Reload this Page >

Taking Surfboard as Luggage....

Taking Surfboard as Luggage....

Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough
Default Taking Surfboard as Luggage....

Hi

Flights are booked for 2 weeks time to Perth and we're in no way ready, but trying somehow to organise shipping and sift through the endless junk/clutter that has been our lives for too long..anyway i digress. I have been told by the airline (emirates) that my surf board just comes within the length limit and can go on with luggage allowance (its quite light). Its obvioulsy fragile and i will be wrapping it sufficiently so as not to damage it - should i clean it? The shipping company says everything should be cleaned immaculately for customs- are they really going to remove sock/bubble wrap etc to check its conditon?
has anyone taken a board over? How did it go..

Thanks

Dave
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Surfboard as Luggage....

Originally Posted by loubie
Hi

Flights are booked for 2 weeks time to Perth and we're in no way ready, but trying somehow to organise shipping and sift through the endless junk/clutter that has been our lives for too long..anyway i digress. I have been told by the airline (emirates) that my surf board just comes within the length limit and can go on with luggage allowance (its quite light). Its obvioulsy fragile and i will be wrapping it sufficiently so as not to damage it - should i clean it? The shipping company says everything should be cleaned immaculately for customs- are they really going to remove sock/bubble wrap etc to check its conditon?

Thanks

Dave
Ditching mine and buying new out there. There again, it was knackered and the move seemed like a good excuse to upgrade.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:04 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks

Dave
I've taken a snowboard in and out of Australia on numerous occasions, they've never looked inside the travel bag. And when I've been waiting at the odd-shaped baggage section at the airport, I've seen loads of surboards arriving. Expecially on the flights from Japan, and I've never noticed anybody getting them inspected, just put through the X-ray machine.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
I've taken a snowboard in and out of Australia on numerous occasions, they've never looked inside the travel bag. And when I've been waiting at the odd-shaped baggage section at the airport, I've seen loads of surboards arriving. Expecially on the flights from Japan, and I've never noticed anybody getting them inspected, just put through the X-ray machine.
Keep an eye on it if you go through Indonesia . Also, I may be wrong but I think more surfboards have passed through Aus customs than you could shake a stick at. As long as there is no mud or anything organic on it, chill
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:22 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As long as there is no mud or anything organic on it, chill
I don't know what that might mean for the wax on the top of the board..
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks

Dave
I took a bike on the plane, packed in bubble wrap and in a carry case - they do unzip the case and open the bubble wrap so be prepared for it....it won't be the only one on the plane, there's always two or three on everyone I've been on.