Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking Television To Oz - Help

Taking Television To Oz - Help

Old May 31st 2004, 10:27 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Taking Television To Oz - Help

I know English Televisons do not work in Oz unless converted over there at an Expense.
However does anyone know wether a external Digitial USB TV Card would work on a Laptop computer, to pick up reception is set to that region?
Secondlly In UK we use PAL L does anyone know what it is in Oz?Thirdly are normal plugs the same or not ?

Personally on the market WinTv provide a universal external device thats fits in to the USB port for picking up TV Reception and I can see no reason why it would not work in OZ if set to the regions PAL setting, also as a bonus you would not need a TV Licence. (Because Technically you do not have a Television)
Old May 31st 2004, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking Television To Oz - Help

Originally posted by Chris Bailey
I know English Televisons do not work in Oz unless converted over there at an Expense.
However does anyone know wether a external Digitial USB TV Card would work on a Laptop computer, to pick up reception is set to that region?
Secondlly In UK we use PAL L does anyone know what it is in Oz?Thirdly are normal plugs the same or not ?

Personally on the market WinTv provide a universal external device thats fits in to the USB port for picking up TV Reception and I can see no reason why it would not work in OZ if set to the regions PAL setting, also as a bonus you would not need a TV Licence. (Because Technically you do not have a Television)

Hi Chris,

I know that these subjects have come up before, you may want to do a search.

as for the tv's not working in Oz, according to some people on here if it is a newish tv then it will probally work.

You do not need a tv licence in Oz as a few others on here have claimed.

As for tv cards & laptops, well that is out of my league.

Good luck though.

Mark.
Old May 31st 2004, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Bailey

[QUOTE]

In Australia they have PAL B/G.

Good luck!
Gabriel

Last edited by Gabriel; May 31st 2004 at 10:57 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

Have been in oz a year now. I had a wintv internal tv card in one of my desktops which i imported. It didn't work because couldn't change pal l to pal b/g. Was bottom of the range so perhaps the dearer ones can be changed?
I have bought a similar card here for about $90, so not too dear.
Electric plugs are not the same. They have no fuse and are a different shape. Having said that, with the additional safety of fuses and the number of plugs to change, have used uk socket strips for comp equipment just changing the plug on the socket strip.
There is no such thing as a TV licence in Aus. At least there isn't in Victoria where I live.

Old Jun 5th 2004, 7:37 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, from what I've read on here, you will get a picture on the TV but no sound, this can be overcome by buying an ozzie video and running it through this.
Good Luck
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

The only difference between TVs in the UK and Australia, is that the UK uses the PAL I standard, whilst Aus uses the PAL B/G standard.

If your TV is quite new, it will probably be work on both systems. Most recent TVs will operate on both standards, but it is best to check your manual to make sure.

With regards to PC TV cards, I brought an external Adaptec VideOh with me. It simply detects what PAL system is being transmitted and it works fine.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

That last quote is not actually true.
Computer businesses in the UK, had to register with the TV licencing people, if they sold TV cards, and had to notify all TV card sales to them with customers details.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jun 6th 2004 at 1:18 am.

Old Jun 6th 2004, 2:07 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Gold Coasters
Hi Chris,

I know that these subjects have come up before, you may want to do a search.

as for the tv's not working in Oz, according to some people on here if it is a newish tv then it will probally work.

You do not need a tv licence in Oz as a few others on here have claimed.

As for tv cards & laptops, well that is out of my league.

Good luck though.

Mark.
TV's to Oz - URG i could tell you a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had two new (2/3 month old uk TV's and one about 12 years old) so we decided to bring them to oz and do what had ben recommended with old video recorders.

We got an oz video recorder and connected it up...........nothing........difficult to tune in but after blue air and fury for 3 days got it tuned..............no programmes............need a booster (the previous owner of our house had got onto the roof and taken it away with him but not told us.)
We now have an oz video recorder (broken sort will not tape) connected to the two new uk tv's and they work well using the remotes from the videos to change channels - AND we actually man age to get the teletext equivalent sub titles (801) running as well. HOWEVER with another good australian video recorder also connected into the system we can record a programme but so far we have not worked out (5months) how to record a programme other than the one that we would be watching.......
Does that sound understandable? My last thought are unless you have a VERY expensive super duper uk tv system don't bother to breing it with you sell if (for peanuts) and get a similar standard one here there are lots of offers from people like Dick Smiths of a 28 inch screen with teletxt (similar to those sold in the supermarkets in uk for about 245 pounds) for in the region of $385-$450 GOOD LUCK:lecture:

Incidentally - you cannot find an engineer who will adapt your uk tv for australian use. They either are not able to do so, the new tv's sold in europe and uk are not complete with the switchable mechanism or they have been told that they must not do so We have had all these answers from the 20 odd tv repairers and engineers we have contacted.