof to get in, is as a tiler.

Thanks in advance
Old May 26th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cresta57
I brought a TS40+ with me from the U.K along with my hand tools.
What is the criteria for bringing hand tools out to Oz ? I've heard "they must be professionally cleaned" from one person and "you can clean them yourself" from someone else

Somebody said you can clean them with Jeyes fluid, and this will be ok with customs people ????
Is this correct ?
Rob
Old May 26th 2007, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by robowen
What is the criteria for bringing hand tools out to Oz ? I've heard "they must be professionally cleaned" from one person and "you can clean them yourself" from someone else

Somebody said you can clean them with Jeyes fluid, and this will be ok with customs people ????
Is this correct ?
Rob
AQIS are responsible for checking anything imported to Australia. They insist on items being clean, imports have to be free from soil contamination they don't have to be spotless. My hand tools were all wiped down with a rag then wiped over with an oily rag to stop them rusting. Tools that were boxed i.e tile cutters & angle grinders I wiped the tool down and jet washed the boxes clean.
The Jeyes Fluid trick is mainly for outdoor stuff like garden tools and kids toys. If your bringing mechanics tools ,spanners socket sets etc. you can wait until the O/H is out and run them through the dishwasher, they come out sparkling clean. Wipe down with an oily rag and they don't rust during transit.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by isle
Hi, New to site and need your help,
I am presentley appling for TRA as a wall and floor tiler.
I am using Go matilda who have advised that I should apply as a wall and floor tiler because this gives me more points.
I am actually a painter and decorator with 25 years experience and 12 years experience as a tiler.
I actually want to work as a painter and decorator, once I am in hervey bay
Qld.
My query is, if I apply as a wall and floor tiler, once I arrive and need to get a licence will this cause problems. As all proof to get in, is as a tiler.

Thanks in advance
You can apply as whatever you like so long as you have the necessary qualifications/experience. Once here you can seek work in any trade you have the skills for [as we all know, if your not skilled in a trade it's immediately apparent to most employers just in how you set out your stall] If you wish to work as a painter most companies will take you on and give you a trial like wise the tiling. The problem with tiling is that it's usually a pain just getting a start if your not licenced.
If you wish to be self employed you require a licence, getting one as a painter and decorator when you've applied as a tiler could cause you problems. I applied as a bricklayer as I served an apprenticeship as a brickie, I worked as a tiler for the same company I served my apprenticeship with for over 12 yrs so when it came to applying for a licence over here I was refused one as a brickie as I had insufficient recent experience yet granted one as a tiler. The basic theory behind most trades is much the same with only the actual job specific skills differing. Here in Qld there is a standard skills criteria do a search of my posts and you'll see the one I posted for the tiling criteria.

EDIT: Heres the list of skills [criteria] for a wall & floor tiler http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=14